What the 4.4.2 Htc One KitKat Bar, in AT&T 's pocket, might taste like.

AshtonVibe

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
So, I've been watching closely on the Sprint and Verizon software updates Here, I've compiled a few changes we can expect from AT&T 's update:

1. No more lockscreen wallpaper options, or removal of the lock screen.

The ability to add widgets can be accessed by swiping from the right edge of the display to the left.
Why can't I change this? Technically speaking, before 4.4, you'll notice you can have the lockscreen wallpaper OR lockscreen with widgets, to name a few. If you add widget mode, it removes the wallpaper mode, and vica versa. So HTC has built in the LOCK SCREEN with the WIDGET Mode active. Hence why no more lockscreen wallpapers, and no more removing lock screen.

2. Camera - Focus/Zoom bar, at the bottom edge of the viewfinder, removed.

Now, one must pinch and zoom with two fingers. Pinch(Thumb and index finger apart and slide/pinch together), zoom(index and thumb together and slide apart/"unpinch").
Great, just when I've finally mastered the one-handed power off and on the phone trick....Not. Why?
Well, it was probably because it's one of those nearly useless wastes of space and system. You'll live.

3. Flash Player Removed.

No more Flash Player support, which means you'll want to consider not using your Internet browser for full online videos. Download the YouTube APP, download the Netflix APP, download the VEVO APP. Make sense? Just be ready to change habits when you have your personal time, and attempting to enjoy Family Guy videos for example.
Why? I LIVE on my phone?
Well Flash is not supported anyhow (officially), and it hasn't been, for awhile. All phones will soon be rid of this, and your favorite websites will have to change. Your welcome to keep your outdated Android version, phone, and soon to be useless Flash. All when everyone else finally leaves you behind. Just a matter of time.
(To be honest, I love flash. I've learned to know how to wield its awesome crashyness). Now since I have my newer iPad Air, I'll be fine. Why not save my battery on my HTC.

4. Google Now Integration Upgraded. (Caution: will become a major battery hog by design, which can be editing in Google Now settings. Just adjust the: "always on"/"continuous listening" option.)

Google Now will soon be accessible on.... your home screen, and with your voice! Just say: "Ok Google".
Yay! Although, still unsure on limitations at this point.

Do you need the widget?:
-Most likely not.
Do you need to have your phone on?:
-Of course.
Will it work in sleep mode?:
-I've heard...yeah I don't think so, and not likely.
Inside other apps?:
-Maybe a few.
Should I get Tasker?:
-Absolutely.

5. Blinkfeed Near Overhaul.

You can disable Blinkfeed now. Also, one can add new services to it, and adjust other settings. I've heard it acts like the Google Now function. Like how you can choose "Not Now" or "Follow", so now the same goes for the articles you see scrolling through Blinkfeed, at front. (Editing options will be accessible swiping from left to right)
Also note, you can disable Blinkfeed like completely....from view and add an extra page. (Hint: fewer home screens means better battery life.)

Last thing, here's a list of other, maybe significant or maybe not, changes for out HTC AT&T Ones:

-Emoji expansion in Hangouts. Also, better integration into phone messaging with Hangouts overall.
-Better battery life. (Hint: remember to reapply your settings that saved power before the update.)
-Fix to "haze" defect on some phones. (Though I've heard it's not a huge fix.) To be honest: you have a physically defective phone if you have purple hazes or such. So...no software update will TRUELY fix it.
- Color changes to wifi icon and batter indicator.
-Ability to edit/organize quick settings in notifications.
-Music integration and function changed a bit. (No large changes)
-More usless carrier junk.
-Photo Album reorganized, and minor visual changes. (It looks as though they put the default view on 'Events'.)
-UI changes. (Mainly on lock screen)
-General phone navigation (between screens and apps) is more fluid, and less lag.
-Added ability for location access. (ie: all location access settings on or off)
-Power optimizer settings changes.
-Annoying phone alerts and pop up notifications we care less to see. (Don't be alarmed if you see something about signals, tower location, etc pop up) You'll know an error when you see it....and feel it.
-Some small added camera effects.
-Font Changes to a few system functions and apps.
Etc. (Many details are unlisted, or will change, dependent upon future actuality, not current factuality. As said details have been based from sources, solely comprising of non-AT&T causality).

All in all, the update is coming, and you'll want to be ready to change someday. I mean come on, what do you think the HTC One successor will be using? If you have issues, start with a wipe of the cache partition, then a master/hard/factory reset. Then load a few apps at a time, s-l-o-w-l-y. Give it bit to adjust.

This discussion was about the HTC One AT&T, Locked, unrooted, non launcher using type of phone. Be cautious with the phones that ARE like this. I've heard a lot about how this update is coming, specifically with a BIG focus on security crackdowns and closing loopholes.

Main Takeaway: A.) Lock screen widget "always on" with design change. B.) Faster system UI. C.) Option to remove BlinkFeed. D.) Google Now enhanced functionality. E.) Camera: pinch and zoom F.)Cloud Printing. G.) Minor design changes throughout.

Last edited:

That70sGAdawg

Trusted Member
Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Great summary!! Thanks for the research. I hope "sound adjustments" don't mean we lose "beats" in the update since Beats and HTC have parted ways.Can anyone that has updated already confirm that the Beats software is still there? Maybe even louder? Love this phones sound!

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
The performance enhancements will be good. I used the GNex and the Moto X. The only thing I really liked from Kit Kat was swipe to delete in the native email app. The native email app is very poor other than that feature and the look like the Gmail interface. It does not sound like we will get that with the Sense email app. The HTC email is much better overall, but I miss swipe to delete.

AshtonVibe

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't want a lock screen!!! My phone is rarely out of my possession...

While on twitter, I know Htc stated they may bring it up to their tech team, to include the option to remove lock screen. You know all this time, I've had the lock screen on. I tried the different widgets just recently, and just cared about wallpapers on the lock screen.

Two weeks ago, I removed lock screen altogether and it was strange for me, but luckily, I'm not used to it. Never had a password lock, just used quick access home buttons or used the swipe up to unlock feature.

Posted via Android Central App

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Great summary!! Thanks for the research. I hope "sound adjustments" don't mean we lose "beats" in the update since Beats and HTC have parted ways.Can anyone that has updated already confirm that the Beats software is still there? Maybe even louder? Love this phones sound!
It is still available. I am on VZW tho

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadadmusa45