What is the best SD memory card for Note 4 in 2015? What to swap between Note 4 and Camera?

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
What is the best SD memory card for Note 4 in 2015? Would like to use the same SD cards on Note 4 and camera. Are the micro SD to full sized SD adapters reliable enough to use frequently or should I get some type of external USB card reader? Features that matter are:

- Reliability?

- Durability?

- Transfer Speed?

- Class 4, 6 or 10?

- SDHC or SDXC?

- micro SD to full size SD Adapter?

- Price?

- Brand?

What other features matter?

Last edited:

Rowlette

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Use this in my Note4 and the Samsung Camera Samsung 64GB EVO Class 10 Micro SDXC up to 48MB/s with Adapter (MB-MP64DA/AM)

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
While I have not yet used this is the fastest 128GB microSD card I have found available: Lexar High-Performance microSDXC 633x 128GB UHS-I/U3 Flash Memory Card LSDMI128BBNL633R
It is listed as twice as fast as the Samsung and ScanDisk 128GB microSD cards.
I have used the ScanDisk 128GB, 64GB, and 32GB cards and the Samsung EVO 64GB and 32GB cards and all have worked perfectly for me. But if I was doing lots of 4K video or burst shots I would definitely try the Lexar due to it much greater speed.

Rowlette

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
XC in ExFAT format by Microsoft design where as HC uses non-proprietary fat32 system. Also I believe the maximum size of a HC would be 32GB.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend a class 10. They are not really much more expensive.

Keep in mind that class 10 is just standard requiring 10MB/s. So a card that can do 10 MB/s and a card that can do 90MB/s are both considered class 10.

Also ratings are for maximum speed. Actual speed can vary on what you doing.

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Spent a lot of time reading different articles and watching YouTube trying to understand the SD and micro SD Memory Card environment for 1Q2015. One year from now the models and prices will change enough to warrant a reevaluation of the SD Card landscape. It is a dizzying task with dozens of SC Card the place.

I evaluated the cards as a upper tier user, say from tier 1 to tier 2.5. The tier 1 cards have phenomenal speed but you pay a very high premium for the top-top tier of cards. The tier 1 cards are for people with money to burn or people who make a living taking pictures. My short list of cards came from three of the most popular brands Sandisk, Lexar and Transcend. Given the tier 1 cards are so much more expensive I focused on the tier 2 cards which were the tier 1 cards of 2013/2014 and have plenty performance at a very reasonable price.

These are some of the best articles on SD Cards. Thanks to all those who contributed these.

http://sportsphotoguy.com/d7100-raw-burst-test/

Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nikon D800 Fastest Memory SD CF Card Tests - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards

http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d3300/fastest-sd-card-tests/

13 Flash Memory Card Roundup: Does High Speed Really Matter? | Custom PC Review

SDXC/ SDHC/ SD support information page

Number of pictures that can be stored on a memory device

SD/SDHC/SDXC Specifications and Compatibility

These are some of the best YouTubes. Thanks to all those who contributed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqv-AldrnM0
A Youtube video (go to the 3:50 point)

From the above information:

Class rating defines the minimum transfer speed of the card .ie. Class 4, Class 6, Class 10

The smallest card these days is pretty much 8GB with these high read/write transfer rates. You can get 4GB SD cards but most of the retailers are starting at 8GB and a large part of this is due to camera technology getting better and cheaper. The highend cameras go up to 36MP and for $300 - $400 you can get a 24MP camera. Even the Smartphones have 16MP – 24MP cameras in 2015.

SDHC goes from 4GB - 32GB cards, SDXC goes from 64GB to 2TB, so get a card that is made for SDHC & SDXC.

The conclusion and my selection for SD and micro SD card is the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95/90 MB/sec family. Sandisk does a great job of specing cards with great Read and Write speeds that are close to each other so you don’t have to guess if the write speed is way less than the read transfer speed . The others may have very fast Read speeds but the Write may be 80-60 MB/sec so they can cut the price with lower performance.

As of today Amazon prices are around:

-Micro SD 16 GB Extreme Pro 95/90 MB/sec $29.99

-Micro SD 32 GB Extreme Pro 95/90 MB/sec $39.99

-Sandisk micro SD card adapter $3.99

-SD 16 GB Extreme Pro 95/90 MB/sec $29.95

-SD 32 GB Extreme Pro 95/90 MB/sec $39.95

Last edited: