Question when i force move my apps to the SD card, does it also transfer the data?

ethmcg16

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
i have a plan to factory reset my tablet, but 1 thing that concerns me is, when I get my apps back from my sd card, will I be able to keep my data?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I assume when you say, will I keep my data, you mean will your apps still have your log-ins, account info and game progress saved? The short answer is no. You can perform a backup with your Google or Samsung account which will save and restore some items but will you be whole? No. You'll find that with email apps, your accounts may be restored but you'll still need to log in to them to gain access, you just may not have to enter each email. Some of this is also app dependent too. So game saves and things like that may restore if you're using your Google Play account to log into or as an account on the game. For the most part you're going to have to log in to everything again and may lose anything that isn't backed up.

You may want to try a backup program from the Play Store. I still recommend MyBackUp Pro even though I don't know if it's still out there. LOL. A backup app will give you more of what you're looking for as far as backing up data. Google will back up the fact that you have the app. Logging into the app with your Google or Google Play account may restore some data but Android isn't really like backing up your PC where everything is restored the way it was when it was backed up. Apps like MyBackUp Pro go an extra layer deeper and maintain data for apps that will allow it to. Some apps may block restored data to avoid being duplicated and used to breach security.

I know none of this was what you wanted to hear. The only way I know of to get true restorable backups is to root the device. The catch is if you haven't rooted the device before you need to wipe the device to do it and without root you'll have the same old sorry backups.

What kind of data are you hoping to save?

ethmcg16

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
I assume when you say, will I keep my data, you mean will your apps still have your log-ins, account info and game progress saved? The short answer is no. You can perform a backup with your Google or Samsung account which will save and restore some items but will you be whole? No. You'll find that with email apps, your accounts may be restored but you'll still need to log in to them to gain access, you just may not have to enter each email. Some of this is also app dependent too. So game saves and things like that may restore if you're using your Google Play account to log into or as an account on the game. For the most part you're going to have to log in to everything again and may lose anything that isn't backed up.

You may want to try a backup program from the Play Store. I still recommend MyBackUp Pro even though I don't know if it's still out there. LOL. A backup app will give you more of what you're looking for as far as backing up data. Google will back up the fact that you have the app. Logging into the app with your Google or Google Play account may restore some data but Android isn't really like backing up your PC where everything is restored the way it was when it was backed up. Apps like MyBackUp Pro go an extra layer deeper and maintain data for apps that will allow it to. Some apps may block restored data to avoid being duplicated and used to breach security.

I know none of this was what you wanted to hear. The only way I know of to get true restorable backups is to root the device. The catch is if you haven't rooted the device before you need to wipe the device to do it and without root you'll have the same old sorry backups.

What kind of data are you hoping to save?
game data

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which tablet do you have, and how are you moving the app to the SD card? Did you format the SD card as Internal Storage (aka Adoptable Storage), or did you use some option in the system settings to move the app to the SD card?

The latter option (moving an app to the SD card) doesn't move the entire app, because the main part of the app's files have to remain on internal storage in order to work properly. Only certain data portions of the app move to the SD card. This may or may not include saved game data -- it depends on how the developer coded the app. If you're hoping to factory reset your tablet but retain your saved game data, I don't think this method will work.

Which games are you concerned about? As VidJunky mentioned, a lot of games can save your progress to the cloud (typically via your Google Play Games account). Also, why do you want to factory reset your tablet? If it's not functioning well, there are other troubleshooting steps you can try first before doing something that drastic.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Depending on how old of a tablet you have it can store partial app data in that case best to move them back to internal storage then safely unmount the SD card sometimes they get corrupted just with factory reset leaving them in but down the road if it only allows partial app data then not worth putting on an SD card just use it as external for pictures, videos files but even that don't trust and back it up.

ethmcg16

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
Which tablet do you have, and how are you moving the app to the SD card? Did you format the SD card as Internal Storage (aka Adoptable Storage), or did you use some option in the system settings to move the app to the SD card?

The latter option (moving an app to the SD card) doesn't move the entire app, because the main part of the app's files have to remain on internal storage in order to work properly. Only certain data portions of the app move to the SD card. This may or may not include saved game data -- it depends on how the developer coded the app. If you're hoping to factory reset your tablet but retain your saved game data, I don't think this method will work.

Which games are you concerned about? As VidJunky mentioned, a lot of games can save your progress to the cloud (typically via your Google Play Games account). Also, why do you want to factory reset your tablet? If it's not functioning well, there are other troubleshooting steps you can try first before doing something that drastic.
well my tablets going slow

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao