What is the encryption situation with the Mate 9?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I have gathered that the Mate 9 is not completely encrypted. I see no settings for encryption. I've done a little research and I've read something about the data partition being encrytped but I'm not sure I understood that information. It mentioned something about running into problems when rooting... not sure.

I asked on Amazon and got a response from Huawei USA that was not reassuring. It said they have a "vault" you can protect with your fingerprint and that it's a "safe phone."

Does anyone know if this phone is encrypted at all? If so, which part?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I have learned that the Mate 9 is definitely not entirely encrypted. There's a good chance none of it is encrypted. It does let you create an encrypted space on the phone. It appears you may be able to encrypt your microSD card though.

I am in the assessment phase of this phone. It works amazingly well. It's a really great phone. I have this small concern that it's a Chinese phone and it might not be repspecting the privacy of my data. What if it's like the Blu phones that sent data to China on a regular basis? I installed two apps that track communication between the phone and servers to see what comes up. So far, it's just found a couple apps communicating within the U.S. and nothing unexpected.

I also need to think about how important it is to me to have an entriely encrypted phone. I went without for years until I got my 6P. I know there is this big debate over encryption. I'm planning on sticking with this phone for about a year. I'm still thinking.

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I have learned that the Mate 9 is definitely not entirely encrypted. There's a good chance none of it is encrypted. It does let you create an encrypted space on the phone. It appears you may be able to encrypt your microSD card though.

I am in the assessment phase of this phone. It works amazingly well. It's a really great phone. I have this small concern that it's a Chinese phone and it might not be repspecting the privacy of my data. What if it's like the Blu phones that sent data to China on a regular basis? I installed two apps that track communication between the phone and servers to see what comes up. So far, it's just found a couple apps communicating within the U.S. and nothing unexpected.

I also need to think about how important it is to me to have an entriely encrypted phone. I went without for years until I got my 6P. I know there is this big debate over encryption. I'm planning on sticking with this phone for about a year. I'm still thinking.

What's China going to do with your data? All phones/computers in the US are being spied on by the government anyway.

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
If you're online there is no privacy, chances are you are being spied on even if you're offline. The government even listens to landline calls.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hennapatel