Whatsapp - restoring deleted messages from a local backup

ilesmark

Mar 14, 2018
Visit site
Hi all

I have WhatsApp on my Galaxy S7 which is set to backup to iCloud every 2AM in the usual way. Restoring from the last iCloud backup is straightforward but a few days ago I wanted to restore some messages from a particular day earlier than this. I went onto the WhatsApp website and into the FAQ section where I followed these steps as detailed:

To restore a less recent local backup

Your phone will store up to the last 7 days worth of local backup files (Google Drive will only have the most recent one). If you wish to restore a local backup which is not the most recent one, you will need to do the following:

- Download a file manager app.
In the file manager app, navigate to sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases. If your data is not stored on the SD card, you may see "internal storage" or "main storage" instead of sdcard.
- Rename the backup file you wish to restore from msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12 to msgstore.db.crypt12. It is possible that an earlier backup may be on an earlier protocol, such as crypt9 or crypt10. Do not change the number of the crypt extension.
- Uninstall WhatsApp.
- Install WhatsApp.
- Tap Restore when asked.

Problem - instead of restoring the data I wanted (and I know that the backup file I renamed was the one from the day in question) it restored only the last 24 hours of messages.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Mark