What phone to buy next

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I think it's getting to be time to consider replacing my N4. Not only is the GPS getting randomly flaky - sometimes it goes out for no reason and then while driving it comes back on. (In the same suburban area where I've been driving with it for years). Now the Bluetooth periodically doesn't connect. And worst, it just randomly shuts down at the most inopportune times.

I'd originally been holding out for a Pixel until I saw how much more it was. What attracted me to the N4 was it was a good phone and got quick updates and it was a reasonable price. I paired that with the $30 T-Mobile plan, dropped my Sprint account and was fat & happy (with more money) for quite a while.

Looking for something around $400-ish, and I figured maybe people lurking on this forum had originally been attracted to the phone for similar reasons and might have some thoughts. Or maybe since they have new phones, they all left. What the heck, it's worth a shot. I am not overly concerned about tons of storage since I still have space left on my 16 GB phone. I'm not a gamer and rarely stream

I'm currently seriously considering a OnePlus 3T but thought I'd ask before I hit the "buy me" button. Thanks!

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
The "getting close" thread is mine ;) and people have been helpful with that. Since I'd been so sure up until it was released that I'd buy a Pixel, I really hadn't kept up with what phones have become available, other than the more expensive, more well known phones, and was just trying to figure if there are any other less well known gems. But well known enough that there are still an assortment of accessories available. (Learned my lesson with a generic tablet for which there are no covers etc around). Thanks for the help.

sellmarg

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Your N4 had a good run. The N4 was my 1st smartphone and it's my go to backup. I went out of the conventional mold and bought a OnePlus One. Very happy.

I had no idea how rapidly OnePlus onboards new models. If you do go that way, stock up on any of their legit accessories (if you're a purist like me) you can think you need from them. Before you know it, they're on to the next model and the accessories begin to wane.

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it has had a good run. I was looking back at my T-mobile messages, and I activated it in early March of 2013. It has done well for my somewhat minimal needs, and has saved me from boredom in many a waiting room letting me surf around.

Before I seriously considered the 3T the first thing I did was go scour Amazon and assure myself that I could buy some cases in a variety of colors. And that I could buy additional DASH chargers/cables or use "regular" chargers with the phone. My one concern was that I'd no longer get updates if OnePlus goes away, but shoot, I no longer get updates on my N4. My bigger concern now is that I work and park in an iffy neighborhood, and I really want my phone to work when I need it! Not busy rebooting and reoptimizing itself when I'm alone in the parking lot.

I went ahead and ordered the 3T and it's on its way from China. Fingers crossed, but at least I have a 15 day return period. Then maybe I'll try a factory reset on the Nexus and keep it as a spare. Or as a handy remote control for my Roku!

Thanks to everyone for the input.