What is the best "small-ish" phone?

Cubs Win

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
My contract is up and I have been looking for a new phone to replace my LG Viper, but I can't find anything that interests me. First I waited for the Galaxy S5 and decided I didn't want it, now the LG G3 is coming but I am turned off by the size. I keep waiting for something new to become available, but it seems that everything new just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

I simply want a phone that is easy to fit in my pocket, has good performance for apps, and has at least decent battery life. I don't care about what type of screen it has or how big the screen is. I just want something that is quick and functional, but unfortunately it appears that high-performance phones always have large screens and form factors.

Am I missing any potential options for me? Is there a phone that is relatively small, but still has comparable performance to some of the newer high end phones?

weknsmith

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I would agree that the Moto X is an excellent choice. I would however suggest waiting for the next generation of that phone to see if it will be a tri-band Sprint phone

Sent from my XT1056 using AC Forums mobile app

Cubs Win

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I waited to see what would be announced as the next generation of the Moto X and, unfortunately, it is no longer a small phone. So... now what?

I feel like it might be a mistake to buy the old Moto X at this point, since it won't continue to get updates and may be obsolete soon. All the other "mini" phones that I'm seeing announced aren't really mini. The G3 Mini and S5 Mini certainly aren't small, and are performance-gimped on top of that.

Is there anything else on the horizon that may be a solid performing, small form factor phone (and available on Sprint)?

My current phone is on the verge of death, so I don't know how much longer I will be able to hold out, but I just can't bring myself to buy one of the new tablet-sized phones.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for upcoming devices or anything else I may have overlooked? Thanks!

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Yup, either the 2013 Moto X, which is supposed to get at least one more round of major updates (to L, with the new voice stuff) or the Sony z3 compact. I'm also hoping it's available on Sprint, although I might consider an unlocked version and some discount vendor that re-sells AT&T service.

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm using the moto x 2013 and may possibly not bother upgrading this year, I'm really impressed with it

Posted via Android Central App

Cubs Win

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
The z3 Compact is intriguing. I didn't realize that Sprint may be getting it. I will try to hold out for news on that phone and if it ends up only coming to T-Mobile and/or Verizon then maybe it is time for me to switch carriers altogether.

RizaHawkeye

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Yup, the Sony Z3 Compact sounds God for you. Sony did the Mini phone right without downgrading all the specs. The Moto X might still be good. It's getting Android L at the very least.

Would the Nexus 5 be considered smallish for you? Maybe the next Nexus, if by some miracle they don't make it even bigger?

paulmroth1967

May 1, 2013
Visit site
It appears Sprint is no longer selling the 2013 Moto X on their website. All the other major carriers are still selling the Moto X, so I do not know what is going on with Sprint. It may be a coincidence, but the same time it was announced that Sprint would not be selling the 2014 Moto X, they stopped selling the old one. I too am holding out for the Z3 Compact, but the talk now is that it may be sold only as an unlocked phone. AT&T is getting the Samsung Galaxy Alpha starting this Friday, so it may be worth checking it out too.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
It appears Sprint is no longer selling the 2013 Moto X on their website. All the other major carriers are still selling the Moto X, so I do not know what is going on with Sprint. It may be a coincidence, but the same time it was announced that Sprint would not be selling the 2014 Moto X, they stopped selling the old one. I too am holding out for the Z3 Compact, but the talk now is that it may be sold only as an unlocked phone. AT&T is getting the Samsung Galaxy Alpha starting this Friday, so it may be worth checking it out too.

I don't think Sprint will get the Alpha.

Posted via the Android Central App

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
If you can't get the alpha I would say Nexus 5 or original Moto X. Nexus 5" sounds bigger but it's just as comfortable as the Moto X somehow Google did a great job designing It

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Tried the alpha out its a great phone but the shape I can't deal with the Moto X was too comfortable maybe the z3 compact will be better for me.

Mustang46L

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
So, now that the Moto X got bigger and the Z3 Compact doesn't appear to be coming to Sprint.. what choices do we have left for a small phone (4.6-4.8") with flagship features? Any phones yet to be announced later this year? I love my Moto X but I'm ready for a new phone..

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Wow I guess lg g2 is the smallest spark-compatible android phone sprint is selling now? And it's 5.2"? That seems crazy

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
So, now that the Moto X got bigger and the Z3 Compact doesn't appear to be coming to Sprint.. what choices do we have left for a small phone (4.6-4.8") with flagship features? Any phones yet to be announced later this year? I love my Moto X but I'm ready for a new phone..

None. Sprint kills me with this. Since forever they omit smaller phones from their lineup because they only have like 5 phones. Wth. Beyond frustrating. I'm gonna be on this moto x for years because of this. Arrrrgh.

Posted via the Android Central App

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I know very frustrating man. I hate iPhone and I'm seriously looking at buying one just cause it's 4.7"...the only other option is that Sony z3 compact.