Where are the "Google" built for tablet apps??

Michael Alan Goff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I believe the subject is "why so few tablet specific apps", which is what I was addressing (or at least stating my feelings on). In my not usually very humble opinion, the browsers and flash help address that department; not to mention that being one of the key advantages of the Android platform.

I won't argue that there may be advantages to tablet-specific apps, but isn't one of the goals of ICS to help unify the platform and reduce fragmentation? To me, that would suggest a reduction of focus on targeted apps.

Give me an idea of what you feel defines a tablet specific app. The screen size? Do we then have "10 inch" and "7 inch" specific apps? Is it the processor or memory? That's going to end up being a wide-spread variation of options. Is it a particular set of functionality? Again, tell me what functionality sets apart a tablet app from a smartphone app (aside from the obvious phone features).

The only reason I brought up the iPad was to answer a specific statement by another forum member. If you feel it makes me look like a "fanboy" to address someone else's thoughts, so be it; but please check the topic and discussions before suggesting someone is off them.

The thing that defines a tablet app, against a non-tablet, is the use of the screen. When an application os made for a smartphone, they're made to deal with specific issues. A screen the size of 4.5 inches or smaller requires certain things. The Gmail application is a good example on how to use the different size.

It actually makes use of the increased screen size.

As for why I called you a fanboy, it wasn't about bringing up you bringing up the iPad. I was bringing up your idea that "flash makes up for everything" as well as the antagonistic stance that you seem to have against the iPad itself. They're both tools, not religions.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The thing that defines a tablet app, against a non-tablet, is the use of the screen. When an application os made for a smartphone, they're made to deal with specific issues. A screen the size of 4.5 inches or smaller requires certain things. The Gmail application is a good example on how to use the different size.

It actually makes use of the increased screen size.
IMHO, the line between needing a tablet app and simply using your favorite browser to access the website becomes blurry at 10 inches. If you are accessing web based info, should there be a tablet app that completely recreates the full bodied experience of the website, or should people simply create a bookmark?

I believe Google is going down the later path. Not exclusively, of course. Clearly, the table Gmail app is an example. It could easily be argued it is unnecessary.

For apps that don't require an internet connection or rely on web-based content for the majority of what it presents, then sure, make a tablet app.

As for why I called you a fanboy, it wasn't about bringing up you bringing up the iPad. I was bringing up your idea that "flash makes up for everything" as well as the antagonistic stance that you seem to have against the iPad itself. They're both tools, not religions.
Your comments are misdirected. I think you want to pick that fight with neller2000, not johnowolf. johnowolf's comments were appropriate, considering both the context of this thread and the claim by neller2000 regarding the number of iPad apps and the claim everything on the iPad worked perfectly. johnowolf simply pointed out two glaring deficiencies in the iPad. ... no choice of browser... inability to experience the entirety of the internet. There was no fanboy element to it, just facts.

IMHO, there was more of a fanboy element to neller2000's statement than johnowolf's, but I wouldn't go so far as to call neller2000 a fanboy. I think we all need to raise the bar on this fanboy stuff. If someone is a raving lunatic in a positive way about one and a raging lunitic in a negative way about the other, then sure, call them a fanboy. But apart from that extreme, where does one draw the line between reasonable people preferring one platform over the other for valid reasons and being a "fanboy"?

neller2000

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
IMHO, there was more of a fanboy element to neller2000's statement than johnowolf's, but I wouldn't go so far as to call neller2000 a fanboy. I think we all need to raise the bar on this fanboy stuff. If someone is a raving lunatic in a positive way about one and a raging lunitic in a negative way about the other, then sure, call them a fanboy. But apart from that extreme, where does one draw the line between reasonable people preferring one platform over the other for valid reasons and being a "fanboy"?

I'm not a fanboy of any particular platform, I've enjoyed iOS, Android, WebOS equally. I currently have the Motorola Xoom, which doesn't have any true offering of tablet apps in the Market store. Only a featured section, which isn't apps designed for the tablet and only the tablet. I came from iOS this time and was entirely, fully and without question EXPECTING a tablet app section. Are you saying I'm asking too much?

The apps I have on the Xoom don't function fully. Not even close. Skype, no video calling there. Google Chat, no video calling there. Google Voice, never mind, it's not even there for the Xoom. Heck, even my now discountinued Touchpad has Skype two way videocalling. Facebook, app crashes every time I hit the Friends button, same deal no matter what's tweaked or having the Xoom master reset.

If it's in the market, I expect it to work. If it doesn't work, I expect it to get fixed. Fast. For someone like me, I could care less about the hardware, I want the software and apps to work, flawlessly. I could pick up an iPad 2 tomorrow and entirely drop my cellphone. I could with some problems do the same with my Touchpad. Since I have the Xoom, no, I'll definitely need the Thunderbolt still since the choices and options are far too buggy/non-existant/not available for my Xoom or only halfbaked.

I've said this before as well, I do enjoy the Xoom, I love the Google Maps navigation, love the GMail integration, love the widgets but unless something major happens with Android Honeycomb or ICS, I'll most likely be jumping ship, again, to iOS.

neller2000

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I have to go with Maikai.Guy here. As a software professional I would think asking for a tablet only app would be like asking for an app that only works on Windows 7 on a dual-core processor. Yes, we all think we want it until win 8 comes out or the quad core is released, and and then we scream because it doesn't work anymore!

Take a page from the old Apple (back when they were still innovators). Apple developer guides said don't use a certain range of memory because it was reserved for 32 bit processing. The major developers ignored it because they could make their apps faster. Mac System 7 rolled out and all those apps crashed. Guess who got blamed; Apple, of course! Not the developers who ignored the guidelines in the first place. I believe that's where we are now with Android. The guidelines are for a common standard, but many developers have ignored the standard to optimize for a particular device or os version.

Be careful what you ask for! ICS is coming; do you want to have a series of apps that will no longer work when your tablet upgrades from honeycomb? Or do you want to be left behind from ICS? Honestly, I have found very few apps that don't work on my Xoom, and most of those don't work right anywhere unless you are on the "just right platform".

Oh, and "flawlessly on iPad"? Really? Not what I hear from some iPad owner friends! Not to mention, pull out the iPad, load your favorite browser, and head for a Flash site. What, no browser? No flash? Oh yeah, you're using an iPad!

So because Apple refuse to implement Flash in iOS, which is horribly laggy on all Android devices I've owned and currently own, they're not innovating? iOS device sales prove maybe people are looking for something else, like stability, minimal fragmentation if any and a plethora of cross device apps that just work.

Sure, I could pull out my iPad, load my favorite browser and happily know I won't suffer immense slowdowns like my Xoom and Thunderbolt when that dreaded Flash junk appears. You might love Flash. I personally can't wait for that garbage to be gone and everything switched to HTML5. Here's a typical day with an iPad. Grab it from my desk and head to work, first break I get I check my email, Pulse and maybe answer a few SMS messages. On my lunch I would watch YouTube videos and Hulu Plus videos. Hulu Plus isn't even available on my Xoom. I'd surf around a few tech blogs, gloriously free from Flash. Maybe even throw in a FaceTime chat with my family. I'd love to do that with my Xoom but apparently Google didn't agree that Google Chat or Google Voice should have anything like that. Last break I would mess around with some mini games, which I'm at least able to do as well on my Xoom. Where exactly do I need Flash in all that? I've never even thought about not having it, until I actually mess around on the Xoom with slowdowns.

So basically what you're saying is you don't mind plenty of halfbaked apps, lots of crashes and inferior versions of iOS apps? Why not demand quality control instead? These sites always glorify Android sales over iOS sales in raw numbers. Then why are the apps lightyears behind then? Why should I have to put up with a simplified UI from Apple just to get something that works well?

Is it really too much to ask that the apps at least function or ask that developers start developing more tablet apps already for Honeycomb? The selection is beyond pathetic this far into Honeycomb.

Last edited:

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a fanboy of any particular platform, I've enjoyed iOS, Android, WebOS equally. I currently have the Motorola Xoom, which doesn't have any true offering of tablet apps in the Market store. Only a featured section, which isn't apps designed for the tablet and only the tablet. I came from iOS this time and was entirely, fully and without question EXPECTING a tablet app section. Are you saying I'm asking too much?

I'm saying your expectations are fixated on having a dedicated tablet apps store, but Googles direction is to have all apps work on all devices, be it a tablet or phone... or something else eventually.

The apps I have on the Xoom don't function fully. Not even close. Skype, no video calling there. Google Chat, no video calling there. Google Voice, never mind, it's not even there for the Xoom. Heck, even my now discountinued Touchpad has Skype two way videocalling. Facebook, app crashes every time I hit the Friends button, same deal no matter what's tweaked or having the Xoom master reset.
The lack of Skype has more to do with corporate maneuvering than anything else. What you are looking for is "Google Talk". Works fine on the XOOM. Video chat until your heart is content. ;-)

Google Voice works, but only for texting at the moment.

Can't talk about Facebook. Don't use it on my XOOM. No time for that.

If it's in the market, I expect it to work. If it doesn't work, I expect it to get fixed. Fast. For someone like me, I could care less about the hardware, I want the software and apps to work, flawlessly. I could pick up an iPad 2 tomorrow and entirely drop my cellphone. I could with some problems do the same with my Touchpad. Since I have the Xoom, no, I'll definitely need the Thunderbolt still since the choices and options are far too buggy/non-existant/not available for my Xoom or only halfbaked.
Well... first, it's clear Honeycomb is being cleaned up and the issues you mention are being fixed. Second, if that's what you want and you think an iPad would be better for you, just get one. I can't deal with Apple, because I use my tablet as a notebook replacement. The iPad simply can do what I need. I want/need a familiar folder based OS, which will allow me to navigate my files. I need to attach documents. I need to read/write USB keys (I'm rooted). I need to do a few things the iPad simply doesn't offer.

I've said this before as well, I do enjoy the Xoom, I love the Google Maps navigation, love the GMail integration, love the widgets but unless something major happens with Android Honeycomb or ICS, I'll most likely be jumping ship, again, to iOS.
Seriously, dude. You should just go now. I doesn't sound like you need anything that Android offers and you crave the polished and tightly controlled environment Apple offers. Go get an iPad2 and test the Android waters next time around. By that time the Android tablet experience will be much more polished and you'll be a happy camper.