Why are some of my old contacts lost in Samsung galaxy J7?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My some contacts in Samsung Galaxy J7 are lost. I saved some of them in Phone memory and some of them in Sim Card. But some of the contacts are lost (not all). Is it that the phone tries to fix certain no. of contacts or is due to any accidental change in settings by me? No. of contacts in my mobile are only about 270. Please need help on this.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Contacts are best saved to an account, rather than to the phone. They cannot then be lost.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
See the Contacts section of Backing up an Android Device to save them all them all to a file, then load them back as Google contacts. Then add the missing contacts, but as Google contacts, not as Phone or SIM contacts. Then you can't "lose" them. (If you end up with duplicates, go to Google Contacts, hit More, hit Find & merge duplicates, then clean things up.)

Phones and SIM cards can go bad, they can get lost, they can get driven over - but the Google servers will retain things. (Even if you delete a number accidentally, there's a Restore contacts ... item in More, and you can restore contacts deleted up to a month ago.)

And don't worry about "Google having your contacts". The employees who have the clearance necessary to look in those servers have better things to do with their time. (I used to correct typos in databases for customers. By the time I got to the second record I was working on, I couldn't tell you what type of item I had corrected in the first record. There's no need to remember things like that - so you don't. And Google doesn't correct your contacts - if you put in the wrong area code, it stays there until you try to call it, realize what's wrong, and make the correction. You. Google doesn't care. And they don't "use" or "sell" your contacts. [I don't work for Google, but I'm pretty sure that copying someone's contacts - even just writing down the name and phone number - is a "you're fired, I'll walk you to the door and we'll ship your stuff to you" kind of offense. Government agencies? They go to your carrier, not to Google.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oldersod