What's your favorite RSS reader? (And win a free case)

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Have to vote NewsRob as well.

Though I did get a few apps on my ToTry list from this thread.

I'm trying NewsRob now. It does not allow for multiple accounts to be open at the same time. You have to log out and back in. In Google Reader, one can quickly switch accounts.

I checked into gReader (no folder view, single account only), Buzz Box (no Google integration, can import feeds but not sync them), RssDemon, Fast reader and NewsRoom (no Google integration).

To date Google Reader (the app) is the quickest and most flexible (but has its quirks and is a huge memory hog). NewsRob is quick with a nice interface. If it allowed for multiple accounts, it would be near perfect.

miwocark

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
RssDemon is my favorite, quick, clean and best for offline reading. plus latest version has buildin podcast integration, amazing

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Quick update on my NewsRob experience. I am now a full believer. The latest updates have fixed several of my concerns.

First, there has been confusion about products and their Google integration. I have been looking for an RSS reader that fully syncs with Google Reader. Many products advertise as Google compatible. What they mean is you can export your feeds from Google and import them to the new product. They DO NOT sync with Google. I use FeedDemon on my laptop (which syncs with Google) and want to have all changes made to my feeds go across to all platforms.

NewsRob and Google Reader both sync directly to the Google Reader (online) servers and reflect changes.

NewsRob now has full integration with Google accounts on my Moto Droid. It is now easy to log out of one account and log back in with a click to another. If you don't want your accounts linked to your phone, you can enter the account information manually.

I haven't found any app that handles multiple accounts simultaneously. Google Reader is quicker in switching accounts, but it has other serious drawbacks.

The other huge improvement for NewsRob is pinch-zoom when reading an article. The app also gives an option for showing the zoom buttons. Google Reader has NO zoom ability -- which is very annoying when images are too small to view properly.

Previously, I was mostly using Google Reader (the app and the mobile web version prior to that). The mobile web version is quirky. The app is a huge memory hog storing every viewed item in the phone's main memory. NewsRob stores data on the SD card, freeing up limited phone memory. I'm uninstalling Google Reader and using NewsRob full time.

I'm using the free version, but thinking of upgrading to the Pro version to get rid of the ads and have some more functionality. Any experience with the pro version from others?

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
RssDemon is my favorite, quick, clean and best for offline reading. plus latest version has buildin podcast integration, amazing

I downloaded RssDemon and tried it for a bit. It was frustrating that it did not group feeds by Google folders. I have a lot of feeds to review, some for work and some for personal use. The long list of feeds is much to difficult to manage. Folders works very well, especially when I want to view items from multiple feeds together.

NewsRob is offline capable, but I haven't tried offline reading. I have good internet (wi-fi or 3G) connectivity most places. The few times I'm on an airplane, I can live with not having access to the feeds for a few hours. Though, I might try it before my next flight.

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Definitely Google Reader... laptop and phone in sync. It recently deleted some apps I had that were website or news related. I just check the Google Reader app, view posts I want or view using browser. I wish it could be run from the SD card though.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Kalifornia

Dude
Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
From a UI perspective, Pulse is incredible. It reminds me of Flipboard for the iPad (which in itself is also an amazing app). IMO so much more appealing than a traditional RSS Reader layout.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos