Where does Android store Google Play music files

Brian Clemens

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
I do not endorse using this method to pirate music!

In most situations the files are meant to be accessible only to their respective apps. To access them:
1 - adb shell into the device (or use a terminal emulator on the device)
2 - shell@android:/ $run-as com.google.android.music (You can use a different app name if you're pulling data from other apps)
3 - shell@android:/ $cd data/data/com.google.android.music/files/music (or whereever your cache is)
ls and you should see a bunch of numbered mp3 files. You can adb pull these files straight to your computer, cp them to your SD card, whatever.

Last edited:

MrZuLu

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I was listening to an album I paid google $10 for. Right in middle of second tune ALL of my 'bought and paid for' downloads just vanished! Even the endosed free music vanished!

0 songs downloaded...

Android LG Stylo 2- 5.1.1
WTF

Last edited:

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I was listening to an album I paid google $10 for. Right in middle of second tune ALL of my 'bought and paid for' downloads just vanished! Even the endosed free music vanished!

0 songs downloaded...

Android LG Stylo 2- 5.1.1
WTF

Were they stored in the internal storage or on an SD card?

MrZuLu

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Were they stored in the internal storage or on an SD card?
I don't know. I could never find them after downloading. They only work in Google Play music. After market players cant see google music downloads.

Never again. Screw google play.

The songs are just gone. The folders with Album Art are there but lists 0 -that's ZERO- songs.

I'm on VA disability. $20.00 is nearly a week's groceries!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You can always download the mp3 files on your desktop browser (from your Play Music library site), then transfer those mp3 files to your phone's storage. Those mp3 files can be played by 3rd party music apps.

Krrish285

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site
I bought an album using Google Play and can play it successfully. But I checked the Keep On Device option which I assume downloads it to the device? If this is true, where is it stored on my phone?

Hi Purchasing means in Play store you can play it any time. But it only play in Play music. The purchase history saved in their server. Even if you reset your phone you can use same gmail login to get same album without any cost. Because you already purchased it.

But about file I don't know where it save. Even if you find it you can't use it. Because it should be encrypted.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
You can always download the mp3 files on your desktop browser (from your Play Music library site), then transfer those mp3 files to your phone's storage. Those mp3 files can be played by 3rd party music apps.
Hi, do you mean download the songs to a PC? Can't I download the mp3s directly on to my phone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nope. It's an odd restriction that is probably meant to discourage people from going nuts downloading every single song they want and then distributing them to others.