Why does Moto G dual sim take photo upon closing app? this is opposite of "close", how to stop it?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Why does Moto G dual sim take photo upon closing app? this is opposite of "close", how to stop it?

When I choose to exit the Camera app, and then see the recently opened apps, the window showing the camera app actually displays the last thing the camera was looking at even though at no time was it instructed to take a record of that image.

In fact, it should be obvious that when I tell the camera to stop, that taking a photo is literally the opposite action to what I just asked it to do. Sometimes this actually matters as it may involve either my or someone else's privacy. So legal implications are involved. It was not given permission to take an image and it was instructed to do the precise opposite - i.e., to close and cease functioning, not take an image which would then be recorded and displayed as the window representing that app in the list of recently used apps.

Why does the camera behave in this directly contrary-to-user's-intentions way? How can I stop it doing this? Surely there is legal liability for the makers of this app if the camera takes an image which it was not instructed to by the user?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why does Moto G dual sim take photo upon closing app? this is opposite of "close", how to stop i

Whatever the reason, this is not limited to that device, but is normal on Androids, iPhones, and Windows Phones.
To close the app, you would have to tap the X to remove the app from Recents, or swipe up on an iPhone, and swipe down on a WP.

Original poster

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Re: Why does Moto G dual sim take photo upon closing app? this is opposite of "close", how to stop i

"This is normal". That doesn't make it ok. It is a violation of the user's intention, which is never ok. I know how to remove the image once it has been taken, thanks. But I want to know how to restore my control over the camera and stop it from taking an image instead of just shutting the camera down, which is the exact opposite of "take a snapshot of whatever the lens was pointing at, and THEN shut down, whilst keeping an image of it as well as displaying this without being instructed to either take, keep, or display the image". It actually does three separate things that are entirely contrary to the instruction "close app". This is not "normal". It is abusive. Please provide a way to stop it from happening. It's like swapping the brake and accelerator and then saying "this is normal". It's like a tap increasing the flow instead of turning it off. It's not ok.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site

It is normal because the app is still open in RAM. Close it down as already recommended. Do you see any snaps of what is shown in the app in Photos?? No, you won't Legal implications?? There aren's any. If you are not happy, speak to Motorola. We have tried to inform you but you have decided to go "off on one". We are here as a group of enthusiasts to help others. We have no connection with ANY mobile manufacturer so vent your anger elsewhere rather than at those trying to assist.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

Your concern about privacy would apply to all apps held in RAM, and in fact to most of the content of the phone. Use a PIN to keep your phone locked: everything in the phone, including apps held in RAM, is then secure.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! If you're concerned about privacy issues, then are you ensuring that no one besides you can use your phone? You must have a good screen lock set up, right? If you follow essential security practices for personal tech, then the risk of someone else unintentionally seeing an image should be very low indeed.

As mentioned above, this is the kind of thing you can send feedback about to Google and/or Moto.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci