What is using my GB internal memory in my Samsung Galaxy Edge 7? (See screenshot.)

androidloveryes

Dec 5, 2019
Visit site
hi
in need of clarity.

First id like to say that the external micro sd card is an unreliable place to store stuff since the phone itself sometimes does not see it as if it was not in the phone so i have to work with the internal memory only.

As you can see the (pic from my pc screen)24 g memory is almost all used with only 1.8g left.

ok so that means i have 22gig of used space . but what is the constituent of that 22g?

When you look at the other picture the most volume of data i have is music and vouideo aroud 7.5 gig together(screenshot of cellphone).

ok so 22g minus 7.5 equals 14.5g. what is that 14.5 gig , i cannot see it ... is that software? is that application i added from google play? how can i see what is using this 14.5 gig in hope i can delete a lot of it to have more free space...

sin setting it says andoid version 8.000 and samsung experience 9.0.

im confused can anyone help?

thanks

Attachments

• 20240225_151550.jpg
    20240225_151550.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
  • ScreenCaptures_2024-02-25-152828.png
    ScreenCaptures_2024-02-25-152828.png
    366.6 KB · Views: 12

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Definitely system (remember, part of the internal storage is already taken by the OS and any updates/apps that come bundled with it). You will not be able to see this on a computer as it's in a 'protected' section of the device (some files will be visible with the 'show System/Hidden files' option in Windows, however), and you can see how much of the System is being taken up only within the device's Memory management setting (this is a fairly old phone, so not sure if it's still called 'Device Care' or 'Memory Management' but it should be something similar). There you can see what the phone has stored per category, including system files.

androidloveryes

Dec 5, 2019
Visit site
ok thanks and how about the micros sd card.

I have read that it is a common problem on this phone. if i could access it in a consistent and easy manner well good lord that gives me a lot of space for music and vid! Any tutorial or post adressed this topic with success?

would be nice . thanks

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Just get yourself a thumb drive with the proper adapter cable and use that as expandable storage. Put pictures and music on it, stuff you're not going to use every day.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think the system and preinstalled bloatware takes up 8 GB (which is why it's showing 24 GB of usable storage). But I'm not sure how much of that missing 14 GB can be accounted for, since system and bloatware have been spoken for. Social media and messaging apps can sometimes build up a huge cache or data amount, so look through those kinds of apps in Settings>Apps to see if any are contributing a lot.

The DiskUsage app might be useful in tracking down what's taking up storage.

As for SD card issues -- that could be due to the card being faulty, low quality, or corrupt. SD cards are much less reliable than onboard memory, so they should never be relied upon to store important data (unless you're keeping that data backed up or synced somewhere safe). In addition, counterfeit SD cards are rampant on the web -- many "great deals" for SD cards on random websites are just low storage SD cards that have been tweaked to make the system think they're larger in size. But when you exceed the actual storage capacity of the card, that data can become corrupt.

Another potential explanation for SD card issues could also be the phone's SD reader. The S7 edge is an 8 year old phone, so I wouldn't be surprised if hardware started failing.

androidloveryes

Dec 5, 2019
Visit site
I think the system and preinstalled bloatware takes up 8 GB (which is why it's showing 24 GB of usable storage). But I'm not sure how much of that missing 14 GB can be accounted for, since system and bloatware have been spoken for. Social media and messaging apps can sometimes build up a huge cache or data amount, so look through those kinds of apps in Settings>Apps to see if any are contributing a lot.

As for SD card issues -- that could be due to the card being faulty, low quality, or corrupt. SD cards are much less reliable than onboard memory, so they should never be relied upon to store important data (unless you're keeping that data backed up or synced somewhere safe). In addition, counterfeit SD cards are rampant on the web -- many "great deals" for SD cards on random websites are just low storage SD cards that have been tweaked to make the system think they're larger in size. But when you exceed the actual storage capacity of the card, that data can become corrupt.

Another potential explanation for SD card issues could also be the phone's SD reader. The S7 edge is an 8 year old phone, so I wouldn't be surprised if hardware started failing.
how to where to buy micro sd card that are legit? i go on amazon but how to recognise a legit shop?

androidloveryes

Dec 5, 2019
Visit site
ho that could be a nice last choice plan to put only videos or music on...
For my phone, what gear do i need. is there a tuto with links somewhere ? i imagine it needs a special type of usb drive thanks

androidloveryes

Dec 5, 2019
Visit site

when i take out and put in my microsd card the phone tells me that my picture are going to be put on external from now on and ask be to agree or not. How to say no keep putting picture on internal memory but yes do show me the content on my external micro sd?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
how to where to buy micro sd card that are legit? i go on amazon but how to recognise a legit shop?
If you're buying from Amazon, you can check a couple of things. First, make sure the card is from a legit brand (like Sandisk, Samsung, Toshiba, PNY, Kingston, or Lexar, to name a few). Avoid any brand that is just a jumble of capital letters, since these are usually direct from China. Second, look at what Amazon storefront is selling the card -- it's best if it's the manufacturer's official storefront (so for example, a legit Sandisk card would have a "Visit the SanDisk Store" link under the title of the product page). Third, make sure the card is actually sold by Amazon, and not by one of the various Amazon Marketplace sellers -- you can tell by looking under the Add to Cart/Buy Now buttons, where it says Sold By/Shipped By.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
when i take out and put in my microsd card the phone tells me that my picture are going to be put on external from now on and ask be to agree or not. How to say no keep putting picture on internal memory but yes do show me the content on my external micro sd?
Are you asking about the default storage location for photos taken by your Camera app? You can always change that from within the Camera app's settings.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That would still suggest there's something wrong with the SD card or the phone's SD reader. You can try reformatting the card (using the phone) and seeing if the problems persist. If they do, then the card is probably failing.

But if the same thing happens with other legit cards, then I would focus more on the phone's SD reader. There's always a possibility that there's some debris in the SD slot that's causing issues, so you could try blowing out the slot using a can of compressed air. But if that doesn't help, then it's more likely a hardware issue, and it would not be worth the cost to repair this component on such an old phone.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
ok thanks and how about the micros sd card.

I have read that it is a common problem on this phone. if i could access it in a consistent and easy manner well good lord that gives me a lot of space for music and vid! Any tutorial or post adressed this topic with success?

would be nice . thanks
What kind of SD card are you using? One sometimes forgotten fact is that Samsungs of the older generations were notorious for issues with non-Samsung media cards. My S8+ completely went FUBAR on a MicroCenter card. After that, I used Samsung-branded cards thereafter, without further issue.

androidloveryes

Dec 5, 2019
Visit site
That would still suggest there's something wrong with the SD card or the phone's SD reader. You can try reformatting the card (using the phone) and seeing if the problems persist. If they do, then the card is probably failing.

But if the same thing happens with other legit cards, then I would focus more on the phone's SD reader. There's always a possibility that there's some debris in the SD slot that's causing issues, so you could try blowing out the slot using a can of compressed air. But if that doesn't help, then it's more likely a hardware issue, and it would not be worth the cost to repair this component on such an old phone.
is there a format preference i can do ntfs or the other i forgot.
also if my pc (with microsd to usbadapter) is working well does it confirm the card is ok?

androidloveryes

Dec 5, 2019
Visit site
What kind of SD card are you using? One sometimes forgotten fact is that Samsungs of the older generations were notorious for issues with non-Samsung media cards. My S8+ completely went FUBAR on a MicroCenter card. After that, I used Samsung-branded cards thereafter, without further issue.
ho nice to know samsung cards ...

Reactions: BergerKing

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
is there a format preference i can do ntfs or the other i forgot.
also if my pc (with microsd to usbadapter) is working well does it confirm the card is ok?
FAT32 is usually the best format, since it'll be compatible across all Android devices.

I'm not sure if the card working on your PC completely excludes a card problem. You should do a bunch of file operations using the PC and see if you encounter any issues. If you do, then it's more likely a card problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hackemail