Why exactly does iOS 7 need to be 64bit?

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Going with Apple's current rate of spec increases, we can expect to 4gb of ram in the iphone 7 in 2016 or ipad7 in 2015.

By then, most, if not all apps should be compiled for 64-bit, and majority of iphone users would be on either 5s, 6, 6s or 7.

It's quite clever when you realise that Apple's roadmap and tight control over their hardware / software basically allows them to transition over to a new platform relatively seamlessly and painlessly.

Conversely, how smooth do you think Android's migration to 64-bit computing might be?

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Going with Apple's current rate of spec increases, we can expect to 4gb of ram in the iphone 7 in 2016 or ipad7 in 2015.

By then, most, if not all apps should be compiled for 64-bit, and majority of iphone users would be on either 5s, 6, 6s or 7.

It's quite clever when you realise that Apple's roadmap and tight control over their hardware / software basically allows them to transition over to a new platform relatively seamlessly and painlessly.

Conversely, how smooth do you think Android's migration to 64-bit computing might be?

I do agree that their migration will be much smoother, however I still rather have the flexability to end users that Android has. From the OS tweaks to the sheer variety of devices you can go with, there's just more choice on the Android platform. One size (both literally and figuretively) doesnt really work in any other product, so why would the phone market be any different?

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I do agree that their migration will be much smoother, however I still rather have the flexability to end users that Android has. From the OS tweaks to the sheer variety of devices you can go with, there's just more choice on the Android platform. One size (both literally and figuretively) doesnt really work in any other product, so why would the phone market be any different?

It works because ultimately, IOS is just one choice in a sea of choices, with its fair share of strengths and features that are sure to appeal to its fair share of supporters. No one is holding anyone in an armlock and forcing them to use an iphone. For people whom the iphone meets their needs, why wouldn't they get an iphone?

In the end, it simply boils down to personal preference.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
It works because ultimately, IOS is just one choice in a sea of choices, with its fair share of strengths and features that are sure to appeal to its fair share of supporters. No one is holding anyone in an armlock and forcing them to use an iphone. For people whom the iphone meets their needs, why wouldn't they get an iphone?

In the end, it simply boils down to personal preference.

You missed the point. For the most part people don't swing back and forth between the platforms. Once you spend a significant amount in one ecosystem, it's pretty difficult to justying doing it all over again. Apple, for whatever reason until now with the 5C has only made one iPhone each year. Other then memory size, you have until now, been stuck with just once choice each year within that ecosystem. Which is odd when you consider that Apple itself offers different sizes of iPads, different sizes of computer monitors, different sizes and configurations of both laptops and desktop computers....yet only 1 phone. It's not really logical. And they have lost marketshare over it.

Meanwhile on the Android side of things you have all sorts of sizes and features in any given year.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
You missed the point. For the most part people don't swing back and forth between the platforms. Once you spend a significant amount in one ecosystem, it's pretty difficult to justying doing it all over again. Apple, for whatever reason until now with the 5C has only made one iPhone each year. Other then memory size, you have until now, been stuck with just once choice each year within that ecosystem. Which is odd when you consider that Apple itself offers different sizes of iPads, different sizes of computer monitors, different sizes and configurations of both laptops and desktop computers....yet only 1 phone. It's not really logical. And they have lost marketshare over it.

Meanwhile on the Android side of things you have all sorts of sizes and features in any given year.

This much definitely agree over

Posted via Android Central App

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I did point out the thing you got wrong before. And I don't mind the definition, but I am STILL waiting to hear the term for what I am describing. If you think I am using it wrong, okay then, what's the correct term?

Well never did get that "correct" term, so I can only assume that there isn't one and will continue to use the walled garden term until such time that another term comes up!

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Customization.

Unless you say the lack of customization is a walled garden.

Okay..that word tends to not be part of my normal vocabulary and I don't think it fully describes the situation overall with the lack of choice in what handset you can buy or even how your phone gets used. But it works on some level. Maybe the best choice of word would be...limited.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Okay..that word tends to not be part of my normal vocabulary and I don't think it fully describes the situation overall with the lack of choice in what handset you can buy or even how your phone gets used. But it works on some level. Maybe the best choice of word would be...limited.

Yes the iPhone is very limited when it comes to the ability to do exactly what you want.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes the iPhone is very limited when it comes to the ability to do exactly what you want.

Yup. It's good if you don't mind the confines of a smaller screen or lack of customization ability and the limitation of only one time a year when a new model will come out from just one manufacture. And for many people that is fine. But for many others it is not. I do like where they are going with the fingerprinter sensor though. It's a good idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hunterm2