When people say the folds are to expensive

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
My thoughts in general is that phones are getting too expensive. Most people upgrade every 2 years, and phones are easily getting toward $1,000. The E waste can be concerning, on top of the idea that you can look at the equivalent of people essentially buying a mid range gaming pc every two years.

In regard to the lead post about the VCR being expensive at first an then coming down in price, I have a couple counter points: 1. the VCR was usually good for several years, not showing wear and tear after 2. I don't think the average price of phones has come down at all over the past few years. If anything they have creeped up. Now, I do get the idea of inflation, but there was inflation for the time frame of the VCR as well.
The VCR back then at that price or the $1,000 prices as they were that high also was expensive back then. Phones can last a long time also, people didn't upgrade back then like they do now days.

Costs of cell phones have been higher then you think, in fact the cost of today's phones are not that much higher then earlier phones. The cost was hidden because they had 2 year contracts which lowered the cost to consumers greatly. Now we pay full price or get monthly credits in which case brings the cost of today's phones cheaper then earlier phones. I searched the cost of the Motorola star tac flip phone and it was $1,000. That was for a analog flip phone, no data, just new technology for the time. I probably should have used this as an example since it's more related to phones.

I had the Motorola star tac phone and it was a great phone, but expensive.
729eeb5f700e6c6aa151f5dd9a860e75.jpg

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The VCR back then at that price or the $1,000 prices as they were that high also was expensive back then. Phones can last a long time also, people didn't upgrade back then like they do now days.

Costs of cell phones have been higher then you think, in fact the cost of today's phones are not that much higher then earlier phones. The cost was hidden because they had 2 year contracts which lowered the cost to consumers greatly. Now we pay full price or get monthly credits in which case brings the cost of today's phones cheaper then earlier phones. I searched the cost of the Motorola star tac flip phone and it was $1,000. That was for a analog flip phone, no data, just new technology for the time. I probably should have used this as an example since it's more related to phones.

I had the Motorola star tac phone and it was a great phone, but expensive.
729eeb5f700e6c6aa151f5dd9a860e75.jpg

Fair point about the hiding of costs behind a contract. But even if people are keeping them longer than 2 years, I don't think it's by much. Not long enough to significantly drop the year over year cost of the phone. The flip phone, for example can easily last a lot longer due to not being on it as frequently as people are with smartphones.

I will agree that new technology is expensive at first. The folding screen probably had a lot of R&D in it. And we do pay for it. But aside from tech like the folding screen, phones have gotten really expensive.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
This is what I think about when I hear people say the fold phones are to expensive.

VCR's were new and expensive back then, that was a lot of money back then for such things.

That was new technology back then and it was expensive back then at first also. My father was very tight with his money and didn't buy extras but he even spent $600 on one. The fold falls into the new technology category IMO.

New technology always costs more at first and as it gains ground and more competition comes out prices will come down. Also back then we didn't have the need to upgrade every year for small advances, we kept that VCR for years. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221126/214d674bdce4244cef2253f25d9ef54f.jpg

Love the Kmart. LOL

I just ordered my Fold4 from Sammy. With the special they had and my military $75 discount, it was just a fraction over $1k. Low enough I felt like trying it out. I'm coming from an iPhone Mini, so the smallest form factor to the largest. LOL

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
$1,800 is expensive for this phone. The only reason I have it now is because I was able to snag it for $1,200 on Amazon with 24 monthly payments.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
$1,800 is expensive for this phone. The only reason I have it now is because I was able to snag it for $1,200 on Amazon with 24 monthly payments.
You can do better then that. I snagged the fold 3 for $187 with trade with no payments and the fold 4 for $411 after trade with no payments. Keep trying, you can do better.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz