Why am I unable to update my AT&T Galaxy S5 on stock Touchwiz to Lollipop?

sidward35

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Unable to update AT&T Galaxy S5 on stock Touchwiz to Lollipop

I have an AT&T Galaxy S5 that has the default version of Touchwiz on it, with Android 4.4.2. I never rooted or flashed any roms on this device, yet I am unable to get OTA updates.

My friend, who has the same phone with AT&T, updated to Lollipop a while ago, and recently got another update, both of which I didn't get. Whenever I check for updates on my phone, under the About Device section in system settings, it says "Software Update Interrupted. No update is available for your device at this time. Please try again in 24 hours."

What can I do to update my device to Lollipop?

Thanks,
Sid

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Unable to update AT&T Galaxy S5 on stock Touchwiz to Lollipop

Are you registered on the AT&T network or using another carrier?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

I am registered on the AT&T network, and I even bought the phone from them.

OK. That eliminates one possibility.

Since AT&T's G900A firmware is not issued by Samsung and is not available from the usual Samsung firmware download sites for you to flash, you will need to take your phone to AT&T to get it updated as their version of Lollipop has been available for about 5 months not to mention the numerous Android 4.4.4 updates that preceded Lollipop and date back a year ago, that you have also not received.

sidward35

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site

Since AT&T's G900A firmware is not issued by Samsung and is not available from the usual Samsung firmware download sites for you to flash, you will need to take your phone to AT&T to get it updated as their version of Lollipop has been available for about 5 months not to mention the numerous Android 4.4.4 updates that preceded Lollipop and date back a year ago, that you have also not received.

I called AT&T tech support about this issue, and they seemed to have no clue as to what was causing this problem. Not sure what to do at this point, but thanks for the help .

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

I called AT&T tech support about this issue, and they seemed to have no clue as to what was causing this problem. Not sure what to do at this point, but thanks for the help .

Not that it helps you but there are a lot of AT&T users out there that would give their eye teeth for a phone on Android 4.4.2 as it can be rooted and then updated to Lollipop. The latest AT&T Lollipop firmwares with their mega locked down bootloaders do not allow rooting.

You will need to get AT&T to update it for you.

Just as a matter of interest, what baseband version of Android 4.4.2 are you on? (Settings > About device > Baseband)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Are you able to update the device through Kies? It's a long shot, but worth a try before visiting an AT&T store.

sidward35

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site

Wow! You haven't had an update in over a year according to the AT&T website. In fact, you are running the last 4.4.2 version before the release of 4.4.4.

At the bottom of the link there is a chart that says that two updates of Lollipop have already been released, but just above the chart it also says that an update of 4.4.4 was released today itself. And yet I still can't get the updates. Strange.

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why am I unable to update my AT&T Galaxy S5 on stock Touchwiz to Lollipop?

Your problem is different, since it won't even try to take the update, but maybe something in my problem can help....

I had a similar problem with mine, earlier this year, but, I had rooted my phone. I used odin to restore it to the ATT factory image, did not trip knox, and it still would not update. (Mine differed also, because it would start the update process, then fail at 25% each time.)

Some suggested that I take to the Samsung experience guy at Best Buy, and that was a joke. He basically looked at it and said good luck....

I took it in to an ATT corporate store (not one of the franchises), and they got tech support on the line, and they spent 20 minutes on it, then just sent me another phone.

Have no idea what was wrong, but I guess we get into this stuff with these carrier locked down ROM's.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Why am I unable to update my AT&T Galaxy S5 on stock Touchwiz to Lollipop?

Rooting would have been my first thought had the OP not stated that they got it from new, direct from AT&T and had never rooted or flashed it.

sidward35

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I took it in to an ATT corporate store (not one of the franchises), and they got tech support on the line, and they spent 20 minutes on it, then just sent me another phone.

Yeah I guess the only solution is to just get it replaced by AT&T, but I think I'll just stick to KitKat for now as it doesn't have a locked bootloader, and I'll be able to root when I want.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz