Why am I not receiving notifications?

ajw_5

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S6 64 GB from T-Mobile, running 5.1.1 with TouchWiz. For whatever reason, I'm not getting notifications from apps like Bleacher Report, Clash of Clans, Snapchat, ESPN, etc. I've checked my notification settings and none of them are blocked. I literally have not gotten a notification from any of these apps in several weeks. Please help

Ian Morgan2

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Do you mean you've got each "Show notifications" box ticked in the individual Apps in Settings ? And then in Sound & notification/ App notifications......perhaps set to Priority ? Have you checked " When calls and notifications arrive" in Interruptions ?
I'm using Moto E 2nd Gen on 5.0.2.....so not sure how settings compare...but hope they may be of some use.

ajw_5

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Every "Show Notifications" box is checked, nothing is blocked in the notification settings, and I even have them set as a priority. It's probably a software bug with TouchWiz or 5.1.1 but this is just getting pathetic that there's no fix for it

Tim Caldwell

May 13, 2015
Visit site
OK peeps --- I reported this issue 2 months ago under 5.0 .... per a lot of recommendations, I checked every darn setting and could NOT get Notifications PUSHED for my stock EMAIL or GMAIL app. I cleared Cache, uninstalled apps, tried other email app (K9) , ensure NOTIFICATIONS are turned on for every App, tried SAFE Mode -- nothing worked. So I was really hoping 5.1.1 would solve this issue for me. It did NOT. So I did the painful Factory Reset, didn't immediately reinstall ANY of my apps and tested it ... No Push Notifications for EMAIL/GMAIL at all ! what a total waste of time & pain in the *ss that was ... a full day of effort reconfiguring everything.

to be clear as to the problem: When my S6 goes into Sleep mode (times out), I go to my laptop and send myself an email ... and wait .. and wait .. an hour later I wake up my phone - no notification / no email at all ... but then suddenly, "Finding Location" pops up and DING ... email arrives. I even tried turning off WiFi, suspecting that had something to do with this.. No difference. I also turned off SMART NETWORK SWITCH. nada.

Do a GOOGLE search on "not getting PUSH notifications Galaxy S6" and you'll find that this is a wide-spread issue. (I'm happy for those of you that is DOES work!) This really REALLY sucks. I never had this issue on my previous MOTO RAZR. Samsung or Google needs to admit there is an issue and step up and fix this! And for the record, I am very computer & smartphone literate. If there is a setting hidden that affects this, I can't find it - I have been thru every setting and nothing affects this.

Nica0129

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I have experienced the same problem before but an Android app solved it! Try Hooks Alerts for Everything, it allows me to receive notifications right away. Hope this helps you too.

Tim Caldwell

May 13, 2015
Visit site
That APP has nothing to do with EMAIL notifications ... it provides push notifications for a bunch of other things. The issue (again) is that EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS are not getting Pushed ... The phone only checks for email if it is AWAKE (not in sleep mode). which is stupid. It should scan for email updates while it is asleep. I get notifications for Facebook, Twitter, and other apps while it is in Sleep mode; just not EMAIL.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad to see i'm not the only one with this problem. It just started within the past 2 weeks. Email notifications SEEM to be the only thing i'm having issues with.

Allen Gregg

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I posted this in another thread but just so you will know it's not just you (or your phone), the exact same thing happened on my new Note 5. Same thing, too.. when in standby/sleep nothing - once it finds itself and wakes up, they flood in. Without repeating everything I said in the other thread I'll just say this - over the last two days I've probably spent 4-5 hours (literally) on the phone with very capable Verizon tech reps who have literally picked apart EVER conceivable setting on this phone. Gmail, Android, etc. When nothing else failed removed and replaced email, and even tried other email services. Final chance.... a complete factory reset of the phone. NOTHING has fixed this issue.

At work and at home I rely on security system pushes to let me know when someone is lurking around (I don't live in Mayberry...this does happen). I get those notifications from the security systems flawlessly and almost instantly on my iPhone. None at all on the Note 5 unless I manually check for them. Again - all was tried. Taking it back to the store tomorrow and will just stick to my old phone.

Tim Caldwell

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried disabling WiFi as a TEST and put the phone in Sleep mode, sending it an email & seeing if you THEN get the notification? Since I stumbled across this "fix" a couple of days ago, I am now receiving my email PUSH notifications. As I mentioned previously, I installed the app LEANDROID & have it set to turn off WiFi when in Sleep mode. IT will automatically turn on WiFi when I wake it up ... so far it seems to be working.

(Yes, I know someone else is emphatic that this is a IPV6 bug & a "fix" is coming .. But I can only tell you from my experience what is happening. So please don't shoot the messenger.. :)

Allen Gregg

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Tim, yes, in one of my calls to one of the Verizon techs, they had me disable WiFi and try it under LTE with the phone in standby/sleep mode. It actually didn't work for me. They had wondered if maybe it was just an issue with my own router, but it was happening at work on that router too, and I had actually already tried it under LTE only at work as well - same result - no pushes. I saw in an earlier post where it worked for you. Glad it did... wish it did for me, 'cause I would have kept the phone if it did until a true fix came out.

Believe me when I say that between all the Verizon reps we tried everything, and unfortunately, nothing wound up working for me.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Check to make sure those apps aren't optimizing, check the battery in settings... Optimization was halting my notifications

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 2171.jpg
    2171.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 159

s1120403

Feb 15, 2016
Visit site
I have a Samsung s6 and had this problem too of not receiving notifications even though all the settings seemed to be set correctly. What solved the problem for me was to go to Settings > Battery >App optimization > Detail, turn this off. I started getting notifications immediately.

Moriendi

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I have a Samsung s6 and had this problem too of not receiving notifications even though all the settings seemed to be set correctly. What solved the problem for me was to go to Settings > Battery >App optimization > Detail, turn this off. I started getting notifications immediately.

Going inside the battery tab does not show "App optimization" in it for me.

kmunson007

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Ian Morgan2,

Your post is the one that finally did it for me. I'd seen similar info other places but you put it all together in one post. Long story short, there is more than one place to check in Settings for these notifications. Thank you Sir.

chrismoret

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
that work for me it was restricting notifications in the battery section under power saving now I am getting all of the notifications for Samsung S6
go to batterysettings
power saving mode
un click restrict all background data

batty49

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I tried all of this, I searched other websites and i was on the verge of a factory reset but....

When I went to clear my cache and storage I notice the "Notifications" was turned to "blocked". Switched it back to allowed and voila, it worked.

I hope this helps some of you.

To be clear my process was: Settings>Applications>Applications Manager>Messages>Notifications