Where Samsung Pay didn't work for you.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Citi cards with Samsung Pay since October, and I've never had a card declined. I use it a lot. Every so often I have a problem using it, but I've never had the message that it was declined. I would say it "almost always" works.

Sometimes I'll hit a store where it works sometimes, or on some registers, but not other times. For instance, at Home Depot, it tried to use it at two different registers about a week ago. Both failed. Two days ago, I went back, tried a third register, and it went through. Sounds like an issue with Home Depot's registers, not Samsung Pay.

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I am concluding that Samsung Pay is useless. I get card declined at many places. QFC, Target, Lowes, and others. It is clear that the card is being read and being rejected. Swiping the real card works of course. It works at many places, and it saved me when I left my wallet at home and went skiing. So, I am happy to have a backup to the real card, but I was hoping it would almost always work.

If I have to bring the real card as a backup, then what is the point? It is not difficult to pull a card out of my wallet. It is certainly slower to try it with the phone and then have to go to the card. Oh sure it is cool to have the cashier say "it won't work", then when it does they are amazed. However, that novelty wears off real quick when they tell you it won't work, and they turn out to be right when the card is declined.

The whole point of this exercise is to ditch my wallet. If there is no way to solve the declined problem, then Samsung Pay is a waste of time.

Does anyone know why the card is being declined? It could be the merchant's settings on what cards are accepted. Maybe it is Citi (my card) being unhappy with my usage pattern because it is a new number?

Are you getting declined as credit as well? If so call your bank I have used it at target, bestbuy,grocery store, gas stations, bars, bw3,mom's and pops grocery store. If u are getting declined try installing it or clearing cache and contact your bank.The only place I have had problems with is Wal-Mart

Posted via the Android Central App

James8561

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Used it at bath and body Works today and it froze the terminal a long time "processing" until it errors out and I had to use plastic card. Was embarrassing because the cashier thought it was cool at first but I can tell they weren't impressed with the annoying wait. I got laughed at by my friend as well

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I had a problem at Walmart today. I tried using SP but it wouldn't register, and used my physical card instead. Of course, it worked. Then i got a notification that SP took the transaction....how is that possible if it didn't work with the App?

Jaysin13

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I am concluding that Samsung Pay is useless. I get card declined at many places. QFC, Target, Lowes, and others. It is clear that the card is being read and being rejected. Swiping the real card works of course. It works at many places, and it saved me when I left my wallet at home and went skiing. So, I am happy to have a backup to the real card, but I was hoping it would almost always work.

If I have to bring the real card as a backup, then what is the point? It is not difficult to pull a card out of my wallet. It is certainly slower to try it with the phone and then have to go to the card. Oh sure it is cool to have the cashier say "it won't work", then when it does they are amazed. However, that novelty wears off real quick when they tell you it won't work, and they turn out to be right when the card is declined.

The whole point of this exercise is to ditch my wallet. If there is no way to solve the declined problem, then Samsung Pay is a waste of time.

Does anyone know why the card is being declined? It could be the merchant's settings on what cards are accepted. Maybe it is Citi (my card) being unhappy with my usage pattern because it is a new number?

HA! That is how I feel. I would love it to work everytime. I have just lost all confidence in it. I'm still trying. I love when it works. My problem is debit. Credit seems to work all the time for me.

johntaves

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Are you getting declined as credit as well? If so call your bank I have used it at target, bestbuy,grocery store, gas stations, bars, bw3,mom's and pops grocery store. If u are getting declined try installing it or clearing cache and contact your bank.The only place I have had problems with is Wal-Mart

When I can choose debit/credit I choose credit. It is rare that I get that choice.

I chatted with Citi and got:

"Rebecca: at 9:49:16
I have reached out to a Technical Support Manager and was told that this being declined because the merchant does not have it set up properly."

Given the frequency that I get declined, maybe 20% of the time, I am concluding that Samsung's "works almost anywhere" is complete BS. They are referring to the fact that the reader will read the card, but not referring to whether you can actually pay with it.

I am pissed. I got rid of my G920F that would not do Samsung Pay for a G920A that has a bunch of adware/bloatware crap on it from ATT to get the Pay, only to discover that their marketing is very misleading.

romeobob2

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I had the same Samsung Pay experience at Walmart as Scott (100% success rate) until about a month ago when the Walmart stores in my area switched over to chip-reader card terminals. For the past month, I've been experiencing 100% failure at Walmart. The card I'm using in Samsung Pay is my BofA debit card (chipped).

I've started to do some of my Walmart shopping at Target since their card terminals still work 100% of the time for me. Too bad for you, Walmart.

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I had the same Samsung Pay experience at Walmart as Scott (100% success rate) until about a month ago when the Walmart stores in my area switched over to chip-reader card terminals. For the past month, I've been experiencing 100% failure at Walmart. The card I'm using in Samsung Pay is my BofA debit card (chipped).

I've started to do some of my Walmart shopping at Target since their card terminals still work 100% of the time for me. Too bad for you, Walmart.
I hope that is not the case at my Walmart. It worked yesterday but I don't know if they updated the terminals or not since I never use my plastic debit card. My wife just said that she doesn't use the chip reader at our Walmart with her debit card.

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Well from experience and from others here we have had let's say 99.9% success using Samsung Pay. It is weird that u cannons get it to work. Did you call samsung pay support to see what they recommend? I use it everyday, every where no problem at a variety of places. I know it's frustrating that you cannot get it to work. I think you said the bank stated the store wasn't setup to accept payments. Hmm so out of millions of stores the ones you frequent are the only ones not setup. I think Citi bank didn't know what to do.i used it at a mom and pops small store and they said they don't have it setup for payments like this. Well it worked. Remind me u said u get it to work as credit right but not debit?

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site

If both credit and debit are getting declined here could be some problems. If u have been unable to use it since day 1 then, when you signed up you were suppose to do a authorization or something to your bank or to email I can't remember exactly what it was. Now if that didn't happen correctly then you may not be fully setup. Also call bank, call the support get them to dig into your history (they should see all the declines)and see why your are being declined also have them your bank make sure your mobile wallet is setup correctly they should be able to see if it is or not, it does sound like you mobile wallet may not be setup correctly or that they didn't get the notification. I actually do recall get a text message when I setup my samsung pay.

Let me know results.

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Everyone here goes, if you are successful in using Samsung Pay like Scott, Nathan 20lbks,rtc myself and others please add to this if I left out any suggestions to help the ones that are having problems like declines this will be long but here are suggestions to try.

If you are unable to get SamsungPay to work try some of these actions.

Delete readd card (delete framework you may have to delete samsung pay and reinstall it), make sure u get notification upon setup because this ties your digital wallet is tied to account, make sure all numbers are correct for the card call bank have them check history ensure mobile/dogital wallet is setup correctly. Clean cache in framework for SamsungPay, call samsung pay support, try and follow this checklist b4 calling samsung pay support. Hopefully this will get it to work.

If there is something I missed or suggestions add to it.

If you feel embarrassed about getting declined in front of people try it at a convenient store that u may frequent alot and u know the cashier this way u can try it more than one time to find sweet spot you might be taking it away to soon(which is rare) but never hard to try. After following the checklist.

romeobob2

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I think I had a breakthrough today RE: Walmart's chip-reader terminals (and maybe others as well). I went to the SamsungPayUS twitter feed to see if anyone else had reported an issue about chip-reader terminals and I found this:
SamsungPayTweet.PNG

I had no clue about the need to sign my cards that are in Samsung Pay!! Anyway, after reading the tweet and then signing my cards in Samsung Pay, I went out to a local Walmart at lunch time to see if their terminals would work for me now and BAM! - I had sweet, sweet success. Walmart is back on the "good" list for me :)

I don't know when this requirement to sign your cards came down, but I'm a little ticked at Samsung for not sending out a notification about this. If not having a signed card is preventing people from completing transactions, it's kind of a big deal. Did anyone else know about this??

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Wow never knew about signing the card period.i just signed mine going to check out walmart soon

srz1977

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Very strange that people are having issues with Walmart. I've probably done 100 transactions at Walmart with Samsung Pay and have never had a problem. I also live in AR, the home state of Walmart and we have the latest chip card readers in all our stores.

Last edited:

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Very strange that people are having issues with Walmart. I've probably done 100 transactions at Walmart with Samsung Pay and have never hard a problem. I also live in AR, the home state of Walmart and we have the latest chip card readers in all our stores.

Yes that is the million dollar question. Walmart worked at one time for me then it stopped working. Walmart and Carls jr. Are the only places where I can't use samsung pay. Now that I signed my card I will try it. Carls jr did not even recognize it at all. Other than that I'm 100000 percent never use my CC or bank cards unless at ATM or gas

Nathan Innocent

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Everyone here goes, if you are successful in using Samsung Pay like Scott, Nathan 20lbks,rtc myself and others please add to this if I left out any suggestions to help the ones that are having problems like declines this will be long but here are suggestions to try.

If you are unable to get SamsungPay to work try some of these actions.

Delete readd card (delete framework you may have to delete samsung pay and reinstall it), make sure u get notification upon setup because this ties your digital wallet is tied to account, make sure all numbers are correct for the card call bank have them check history ensure mobile/dogital wallet is setup correctly. Clean cache in framework for SamsungPay, call samsung pay support, try and follow this checklist b4 calling samsung pay support. Hopefully this will get it to work.

If there is something I missed or suggestions add to it.

If you feel embarrassed about getting declined in front of people try it at a convenient store that u may frequent alot and u know the cashier this way u can try it more than one time to find sweet spot you might be taking it away to soon(which is rare) but never hard to try. After following the checklist.

You got it all bro.