Which custom rom should I use for my Verizon LG G3?

russnash

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Verizon LG G3 - Custom ROM Options

So, after being a loyal BlackBerry user and developer since 2008 I finally decided to make the switch to Android a couple of weeks back. Glad I did it, although I do miss some features of BB.

After plenty of post reading and googling I've decided that I would really like to go the custom ROM route on my G3. I'm on 12B at the moment so am downloading the 10B firmware for Verizon and am planning on following How to Unroot/Unbrick LG G3! | LGG3Root.com to return me to the stock firmware so that I can root the device and begin the process. I'm not really worried about issues with the process as I have decades of IT experience and am very familiar with Unix based systems, including Linux, which should help.

The only question I need to answer is which ROM I am going to go for, I've seen lots of different ROM's suggested but am having a hard time differentiating between them in terms of features and pros and cons. What I'm looking for is something based on Lollipop that will give me a reliable and flexible experience, even something as close to stock as possible would work that I could customize. I'm also concerned about loading a ROM and finding capabilities missing, like not supporting 4G LTE or google api's / play store / services for example.

I would be grateful for any advice or pointers anyone could offer.

Thanks in advance!

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Verizon LG G3 - Custom ROM Options

That's whats great about android customization and options. Go to Youtube and do a search of roms for the VS985. You can see reviews of which roms and features would be most beneficial to you.

russnash

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site

Thank you for the response. After some pondering I went for the Resurrection Remix ROM. So far I'm quite liking it, it's smooth and fast and with no bloat, was easy to setup too!

Posted via the Android Central App

russnash

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site

Illusion is probably the most popular ROM out there based on 5.0 for the Verizon variant. I hear good things about ParanoidAndroid and Bliss Pop as well.

Best repository for these:

Verizon G3 Android Development - XDA Forums

Thank you for the response, I've actually been running the Resurrection Remix ROM since yesterday afternoon and other than not being able to install Tasker (awesome app!) haven't had any real issues so far.

You seem to be knowledgeable on the ROM scene, judging by your posts, so was wondering if you could enlighten me on another related topic. From what I've seen at the XDA forums some people seem to be running more than one ROM on their device or easily trying out new ROM's. Is there a way of doing this non destructively to my data or are these people just starting from scratch each time by flashing a new ROM from TWRP?

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

You seem to be knowledgeable on the ROM scene, judging by your posts, so was wondering if you could enlighten me on another related topic. From what I've seen at the XDA forums some people seem to be running more than one ROM on their device or easily trying out new ROM's. Is there a way of doing this non destructively to my data or are these people just starting from scratch each time by flashing a new ROM from TWRP?

Thank you.

Most people run one ROM from TWRP, but not exactly starting from scratch every time they don't like something. It's very easy to do a complete backup in TWRP before wiping and flashing something new to try out. If you don't like it you can just restore the backup.

Multi ROM is a great mod but unfortunately does not yet support the Verizon variant. I believe only Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T and international model support this. It is currently being worked on to be ported.

russnash

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site

Thank you.

Most people run one ROM from TWRP, but not exactly starting from scratch every time they don't like something. It's very easy to do a complete backup in TWRP before wiping and flashing something new to try out. If you don't like it you can just restore the backup.

Multi ROM is a great mod but unfortunately does not yet support the Verizon variant. I believe only Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T and international model support this. It is currently being worked on to be ported.

From what you've covered here it sounds like using TWRP to simply do a backup anyway might be a pretty good idea. Does it simply backup the OS or does it include customized settings or other data?

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

From what you've covered here it sounds like using TWRP to simply do a backup anyway might be a pretty good idea. Does it simply backup the OS or does it include customized settings or other data?

You can chose to select what you want to back up. You can do as little as the Boot partition, so you can restore to a working kernel if you flash a bad one or don't like it in some way. You can also back up everything to restore your phone to exactly where you were before, settings and all. It is a complete image.

Please see this helpful resource so you can educate yourself a little on how this process works and what selections are important or not:

The Ultimate Guide to Using TWRP: The Only Custom Recovery You'll Ever Need « Android Gadget Hacks

russnash

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site

You can chose to select what you want to back up. You can do as little as the Boot partition, so you can restore to a working kernel if you flash a bad one or don't like it in some way. You can also back up everything to restore your phone to exactly where you were before, settings and all. It is a complete image.

Please see this helpful resource so you can educate yourself a little on how this process works and what selections are important or not:

The Ultimate Guide to Using TWRP: The Only Custom Recovery You'll Ever Need « Android Gadget Hacks

Awesome! Thank you! I'll check that out.

Jake_15

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

How exactly does multi ROM work? And how would i go about installing it?

Posted via my AT&T LG G3 Running Resurrection Remix ROM

briannamarie91

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site

That's whats great about android customization and options. Go to Youtube and do a search of roms for the VS985. You can see reviews of which roms and features would be most beneficial to you.

Are the Verizon LG g3 able to root again? Last time I tried I was unable bc the Verizon update to 11c blocked root..

russnash

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site

Are the Verizon LG g3 able to root again? Last time I tried I was unable bc the Verizon update to 11c blocked root..

The later versions do block root, I had to flash back to the 10B firmware so that I could root the device and use a custom ROM. There is a link in my opening post of this thread with instructions if you're interested.

thecaringkind

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

Hi Guys!

i'm currently rocking a rooted and flashed version of the Illusion ROM for my Verizon VS985 12B. Its basically running Android 5.0.2 and its buttery smooth. No major issues thus far and battery life seems very much improved. I do have one concern, does anyone know if there have been any issues with bluetooth connections? I have a new speaker and for all I know it could just be me.

Also, Verizon is the WORST carrier EVER for the way that they handle the hardware their customers use. They are notoriously slow with updates, and they lock down everything as best they can on the software side. That being said, I did everything I could as quickly as possible to hack my LG G3 and I couldn't be happier. CHEERS

russnash

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site

Hi Guys!

i'm currently rocking a rooted and flashed version of the Illusion ROM for my Verizon VS985 12B. Its basically running Android 5.0.2 and its buttery smooth. No major issues thus far and battery life seems very much improved. I do have one concern, does anyone know if there have been any issues with bluetooth connections? I have a new speaker and for all I know it could just be me.

Also, Verizon is the WORST carrier EVER for the way that they handle the hardware their customers use. They are notoriously slow with! updates, and they lock down everything as best they can on the software side. That being said, I did everything I could as quickly as possible to hack my LG G3 and I couldn't be happier. CHEERS

Hey!

I've been running resurrection remix for a couple of days now and have had the same buttery smooth experience. I couldn't go back to the stock firmware now after this experience.

As for Bluetooth, I've linked to a couple or devices such as my aftershokz headphones, a laptop and other smartphones and not experienced any issues.

Jake_15

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

I stopped using resurrection remix today, there was a bug where every time i received a call, i got "unfortunately, phone has stopped". I could only send calls, nor receive, so i flashed Illusion today and is working great so far!

Jake_15

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

Sorry I fixed the link in my earlier reply.

I'll try out the multi ROM mod soon. Is there any good guides on youtube you could suggest for me? I'm more of a visual person so it helps to have a video walk through.

russnash

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site

I stopped using resurrection remix today, there was a bug where every time i received a call, i got "unfortunately, phone has stopped". I could only send calls, nor receive, so i flashed Illusion today and is working great so far!

Ouch! Hopefully I don't come across that one!

How are you finding illusion? What are you seeing as the major differences between it an RR?