Which Google apps should show notifications and sync over cellular data?

jraymond#AC

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
When my phone is in airplane mode, my watch get calls gets calls and can use Messenger to send and receive . However, I have the cloud with a line thru it icon on the watchface. The apps that won't let me connect are: Reminders, Agenda, Keep, Hangouts and I also get no gmail notifications. Settings - Cellular - Network State is "connected".

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Almost none of the apps will work if it can't connect to phone. Calls and text on the watch are the exception. Some simple apps like clock, alarm etc should work.

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Almost none of the apps will work if it can't connect to phone. Calls and text on the watch are the exception. Some simple apps like clock, alarm etc should work.

Actually, that's incorrect. If you have a watch that works properly, you should still have search features such as "OK Google" when cellular mode. I have done a lot of testing of this over three week I've had the watch. I actually returned my first watch and exchanged it for a new one because it wasn't connecting right for these features over cellular. The phone calls worked but that was about it.

The new watch I have works pretty well on standalone cellular for "OK Google" searches as well as text dictation and phone calls. I've found two things to be important. First is signal strength. If you're not showing LTE or pretty solid reception, this may not work. Also, you want to speak clearly into the watch with it only a outlet of inches from your face.

I recommend you return and exchange your watch if you only get the disconnected cloud with a slash through it when in standalone. Your watch is not functioning correctly.

Posted via the Android Central App

mdw1995

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
The OP stated he was in airplane mode. The watch shouldn't be able to pair to the phone through BT, Wi-Fi or Cellular. Without being paired, Ok Google won't work. Correct?

He could still receive messages and calls through the watch SIM.

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
No, from my testing, the only thing that won't work with your phone in airplane mode or off is the navigation. Everything else should work in standalone mode with the watches cellular connection. If you don't believe me, read the description of features of the watch, it is clear that searches should and ate compatible while untethered. You may have a defective device. My first one was.

mdw1995

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Hmm I see. Mine has always been that way but it's not a big deal for me. I have a wear browser on the watch and when untethered completely (which really never happens, 99% of time connected with BT or cellular) I can still browse the web etc. through cell data just can't use Ok Google. Good to know though.

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
No, from my testing, the only thing that won't work with your phone in airplane mode or off is the navigation. Everything else should work in standalone mode with the watches cellular connection. If you don't believe me, read the description of features of the watch, it is clear that searches should and ate compatible while untethered. You may have a defective device. My first one was.

OK, I stand corrected. I just tried this and OK google does not work when my phone is off or in airplane mode. It DOES however connect to the server if your phone is on and the watch is untethered. I'm not sure how but it must somehow connect to your phone remotely.

So, as long as your phone is left on and you leave it home, your watch should still connect to the Google servers for searches, etc.

Make sense?

mdw1995

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
OK, I stand corrected. I just tried this and OK google does not work when my phone is off or in airplane mode. It DOES however connect to the server if your phone is on and the watch is untethered. I'm not sure how but it must somehow connect to your phone remotely.

So, as long as your phone is left on and you leave it home, your watch should still connect to the Google servers for searches, etc.

Make sense?

Ah yes this has been my experience. The watch still connects to the phone through cell data and Ok Google works.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Actually, that's incorrect. If you have a watch that works properly, you should still have search features such as "OK Google" when cellular mode. I have done a lot of testing of this over three week I've had the watch. I actually returned my first watch and exchanged it for a new one because it wasn't connecting right for these features over cellular. The phone calls worked but that was about it.

The new watch I have works pretty well on standalone cellular for "OK Google" searches as well as text dictation and phone calls. I've found two things to be important. First is signal strength. If you're not showing LTE or pretty solid reception, this may not work. Also, you want to speak clearly into the watch with it only a outlet of inches from your face.

I recommend you return and exchange your watch if you only get the disconnected cloud with a slash through it when in standalone. Your watch is not functioning correctly.

Not if your phone is turned off or in airplane mode as OP stated.

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I wonder why this is? If the watch can connect to the Internet on its own SIM, why would it need your phone on to reach Google?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Because all the watch apps are nothing but a front end proxy to your phone app. This way, you don't have to write complicated app that pose both storage and power usage challenge to the tiny watch hardware. This is true for Samsung watch, Apple Watch and AW watches.

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Because all the watch apps are nothing but a front end proxy to your phone app. This way, you don't have to write complicated app that pose both storage and power usage challenge to the tiny watch hardware. This is true for Samsung watch, Apple Watch and AW watches.

That's interesting and makes sense. If that's the case, then how can the phone recognize what you dictate on cellular mode? It seems if it can do that on the watch so quickly, it has some program on the watch that works directly with the Google servers. Rather than your phone. Know what I mean?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
All speech recognitions are typically done at Google cloud servers. But in this case, it is still possible the watch sends the voice data over to the phone, then to the Google cloud. The old complaint from a review of the Nov edition is exactly that, it takes much longer time to get Google Now results when on cellular data connection than on BT connection. I think it is still the case.

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
All speech recognitions are typically done at Google cloud servers. But in this case, it is still possible the watch sends the voice data over to the phone, then to the Google cloud. The old complaint from a review of the Nov edition is exactly that, it takes much longer time to get Google Now results when on cellular data connection than on BT connection. I think it is still the case.

That's could be, but I find it to be pretty fast, only slightly longer than when directly tethered to the phone. Seems like they could answer should go direct with Google servers. Less chance for errors. But you are right about the small watch batteries and storage. I'd love to know what is actually happening here. If anyone finds out please share.

jraymond#AC

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for your discussion of my question. This really does make sense now with regard to how apps sync and notify. Hopefully this will save others from wasting time figuring this out on the phone with tech support or determining if they have a defective watch.

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Thank you all for your discussion of my question. This really does make sense now with regard to how apps sync and notify. Hopefully this will save others from wasting time figuring this out on the phone with tech support or determining if they have a defective watch.

No problem. Keep in mind that my first watch WAS defective and I had to exchange it. It was not switching get between cellular and Bluetooth correctly. It would show as disconnected even though my phone was on and had a signal, yet I was away from it with the watch.

drjim

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been researching the LGU2 a ton the last few days and you added a new wrinkle to my understanding.

I would only buy the watch if it works standalone, meaning I don't need to take my phone with me for the watch to work robustly.

If I understand you correctly, the watch doesn't need to be paired with my phone through BT (meaning nearby), but rather as long as the phone is on somewhere (could be 25 miles away), the watch and phone communicate, thus increasing functionality of the watch. Am I correct in understanding you?

If so, then, in my view, the watch is, for all intents and purposes, standalone (because the phone isn't in my pocket or even near me).

As a result, in the situation you describe, can it do the following:

1. Receive and send email through my Exchange?
2. Send and receive text messages through Google Voice?
3. Do navigation through Google Maps (though, I presume, not Waze?)?
4. Use Endomondo or other popular running/biking tracking apps?
5. Is there a calendar app on the watch that I can sync with my Exchange calendar? If so, which?
6. If not, can I access my calendar and get event notifications through this long-distance pairing?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You can't navigate with GMap in remote connected mode. And many activity apps are designed to support BT connection only. But Google Fit will work just fine. All other features work just like connected to BT.

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I agree with fxbat, other than I have had some success in having google maps navigation in standalone cellular, so long as my phone was on and connected back home. It is slow however and isn't the best for driving directions. A bit better for walking/running.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have not re-tested on the new watch. With my Nov edition, if you try to start a navigation on the watch while it is remotely connected, it refused to do so. You can see your location and search places. Just won't let you start a navigation. Maybe the new Map app changed that?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan