What is your planned use for your aging 2012 N7?

sampoodle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Still struggling with 5.1, I wonder what I can plan on doing with the still excellent hardware. long-term. I would love to make it a single-purpose supplemental marine GPS, once the brightness versus power consumption issue is solved(?)

Your plan?

anon(5597702)

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I doubt any existing problems for the 2012 Nexus will be solved; isn't 5.1.1 the last official update it received?

In any case, I got the tablet not too long ago to replacing my aging PlayBook. I like it. I updated to 4.4.4 and didn't go beyond that for awhile. Was happy I did, based on reports about Lollipop's questionable performance.

I recently decided to unlock mine and install a custom rom, to have a newer OS, (hopefully) better security, and some optimization. I went with XenonHD (Lollipop based), and I'm glad I did. The N7 runs like a champ on this rom. The process is pretty straightforward with the Nexus Rom Toolkit. Worth a shot!

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a 2013 , but my 2012 gets heavy use as my map and GPS device. Also still used for the basics. It's right next to my bed. You tube keeps me awake. Gotta stop that.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Mine has been retired for some time as it is just so frustratingly slow. I can't believe this is just a software issue, but I do plan to try a third party rom before giving up on it entirely. Just haven't decided which one might be best at reducing my urges to throw this thing at a wall.

SonDan

Jan 27, 2011
oldschoolmusiclover.com
Mine has been retired for some time as it is just so frustratingly slow. I can't believe this is just a software issue, but I do plan to try a third party rom before giving up on it entirely. Just haven't decided which one might be best at reducing my urges to throw this thing at a wall.

I am with you. I try the cache wipe and all other means of revival but it just will not get up and go. I just find it hard to trash it. Keep hoping there is someway to bring it back to life.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

anon(5597702)

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I am with you. I try the cache wipe and all other means of revival but it just will not get up and go. I just find it hard to trash it. Keep hoping there is someway to bring it back to life.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

There already is -- see my comment above about XenonHD.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
There already is -- see my comment above about XenonHD.

My question is whether or not this is the best way to go. When I got this tab it had JB on it and was quite snappy (it was actually a friend's unit that i was impressed enough with to look at android again). Since then I don't recall seeing any noticeable performance increases with all of the various OTAs. In fact, I started to see laginess introduce somewhere in the timeframe of the KK updates. And then 'L' came along and really hosed it (but was not happy with 4.4.4 either) at the time (which is why I felt "how could it be worse?" and accepted the OTA).

Now the N7(2013) has gone from 4.3.x to 5.1.1 with none of the extreme performance degradation that my orig N7 has seen. I have read everything from this being software issues, to cheap/defective flash/controller that asus used. I don't really know what's wrong with mine, but to illustrate how bad things are; when sitting in the dock... and saying 'ok google', it could take 30 seconds to respond with the say prompt.

I am leaning towards just throwing 4.2 on it to see if that restores the performance I remember it had when new, and to rule out any hardware issues. If so, then investigating a 3P rom that may be more up to date but hopefully not slow it down to a crawl.

Thoughts?

frankenhooker

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I flashed my old N7 2012 with Cyanogenmod 11 and it runs smoother than it did the day I bought it. I think putting a different ROM on it is the way to go if you want the device to return to its previous glory.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

apuglisi

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Frankenhooker-

Glad to hear this! I have a Nexus 7 that I flashed back to Kit Kat from Lollipop due to the horrific issues that it was having. I would like to try something different with the Nexus 7; what sort of extra features have you gained using Cyanogenmod that is not available through Android?

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Lollipop was terrible on my N7. I flashed KitKat today and it's better, smoother....but still not perfect. some stuttering and lag on day 1.

So i'm gonna flash an earlier Android with NRT.