Which current tablet is best for drawing?

Trever-T

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello! I've searched the forum but the only threads on this subject are a year old, so I'm hoping there will be new answers for current generation devices. I would like to get a tablet to do some basic sketching on - I draw a simple web comic and it would be nice to be able to do some of the art while lying on the couch instead of sitting in front of my computer.

We recently got my wife a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and it's a neat little device. However, I was hoping to do some sketching on it with a stylus (an Adonit Jot Pro) and it's turned out to be totally useless for this - The screen sensitivity is terrible, even compared to my 3 year old iPod Touch. Trying to draw a curve results in a terribly stairstepped line, as if you have to move the touch 1/8" or more just to register a direction change. I tried some of the new iPads at an Apple store and they were tremendously better in terms of sensitivity. My question is, is there a tablet on the Android market with similar screen sensitivity?

(And to those folks who will say to get a full Windows tablet, I really can't afford that - I'm hoping for something usable in the 10" tablet price range). Suggestions?

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
The best tablet that I know of is the Samsung Note 10.1, which is not out yet. It uses a Wacom digitizer. Pressure sensitivity not as high as say an Intuos, but should be on par w/ other Windows tablets (200-something levels).

If you want to get a feel for its precision and sensitivity, maybe go to an ATT store and play w/ a Galaxy Note? I thought it was okay, but the demo model at the store was really slow, so I couldn't really make a judgement.

I'm waiting for this 10.1 or the upcoming Win8 tablets myself.

Reactions: Trever-T

Trever-T

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I hadn't heard of this before (I don't follow tech news that closely) but it looks like a good device, and maybe perfect for my needs. I like the Windows tablets too but with an Android tablet already and an all-Apple set of home computers, I'd rather not have to adopt yet another OS if I can help it. Plus, I really like Android and am hoping I can find an Android device that will fit my sketching needs. I've stuck a reminder in my calendar to check back on Amazon in a month to see if the Note 10.1 is out yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mekerz86