What is the best way to send video without compression?

RealtorROb

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Hello,
I thought what's app didn't compress videos, but it does. Are there any texting apps that don't compres? Sometimes I wish I had an iPhone for this reason.

RealtorROb

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Please help with texts

Hello,
I asked this question earlier and never got a reply. So, I'll try it again. My question is, what texting apps can I use to send media uncompressed? I've tried what's app, which compresses alot, hamdcent does the same, go sms is terrible at compressing. How do people on android phones send videos?
Thank you.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Please help with texts

Might be a taboo question or something, cause I never get any help with it.

If you are sending a video then it'll have to be compressed to be sent. If you don't want compression then upload to a service (drive, Dropbox, etc) and send the link to download.

Videos and other large media don't do well when sent via text.

RealtorROb

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
How do Android users send video

Hello,
I would honestly like to know how people on Android send video and pics. I had a Note 5 and it was a great phone, but had to sadly return it for an Iphone 6s. The reason I returned the phone is because I couldn't send video or text without it being so compressed that it was not watchable. I purchased the Note 5 knowing that this was a problem and was willing to sacrifice the convenience of texting media using the stock application and try to get all my friends to use a third party applications, which i was able to achieve. I converted about 30 people to use Whats app, just so I could send video and pics. However, Whats app compresses data a lot. So, I tried Kik, same story. I went through about 10 diffrent apps trying to find a way to text without compression. (Gosms, Handcent, Google drive, Hangouts, kik, snap chat, ect....)
So, I really want to know how people on Androids communicate. Do people with Androids really not send videos or pics? That cant be right. I would love to get the Note 6, but if they don't fix this issue then I would never get it. I also know that its a Carrier issue and not an Android phone issue, but Iphone fixed this problem by using their own servers, Samsung should do the same. It just bums me out that such a great phone can't send video and pics due to carrier limitations send videos and pics.

Thanks for help.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do Android users send video

Hello,
I would honestly like to know how people on Android send video and pics. I had a Note 5 and it was a great phone, but had to sadly return it for an Iphone 6s. The reason I returned the phone is because I couldn't send video or text without it being so compressed that it was not watchable. I purchased the Note 5 knowing that this was a problem and was willing to sacrifice the convenience of texting media using the stock application and try to get all my friends to use a third party applications, which i was able to achieve. I converted about 30 people to use Whats app, just so I could send video and pics. However, Whats app compresses data a lot. So, I tried Kik, same story. I went through about 10 diffrent apps trying to find a way to text without compression. (Gosms, Handcent, Google drive, Hangouts, kik, snap chat, ect....)
So, I really want to know how people on Androids communicate. Do people with Androids really not send videos or pics? That cant be right. I would love to get the Note 6, but if they don't fix this issue then I would never get it. I also know that its a Carrier issue and not an Android phone issue, but Iphone fixed this problem by using their own servers, Samsung should do the same. It just bums me out that such a great phone can't send video and pics due to carrier limitations send videos and pics.

Thanks for help.

I would try uploading them to YouTube an sending the link -- this would be the best way. You can set the videos to private so everyone cannot view them.

iPhone solved it since they control iOS 100% --- Android is used & modified by a lot of manufactures so an implementation of iMessage isn't as easy to pull off.

thebossofdos

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
re:

I've never had an issue with sending pics, but as for videos they typically have to be no longer than like 15/30 seconds before compression is necessary. I know that kik recently updated and sending video is now possible, although I've yet to try it myself.

Posted via the Android Central App

RealtorROb

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Re: How do Android users send video

You tube compresses also, but I did try that option, it went like this.
Me: sends a link
Friend: whats this?
Me: its a link
Friend: to what?
Me: to a video of my dogs
Friends: Just send me the video
Me: I can't
Friend: Why

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
re:

For people using iMessages. Understand this isn't SMS or MMS like Android and other OS uses. They have dedicated servers for iMessages.

Now with that said i like to suggest Google Drive, Dropbox, or Photobucket. Just upload to one of the above and send link to receiver. Also understand 4k or UHD videos are large video files.