Why does my Pixel 2 XL charger no longer charge my phone, what should I do?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I've purchased a google Pixel 2 XL less than 2 months ago. Up until recently everything was fine. One night I went to plug in the google pixel 2 charger and it did not charge, which I thought was odd. I restarted the phone and it did not work. So I had to borrow a friends portable charger which worked fine, same speed and all. When I went to try again the next day, my google charger began to work again, however it then stopped after a charge.

I've done some research online and have seen that others are having similar troubles. I can't seem to find any clear cut resolution to my predicament. I have also read into the phones charging capabilities. Apparently it cannot handle a load bigger than 9V/18W, otherwise you risk damaging the phone. I had not used any other chargers on my phone apart from the wall adapter I used while I was in America, however even then I was using my Pixel 2 charger on the wall adapter.

Could anyone help me out? Or should I buy a Samsung charger which is 9V/18W USB-A to USB-C, or ultimately seeing how the phone is still under warranty, should I send it back to google. I want to avoid this as I live in Australia and it will take over a month to do.

Regards,
Luca

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
OK, I'll address a couple of these...

I've done some research online and have seen that others are having similar troubles. I can't seem to find any clear cut resolution to my predicament. I have also read into the phones charging capabilities.

Have you contacted Google? You've done step 1 - trying with another charger. Since it worked, you identified the charge block as the problem. I haven't used mine except to test a theory so I can't contribute personal experience.

Apparently it cannot handle a load bigger than 9V/18W, otherwise you risk damaging the phone. I had not used any other chargers on my phone apart from the wall adapter I used while I was in America, however even then I was using my Pixel 2 charger on the wall adapter.

The current the phone draws is ultimately controlled by the phone. You shouldn't have a problem using a higher-rate charger as the charge rate is negotiated to the lowest-supported rate of all parts of the "chain". This is all part of the USB spec.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter