Why am i having issues with certain apps on Nokia 7 Plus running Android Pie?

Joe Howard1

Aug 6, 2019
Visit site
I have been having a problem with my Nokia 7 Plus and certain apps for a few months now. The problem seems to happen right after security updates. For instance, I use a live wallpaper app by Maxellus which immediately crashes when the issue starts and will not work at all. The issue stops all their apps from working.

Messaging apps stop working or stall for minutes at a time (Viber and Skype). Even installing Skype from new can take forever.

Anti-Virus apps will only go so far and then stall or crash completely. However, Malwarebytes runs without any issue and has found no malware or problems.

I have a feeling it is related to Google Play Services, as the Settings app also stalls and crashes every now and then. Oddly enough, the phone itself runs smoothly apart from this. It is running Android Pie and has plenty of processing power behind it. It is extremely frustrating as you could be writing a message in Viber only to find that the app is frozen completely. Restarts do not seem to help.

Usually I just end up ignoring the problem apps and on a few occasions I have gone back to them after a few weeks/months and the issue is gone, live wallpaper works flawlessly and there are no issues. I have installed the odd APK now and then, but nothing malicious as far as I can tell. It is very odd behaviour, and the latest set of issues happened right after the July Google security update.

So to recap:

Live wallpapers suddenly stop working

Viber and Skype will freeze / Crash - won't re-install first time

Google Services and settings seem to be the root cause but I'm not 100%

I have done a full reset on the phone and that did not solve the problem.

Just wondering if anyone has seen similar odd and annoying behaviour?

Regards

Joe

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't have that phone, but consider temporarily uninstalling Malwarebytes and any other antivirus or 3rd party security apps you might have installed. Those are one of the more likely culprits in this kind of situation.

I'd normally suggest wiping the cache partition, but I think all Nokia phones have seamless updates, which means no system cache partition to wipe.