Why can't I change the "Draw Over Other Apps" Permissions?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have an Alcatel TCL LX Android smartphone, and I've recently had a major glitch in Google Play that I heard could be solved by changing which apps had permission to draw over other apps. I've found the menu under "Settings" where I can see which apps have permission and which don't. However, when I bring up the toggle for the permission and tap on it, nothing happens, no matter which app I'm trying to change the permissions of. I can't give permission to an app, and I also can't take permission away.

I hope that I'm making sense, and that someone here can give me some advice. Thank you all for your time.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think the better course of action would be to find the root cause of the problem. What was that glitch you mentioned that started you down this path?

You'll need to create an account so you can reply to this thread, and doing so helps us help you.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I have an Alcatel TCL LX Android smartphone, and I've recently had a major glitch in Google Play that I heard could be solved by changing which apps had permission to draw over other apps. I've found the menu under "Settings" where I can see which apps have permission and which don't. However, when I bring up the toggle for the permission and tap on it, nothing happens, no matter which app I'm trying to change the permissions of. I can't give permission to an app, and I also can't take permission away.

I hope that I'm making sense, and that someone here can give me some advice. Thank you all for your time.
Check "Developer Options" in Settings ->System->Developer Options and see if "Allow Screen Overlays.." is turned on. See attachment. If it is then turn it off and go back into the app permissions that you've tried before. Hopefully that will work.
4b579021a319eed5b7182f48fa50b37e.jpg

DavidKY

Dec 15, 2021
Visit site
Hello. This is the original person who asked the question. I apologize for taking so long to notice that people had replied!

The original glitch that led me to this site seems to have fixed itself, but I still can't change the "Draw Over Other Apps" permissions. I'm going to try to describe the situation anyway, in case anyone has a solution they would like to share that I might be able to apply if this ever happens again. Thank you all for your help with the original problem!

If I remember correctly, I was able to access Google Play normally, but whenever I tried to download or update anything, a small window would pop up telling me that another app was drawing over the screen, and that Google Play would be unresponsive until that app stopped drawing. It didn't tell me what the app was, though.

I did try Smokeaire01's suggestion, and I was able to access the Developer Options menu, but my menu options don't seem to include "Allow screen overlays on Settings" anywhere, or even "Show refresh rate." I suspect that my model of phone may simply not have those options, or that I may be doing something wrong. I am still very thankful for the suggestion, though.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello. This is the original person who asked the question. I apologize for taking so long to notice that people had replied!

The original glitch that led me to this site seems to have fixed itself, but I still can't change the "Draw Over Other Apps" permissions. I'm going to try to describe the situation anyway, in case anyone has a solution they would like to share that I might be able to apply if this ever happens again. Thank you all for your help with the original problem!

If I remember correctly, I was able to access Google Play normally, but whenever I tried to download or update anything, a small window would pop up telling me that another app was drawing over the screen, and that Google Play would be unresponsive until that app stopped drawing. It didn't tell me what the app was, though.

I did try Smokeaire01's suggestion, and I was able to access the Developer Options menu, but my menu options don't seem to include "Allow screen overlays on Settings" anywhere, or even "Show refresh rate." I suspect that my model of phone may simply not have those options, or that I may be doing something wrong. I am still very thankful for the suggestion, though.
Welcome to AC!
You can try go settings>apps>3 dots upper right corner tap>special access tap>appear on top or draw over should be the names you see tap that and toggle off the app u want see if its ok

DavidKY

Dec 15, 2021
Visit site
As a quick update, the glitch occurred again, so I can share exactly what it says. It says "Looks like another app is blocking access to Google Play. Turn off any apps that might be drawing over the screen and try again."

I'm planning to try putting it in Safe Mode and then checking the "Draw Over Other Apps" menu, although I'm hoping that I won't have to fiddle with the inner settings of the smartphone too much.

In case it helps, the glitch started again when I attempted to boot up Pokemon Go and update it from the Pokemon Go app page on the Google Play store. When I attempted to update Pokemon Go from my search results on Google Play, it seemed to work fine. I may have gotten confused and thought it had stopped, when I was actually just doing something that didn't trigger the glitch.

Thank you all again for your help.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you happen to have any third party screen filters (I.e. A blue light filter), notch hiding apps (I.e. Nacho Notch), or similar installed? I've had similar problems where I forgot I had such an app running.

BeOhBe

May 5, 2019
Visit site
Just as a safety feature, if you turned on developer options be sure to turn it back off again. There are things that act/work differently, or not at all, when that is on. There is also a highly increased danger of making a fatal mistake. Fine to use it, but best kept off in between.

DavidKY

Dec 15, 2021
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply! I went to the Draw Over Other Apps menu under the Special Access section in Settings, but every time I try to toggle an app's "Draw Over" privileges off, the toggle doesn't respond.