What was Google thinking

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
For those who prefer using an SD card, there are phones available that will enable you to do just that. Personally, I've seen too many SD card disasters, with users understandably upset because they cannot access the important data they've stored on SD cards that have become unusable. So, I prefer to stick with the cloud and USB drives, and prefer knowing that I can access my stored photos from any computer, etc.

I would hope, cardboard60, that you are not the owner of a Google phone, because Google has made it abundantly clear from the beginning that their phones do not have an SD card slot. So, it would seem to make sense that anyone who feels they must have an SD card slot on their phone would certainly not knowingly purchase a phone that clearly does not have an SD card slot. On the other hand, if you do not own a Google Pixel or Pixel XL, then it would seem there is little point to your complaint about the lack of a feature that is important to you on a phone you don't own and don't intend to purchase.

As you seem quite happy with the features offered by Samsung phones, and seem to have no concern for the less than timely updates, carrier bloat, etc., then it would make sense for you to continue on with that brand. Fortunately, there are plenty of options available in the smartphone market, so most of us should be able to find a device that suits our own individual needs.

Trying to learn about unlocked phones to have less bloatware.
But want to still have help from the carrier if that is possible.
Yall are way ahead of me.
Trying to understand and learn here.
Thought it was good to have a Sd card so you could use it for storage and go from phone to phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They didn't have the specs at the franchise verizon store. They quoted me wrong prices trying to get me to sign a plan for a new phone.
I asked about the phones. They told me wrong.
That's what I was talking about.
Blame Verizon then.. that isn't Google. I don't see how that is in any way Google's fault.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
To make the pixel phone and not put a SD card in it.
It's and enough to not make it waterproof.
But to rush it out with no SD card.
What was they thinking.

I don't see much use for MicroSD storage if people are afraid to use it as adoptable or internal storage. I'd much rather have PURE, on-board storage and don't like to see flagships released with only 32GB these days. I did experiment with adoptable storage for a while and I didn't have any major problem with it but I see most people don't trust it, even with a good card.

Currently, I go between a Moto Z Force Droid and Pixel XL. I honestly like the Moto better but it's 32 of On-Board is tight, even if I do often offload pictures to my home PC and then backup to external drives and cloud.

And speaking about water resistant...I had that concern this weekend when coaching flag football and we had to play in a short downpour. Was wishing I had my Moto Z that day. :)

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Never heard of a corrupt sd cards.
That is news to me.

Oh, and by the way:

My wife greeting our son at the airport when he came home on leave from his first (of two) tours of duty as a combat medic in Afghanistan:

IMAG0544.jpg

It, along with a few others taken that night) was corrupted when saved directly to the SD card of my HTC Evo 4G. Even if my current device supported SD cards, I would never again permit its camera to store images directly to the SD card.

Last edited:

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Never mind corruption you can easily lose the damn things.
So much easier to take a photo and find it there on the PC and ipad the next time you look

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
A SD card is a secondary storage medium. Not a miracle worker.

Never treat it as an expansion of your phone's main storage. Instead, treat it like a separate storage medium for either media or anything that isn't as important.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Consider this: Your smartphone is expendable. It is merely a tool to help you do things to increase productivity and enjoyment. It can be destroyed, it can be lost, it can be stolen, it can spontaneously catch fire (shout out Note 7), dropped into the ocean, etc. It can be replaced. However, information stored to its internal and SD cards cannot be recovered.

That's the beauty of cloud services. I could lose my phone, and be temporarily upset at the financial loss, but the photos and videos of my kids will be available on any replacement device. My notes, emails, documents, music library, accounts, apps, and more can be synced just as I had my original device.

I never put anything I am not willing to part with on an SD card unless it is backed up. My movies, tv shows, wallpapers, apks, games, also live somewhere else

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Consider this: Your smartphone is expendable. It is merely a tool to help you do things to increase productivity and enjoyment. It can be destroyed, it can be lost, it can be stolen, it can spontaneously catch fire (shout out Note 7), dropped into the ocean, etc. It can be replaced. However, information stored to its internal and SD cards cannot be recovered.

That's the beauty of cloud services. I could lose my phone, and be temporarily upset at the financial loss, but the photos and videos of my kids will be available on any replacement device. My notes, emails, documents, music library, accounts, apps, and more can be synced just as I had my original device.

I never put anything I am not willing to part with on an SD card unless it is backed up. My movies, tv shows, wallpapers, apks, games, also live somewhere else

It's 2017. It's time to trust the cloud to handle some of this stuff. Consider it your offsite backup.

Or maybe switch back to a non-smartphone and carry a PDA with no network access.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
except the couple of people complaining about sd card many who buy pixel are ok without sd card(including myself)

but if you think u need external storage(unless u want it all the time inserted in it) I have a solution for you.

buy a Type-C USB storage which can be used in phone and pc

but if u dont have a Type C computer or a Type C USB storage then u can use the Type-C to USB adapter that came with the Pixel to mount regular USB storage.

I carry a small USB with me and with the adapter i can access it from my phone

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
You can't use smart switch to transfer things ?

Smart Switch is a Samsung software tool for use with Samsung devices. For example, you can use Smart Switch to transfer your data from your old iPhone or Android device to your new Samsung device, or you can use Smart Switch to make and/or restore a backup of your Samsung device.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Just drove 30 miles to a corporate Verizon dealer. Tried to buy a Pixel XL. He said it would have to be ordered. Could he ship it to me. Said it would be great. He said do you want me to turn the Note 5 you have with at&t on and put a sims card in it with the unlock code you have.
Gave him the unlock code, the Account number and everything for AT&T.
He said your phone is not in the system. I can't turn it on.
Guess that means my Wifes At&t Galaxy S7E ain't in the system either. So when I get the unlock code she can't use it on Verizon either.

Not a good day.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't answer that question.
I've had 6 iPhones and 4 Samsung phones.
Don't know or understand about Google phones..thought the pixel was the 1st Google only phone.

Google hasn't had an SD card in any of their phones since the Nexus One from 2010.

Android One phones - Google's initiative to make phones for emerging markets that don't suck - have SD slots, but technically aren't Google phones IMO.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just drove 30 miles to a corporate Verizon dealer. Tried to buy a Pixel XL. He said it would have to be ordered. Could he ship it to me. Said it would be great. He said do you want me to turn the Note 5 you have with at&t on and put a sims card in it with the unlock code you have.
Guess that means my Wifes At&t Galaxy S7E ain't in the system either. So when I get the unlock code she can't use it on Verizon either.

Not a good day.

Authorized dealer or actual corporate store?

I don't see why anyone would attempt to put an AT&T Galaxy S7 edge on Verizon.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Not a good day.

Although AT&T carrier branded Samsung phones can be carrier unlocked, that does not necessarily mean they will work, or at least work properly, on a different carrier of your choosing. Different carriers use different bands/radios, and not all phones are equipped to use all bands. In addition, even if your AT&T branded phones are successfully moved to another carrier, they will never be able to receive an update, not even an important security update. Samsung's AT&T branded phones only receive their updates OTA (Over The Air) from AT&T. In order to do this, the phones must be using an active AT&T SIM card and connected to the AT&T network, with one exception... You may be able to have an update flashed to your phone at a Samsung Experience Center located inside most Best Buy stores, but that's pretty much the only exception.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
...yeah. Avoid those places unless that authorized retailer is someone like Best Buy.

If I get another phone, Its gonna have to be a unlocked one.
Only place I've had any luck with that is Best Buy.
Having to go threw too much BS to take phones to Verizon.
Wished the United States Government would step in and Stop this Stuff.
If you pay for a phone,.
You should be able to take it anywhere.
And the carrier should be made to unlock it in the stores.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201