What is the "Samsung Galaxy App" and why is it sucking HUGE amounts of my data?

civilsin

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I just got notification from my cell provider that I've used 75% of my data for the month. I hardly ever get that high. So I went into my data usage to see what was sucking up my data and it was this app called "Samsung Galaxy". What the heck is that?
I went into the Application manager and tried to figure it out. I couldn't really get any good info. I turned it off (couldn't uninstall it) and was going to see what it impacted. I searched the Google Play Store and the Samsung App Store to see if I could find it and I couldn't. I tried Googling it, but as you can imagine googling "Galaxy S5 Samsung App" returned tons of results and not what I needed.
Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
IIRC, it is part of the Galaxy Experience.

It was updating a lot of stuff, stuff you and I have no use for.

I turned OFF everything on my phone that I don't use.

Make sure that in PlayStore, you have AutoUpdates turned OFF.

I also have System Updates turned OFF.

IMO, if the phone is not broke, don't be "fixing it" until it is broke.

I just got into a donny brook with a PDF scanner program I have used for a decade.
Neat Desktop Scanner: I have the tiny little satchel portable scanner, not the desk top clunker.

anyway, another update was forced on it today.... it broke the program. I had to uninstall the whole entire program, go back to Version 5.0.x and work my way thru all of the upgrades since then to get back to where I was before this all started........... to finally, after suffering thru 5 upgrades, it finally ended up at 5.5.2

it is a damn good thing, that I always save the FULL version of each and every upgrade. If I had not, I would have lost my paid for package.

Upgrades are NOT a panacea to perfection.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T BE FIXING IT !

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
My wife also has a SG S5 phone.

She only uses it as a phone, so I turned off every thing she don't use.

I use MacroDroid to turn off the data radios when the phone is locked and idle.

here is a typical screenshot of her phone.... no updates, no nada. Zilch...
just idling along waiting for a call from someone.

Attachments

• Battery 8 days 15 hrs.jpg
    Battery 8 days 15 hrs.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 31

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think you mean Samsung galaxy app store app. If you ever open it, it will automatically download couple of other apps like Samsung pay for apps and another (I forgot exact names). I immediately deleted, turned off those apps. Also turned off everything related to auto syncs in the galaxy app itself. Then I turned off the galaxy app and rebooted. After that, it doesn't do anything on my S5. If you don't know what it is, just don't open any bloatware app as a rule of thumb.

Tricia Cavanaugh

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
I just got notification from my cell provider that I've used 75% of my data for the month. I hardly ever get that high. So I went into my data usage to see what was sucking up my data and it was this app called "Samsung Galaxy". What the heck is that?
I went into the Application manager and tried to figure it out. I couldn't really get any good info. I turned it off (couldn't uninstall it) and was going to see what it impacted. I searched the Google Play Store and the Samsung App Store to see if I could find it and I couldn't. I tried Googling it, but as you can imagine googling "Galaxy S5 Samsung App" returned tons of results and not what I needed.
Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks.

Tricia Cavanaugh

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
CivilSin- Did you ever receive a reply to your post? I'm having the exact same issue & don't understand y I keep having to pay data usage overage charges when I'm not the one using the darn data!