What's so Great About Flash on Froyo?

Adam G

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Can somebody remind me why this is great? All I have seen so far are a few more commercials that I wouldn't have otherwise seen.

Thanks

egeorge1

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I believe you can set it to run flash only on demand through your browser settings, dolphin HD anyway.

sent from my Epic 4G

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have it set to ondemand which is default setting but those flash ads still play slowing up the browser. There isn't a single video I need flash for so I disabled it for a smoother browsing experience. Flash on mobile is mostly about delivering ads. I have not come across any online video that actually needed flash, they all play fine in the video player.

tgaskill

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I've already used the flash video support on Vimeo, and I've not had any problems with ads yet. I have AdFree, though, which might eliminate some of the ads that slow down the browser. I'm sure there are other sites with flash video (news sites, DailyMotion, etc.) where it could come in handy. In the months without Flash, I had several instances where I couldn't watch something because of a lack of Flash.

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I've already used the flash video support on Vimeo, and I've not had any problems with ads yet. I have AdFree, though, which might eliminate some of the ads that slow down the browser. I'm sure there are other sites with flash video (news sites, DailyMotion, etc.) where it could come in handy. In the months without Flash, I had several instances where I couldn't watch something because of a lack of Flash.
Those videos on Vimeo play fine in the video player. Works better in the video player also. I've yet to find any worth while video that actually need flash to play. Most online videos are already optimized for mobile phone streaming.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
If you root there is a good chance the Hulu app we used on Froyo DK28 would work on Froyo Eb13.

I haven't tested this yet (Hulu) but the option is there to try.

[How To] Root Samsung Epic 4G Official Froyo EB13

Compendium of Froyo DK28 Themes & Add-Ons | Last Update 2/18
(The Hulu app is at the bottom of the list for ClockWorkMod 2.x.x.x)

The hulu app works but you have to download a flash hack first.
And then it is easier to just use the dolphin browser and go to the hulu
website

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5111

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
The hulu app works but you have to download a flash hack first.
And then it is easier to just use the dolphin browser and go to the hulu
website

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
So if I use the Dolphin Browser, I still need the a Flash hack? Details?

big_bake

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I navigated to a site I visited last week. The videos would open up in the video player. Checking it today after updating to 2.2, the videos play directly on the site. Neither seems to be better, guess it's just one less step.

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Flash tools and apps.

At some point Flash became an important video wrapper and then it got ruined IMO since there are many tools that are developed for Flash and people just always care about video bah.

Anyway, we use a tool called splunk at my company to sort server logs and it presents much of its information in dynamic Flash charts. I'm the only guy at my office that can check those tools on his mobile phone, and that's quite useful. I also do very advanced product simulations with Flash and can show them off at any time with my phone. Sure, many will think "but you can do that with HTML5." Yes, and no.

If it's strict code, HTML5 will do. When you get to do complex graphical animations and code, Flash will beat HTML5 any day of the week. For instance, one of our products is a specialized software for compact PoS machines, such as Hypercom terminals. In a recent RFP, our rival company was showing it off in the tiny terminals. I just fired off a Flash app that I developed which is a full simulation of the terminal with the software, including all the physical functions that aren't simply on the screen, such as a the physical buttons (and all their functions within the app), and a demonstration of the receipts being printed and the information on them on a huge monitor that everyone in the presentation could see at once. Guess which company won the proposal? And when I was developing it, most didn't care for my demo, but I did get to show it off to the CEO during a lunch break on my phone and he loved it.

So yea, Flash is a huge deal that gets maligned by bad developers that just put a badly coded ad with some crazy loops in them...

heymista

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
There is a home automation system called Control 4 which I have. I can adjust my thermostat, lighting, alarm, etc from the internet or a touch panel. It requires flash 10.1 to be able to use on Android.

There are several work related websites I use that require flash as well. I am surprised more people have not noticed websites that will not open properly due to not having flash.

bdiddy1724

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
can i get some help.. is flash working for anyone on the full espn.com site? Everytime i try to play a video it just shows a picture instead of letting me play the video

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armydudeJC