Why does my Note 4 Lollipop screen turn off when scrolling notifications?

A

AC Question

Note 4 lollipop screen turns off when scrolling notifications

Ever since the upgrade to lollipop - when I scroll the notifications from the top bar - my screen turns off, the phone locks, and I have to unlock it. This makes scrolling through these notifications impractical.

Any ideas on what can be done here?

Thanks

Turipz

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I'll try doing that and report back. Speaking of backup - all the backup methods I tried - device switch, backup apps, Kies backup - they all leave a lot that doesn't get properly restored - like I always end up having to restore all my app folders (I have a few of those), text messages and other stuff.

Is there a sure fired way to do a proper full backup that would also give me a proper full restore?

Thanks

Androidprodigy

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Note 4 lollipop screen turns off when scrolling notifications

I use "helium", which allows you to backup app data, passwords, pictures...etc. to your computer. The premium version allows you to backup to cloud softwares like Google drive. But I like the simplicity of just dragging and dropping one folder with all of my backed up data back onto the phone once it is restored.

Turipz

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I installed and used Helium, but when I reset the phone, Helium was repeatedly unable to connect back to my computer and recover the backup, so that totally failed. Also - nothing I used (Google backup, easy backup, Samsung backup) recovered my app folder structure (how I used folders to put apps into so they are divided or arranged by my own categories), or my preferred wallpaper, or my custom ringtones. I had to do all that manually.

Worst yet - the problem I reported still exists - when I pull down the notifications from the top of the screen, and scroll up and down through them, the screen turns off and the phone locks. Same as before...

Any ideas? Can anyone try pulling down the notifications and scrolling them up and down and see what you get?

Thanks

millerwa76

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I have the same exact issue on my S5. It's annoying as anything. Please post a fix if you figure it out. I'm debating on whether or not I should trade my S5 in for a Note 4 today, so either way I guess there's a good chance I'll be needing to fix this.

jerbroni

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I also have this exact same problem; I've tried to be patient because I've been too busy to fool around with the phone, and figured that it might have been a setting, but the best I can do is extend the password timeout to a couple of minutes to get past the need to unlock every time this happens.
I was unlocking via fingerprint and at one point when I just decided to use my google account, the damn thing would auto-turn off every time I got to entering the .com portion of my username. Argh. You can thumbtype at 10000wpm and it wouldn't let you get to the pw box before shutting off again.
Disabled eye sensor, didn't fix it either. I assumed maybe the phone was cracked out and thought that I was looking away, so it would turn the screen off.
Reset the device to defaults, didn't work.
I'm either going to try and revert back to Kitkat or something/root to get out of this Samsung-infused mess, or I'm going to run it over with each and every axle on all 4 of my cars in a bout of smoking fury in my driveway. What a POS!!!
Every time that I open the notifications list or try to toggle a setting I know that there's a 50/50 chance that the screen will go dark in the next 0.5-3 seconds, even while I'm scrolling or changing an option.
They should sub a vowel and add a vowel and rename this dumb thing to lol-****. Wife is having a field trip with this as I usually blast her for having an iPhone...

millerwa76

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Note 4 for just over 2 weeks now, got the Lollipop update thrown on me about 30 minutes after I got the phone, but luckily I did not experience this issue. Seems like maybe a glitch in the L update that only affects random users.

jerbroni

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I wish the phone would spit out cash for us "lucky few" ;)

Intern at the office heard me complaining about my phone a few moments ago and chimed in that her S5 does it too. We will be launching a support group soon lol

I've had my Note 4 for just over 2 weeks now, got the Lollipop update thrown on me about 30 minutes after I got the phone, but luckily I did not experience this issue. Seems like maybe a glitch in the L update that only affects random users.

jerbroni

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I submitted a ticket to android support; their response is to contact Samsung for help. I guess that makes sense since it's their implementation of the OS. Not sure if others with this issue are primarily Samsung users.

Turipz

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Here's an update: I'm using the s view cover, and once I removed it from my phone, this problem stopped, so it looks in my case to be yet another bug with Samsung's s view cover - which I hoped only happened on my note 3, but it seems there are these new ones with the note 4.

Thanks

Turipz

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Anyone having this problem - please let me know if removing the s view cover helped, as I'm working with Samsung support on this, and feedback from other people would help. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick