Which case? Keyboard or no keyboard?

Spinnaker15136

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I am looking at getting a new case for the Nexus 7. I am considering one with a bluetooth keyboard but I am not sure I want to put up with the extra bulk.

Any thoughts on what to do? Any recommendations on a good case with keyboard or without?

One thought I had was to get a roll up keyboard for times I might want to use it or maybe there is one thin enough and small enough to slip into the case?

Spinnaker15136

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I should add that I will be using the Nexus for bicycle touring. While I will protect it from rain in my waterproof handlebar bag, it needs to stand up to bumps and bruises.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2

My notification bar >>>>>> yours

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357266431692.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357266431692.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 46
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357266441037.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357266441037.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 46

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I actually like it without a case at home, like the thinness and way it feels in your hand without a case. However I do have a case that I use when I take it outside the house.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2496943

Love the feel of the fake leather, feels real, and how it can stand the tablet on landscape to watch movies or shows. I dont have a keyboard, but if I would buy one I would like the full size rolling one to fit in my bag.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
On the Keyboard issue....
Personally I use Swiftkey on my Nexus 7 and for the 90% of the time I am typing it works. It splits the keyboard in two so my hands can hold the tablet and type fast at the same time. I will note there are times such as work where I prop it under my desktop monitor and don't want to have to keep grabbing for it, so I use a bluetooth keyboard I got from Microcenter for $24. Most of the time though it is in my hand. If you don't mind some money, I'd look into some of those foldable bluetooth keyboards. Folded about the size of a cell phone but unfolded a good keyboard for even someone with big hands. Didn't go that route and it bites me in the butt sometimes.

On the case issue...
Getting a case isn't just about the nice feel of leather but what you are going to use the device for and how the case will function and hold up to the use you are going to put it through. I'd suggest in your case getting a neoprene sleeve with some padding to it. While I was waiting for my first case to come I had my Nexus 7 in my 10inch neoprene and made homemade padding into the sleeve since there was an extra few inches. Not functional for most people but since you're taking this biking more protection the better and you won't be pulling it out every few minutes like me where I'm walking and carry it in a pocket take it out, then put it back and so forth a lot. The case I'd suggest as long as WHILE you are riding, the choices are endless as of late. If you'll be using it for watching videos, just make sure you have a sturdy stand. I got one of those soft covers with hard back cases and it was a pain after a while because the soft cover doesn't roll up so well.

Bought cases for other tablets that were exactly like this, my mom love this compared to the one above that was suggested, it gives it a bit of give and when closed protects it as it fell from the fireplace to the floor a few times.
PU Leather 360degree Rotary Case Adjustable Angle Stand Cover for Google Nexus 7 | eBay

admiralcrom

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
There is a Bluetooth KB on eBay that is also a cover for around 35 for it. When closed would look like the back side of the nexus. I didn't get it cause I'm rarely away from home. I did get a folio cover that is like a hardback book. It has magnetic claps to keep closed.

But typing onscreen is easy with portrait mode. plus Google voice typing is almost like dragon PC software. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
There is a Bluetooth KB on eBay that is also a cover for around 35 for it. When closed would look like the back side of the nexus. I didn't get it cause I'm rarely away from home. I did get a folio cover that is like a hardback book. It has magnetic claps to keep closed.

But typing onscreen is easy with portrait mode. plus Google voice typing is almost like dragon PC software. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I bought one of them and liked it so well, I bought another for my other N7. I carry it in a pouch made to fit the N7 or other 7" tablets. The cost for the last one was $21.95 delivered.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I bought one of them and liked it so well, I bought another for my other N7. I carry it in a pouch made to fit the N7 or other 7" tablets. The cost for the last one was $21.95 delivered.

How is typing on the small keyboard? I had a keyboard case for my other tablet and it is very cheap feeling and it was hard to type on. The keys were recessed too much, so it felt really really weird because it felt like the keys were lower than the surrounding parts.

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I personally have it in a case that isn't a keyboard. It is just a giant pocket that covers the entire thing and I take it out when I use it. It also has a front pouch to store my USB cable, stylus, and OTG cable. I think the lack of any storage is why I have kind of stayed away from the keyboard cases.

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
How is typing on the small keyboard? I had a keyboard case for my other tablet and it is very cheap feeling and it was hard to type on. The keys were recessed too much, so it felt really really weird because it felt like the keys were lower than the surrounding parts.

I have 10 thumbs and even I have no problem typing on it. It's a lot better than using the on screen keyboard. It makes a very nice and compact unit when snapped together, hardly any larger than the N7 itself. The pouch I carry it in has a zippered pocket in the front where I keep a stylus and sometimes a power bank just in case.

Spinnaker15136

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice everyone. I like the idea of the neoprene case for traveling. Seems like the best protection when not in use. But I see two issues with it. First what to do with the case when the tablet is in use? Yes I could stuff it somewhere but one more thing to worry about. The there is the fact it provides no protection when the tablet is in use. I would think a regular folded case would offer some protection?

Same issues with those clam shell cases. They look great but have similar issues with storage when you don't want to be bothered with the keyboard. Plus it looks like they might offer the least protection of all the case types.

Maybe a combination of the neoprene case and the regular fold case?

I'm thinking of using the roll up type keyboard for my keyboard since the only time I will be really using it is posting to websites and blogs and such. I would think a keyboard would just get in the way during the day.