Question When calling voicemail, screen goes blank, I cannot choose any options, can only force a power off

splinternet

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
I've got a 7 y.o. Huawei P10 Plus which has worked pretty much flawlessly. Today, if I dial my voicemail, the call is made but my display goes blank and I cannot choose any options. The phone is completely unresponsive, all I can do is force a power off. Then after powering up again, I go through the whole rigmarole again. Yesterday, I noticed that Google Maps suddenly stopped displaying maps, I had to power off and on again then it was OK. Are these two incidents connected? (Maybe a separate question: can I uninstall/delete the phone app and download/reinstall it? What would I lose?)

splinternet

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
You can try clearing the app cache/data for the Phone app in Settings>Apps. The only data you'd lose would be the settings, which you can easily readjust to your preferences.

Try also wiping the cache partition, which won't affect any personal data: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/huawei/huawei-p10-plus/
There is no Phone app in the apps list. The link you sent is for "wipe data/factory reset" - won't this wipe my personal data?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There is no Phone app in the apps list. The link you sent is for "wipe data/factory reset" - won't this wipe my personal data?
In the Settings>Apps list, see if there's an option to "Show System", in case the phone considers the Phone app a system spp.

There should be a Wipe Cache Partition option in the recovery menu (as shown in one of the images on that site). Choose that, not Wipe Data.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Vernelle

Apr 4, 2024
Visit site
I've got a 7 y.o. Huawei P10 Plus which has worked pretty much flawlessly. Today, if I dial my voicemail, the call is made but my display goes blank and I cannot choose any options. The phone is completely unresponsive, all I can do is force a power off. Then after powering up again, I go through the whole rigmarole again. Yesterday, I noticed that Google Maps suddenly stopped displaying maps, I had to power off and on again then it was OK. Are these two incidents connected? (Maybe a separate question: can I uninstall/delete the phone app and download/reinstall it? What would I lose?)
Your phone is 7 years old. Hmm...
1. Clearing the caches under the Settings then Apps then Storage. Might help. THEN UNDER APPS FIND EACH APP YOU'RE HAVING TROUBLE WITH.
1. MAKE SURE ALL THE NOTIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN TURN ON.(CHECK EACH ONE INDIVIDUALLY) **MAKE SURE(If you have this setting) **"Used Apps Go To Sleep" is TURNED OFF on THOSE APPS.. MAPS & VOICE MAIL. **Make Sure you've give permission too.
2. When was the last time your phone carrier/phone model sent down any software updates to you.? On newer phones you can go under Software or Accesability.
3. Finally you can go to the Individual App and check the Settings.
I hope this helps

splinternet

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
In the Settings>Apps list, see if there's an option to "Show System", in case the phone considers the Phone app a system spp.

There should be a Wipe Cache Partition option in the recovery menu (as shown in one of the images on that site). Choose that, not Wipe Data.
I found a Phone app with "Show System" and cleared cache but problem remains.

I've backed up everything using HiSuite so I think I'll do a factory reset.

Vernelle

Apr 4, 2024
Visit site
Are you in the USA?
Check your PLAY STORE where you get Apps. Most Phone carriers today provide Free Text Voice mail Apps. Vodafone does have this for some. I use mine for Tmobile. How it works is when someone calls the call is recorded like Normal... But it also translated into TEXT. So I can READ MY VOICEMAIL OR LISTEN TO IT.

splinternet

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
This is a copy of what I've just posted in another post "Can HiSuite backup be recovered to a different brand?".

Late yesterday evening, I bit the bullet and backed everything up to Windows using HiSuite. I then did a factory reset on the phone, followed by a restore of the backups. The good news is that the original problem (described in another post - "When calling voicemail, screen goes blank, I cannot choose any options, can only force a power off") is resolved. The bad news is that of my 120 apps which HiSuite backed up, less than half were successfully restored, so I'm probably going to be spending the rest of the weekend on this. Two problems in particular: I couldn't sign-in to Google - it said I'd been sent a notification to validate the device but nothing arrived. This took me over an hour to sort out via Windows, it seems sorted now but in truth I don't know how. And this morning, I re-installed my Arlo home security app and, like Google, Arlo is apparently sending a verification to my phone but nothing arrives. I can't login to my Arlo on Windows until it recognises my phone. What is it about the phone which neither Google nor Arlo (and potentially other apps) don't recognise?

splinternet

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Check your PLAY STORE where you get Apps. Most Phone carriers today provide Free Text Voice mail Apps. Vodafone does have this for some. I use mine for Tmobile. How it works is when someone calls the call is recorded like Normal... But it also translated into TEXT. So I can READ MY VOICEMAIL OR LISTEN TO IT.
Thanks for the tip. I searched Google Store for "vodafone voicemail app" but it only lists the standard "my vodafone" app which I've already installed. I'm not aware this allows translation of voice messages into text but I'll ask Vodafone and report back.

splinternet

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I searched Google Store for "vodafone voicemail app" but it only lists the standard "my vodafone" app which I've already installed. I'm not aware this allows translation of voice messages into text but I'll ask Vodafone and report back.
Vodafone say it can't be done. Mind you, they also said it was not possible to dial into your voicemail from another phone, but then I found this which does exactly that. But Vodafone remain in denial about it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr_Mendelli