Why does my phone connect to WiFi but says no internet access?

ghost25

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Sh*t... I'd hoped to avoid this step; but, I guess that's the price we pay for relying on modern technology. Thanks for trying to help guys, much appreciated. I'll update if/when this works :/

ghost25

May 23, 2011
Visit site
So quick update: I did factory reset my phone, but I'm still having the same issue re:will not connect to Internet when I connect to WiFi. I'm wondering if I actually broke something in my modem by having my RaspPi set up wrong? I'm gonna ask on another forum about that... I'll keep y'all updated. Thanks.

ghost25

May 23, 2011
Visit site
So, the message on my factory reset phone reads as such:
"Internet may not be available

If you want to connect to this network without internet access, you can connect only this time or you can set your phone to always connect to it even if internet isn't available.

You can change this in Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi . ADVANCED > Switch to mobile date > Network exceptions"

with the options of

Connect only this time
Always connect
Disconnect

Maybe this is my "punishment" for trying to avoid ads on my phone? Lol like "you either get no wifi or you will accept ads, and you will like it!" I dunno haha

ghost25

May 23, 2011
Visit site
So, update: I factory reset my phone (lost a bunch of pics), but that itself did not solve the problem. Out of desperation, I disconnected my PiHole and completely reset my home network to factory settings; this solved it. Evidently, the problem was NOT in the phone, software, or anything else - it was entirely a network issue. I guess the lesson to be gathered is, before factory resetting your phone, reset your modem to factory settings. Thanks for the help guys.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So, update: I factory reset my phone (lost a bunch of pics), but that itself did not solve the problem. Out of desperation, I disconnected my PiHole and completely reset my home network to factory settings; this solved it. Evidently, the problem was NOT in the phone, software, or anything else - it was entirely a network issue. I guess the lesson to be gathered is, before factory resetting your phone, reset your modem to factory settings. Thanks for the help guys.
Interesting you mentioned in post #8 any WiFi u couldn't connect didn't seem to be with the WiFi network, but glad it's working

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Glad you figured it out, and sorry you had to go through the hassle of a factory reset!