why is everyone so hyped about lollipop?

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm in know hurry to get lollipop when it comes it come my note edge is a beast just the way it is beside the pop has a lot of bugs that need to be worked out first

Posted via Android Central App

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
This AC article explains it all quite well (excerpt below, bolded part by me! :)): Why you'll never have the latest version of Android | Android Central

Excerpt:
"As updates become more common, and consumers become more tech-savvy, there’s an increasing awareness that devices can be updated, and an expectation that they should be updated. With that comes a sort of “update anxiety.” If you’ve dropped by any smartphone message board, such as our own forums or XDA’s, you’ll know what we mean by this. Threads abound asking when ICS, or Jelly Bean, will be available for certain devices. In the event of delayed or even canceled updates, Internet denizens swear they’ll never buy another phone from that manufacturer or carrier again. It’s an entirely negative ownership experience.

While this isn’t representative of the entire user base -- not by far -- it’s an example of how many power users experience Android smartphones. They’re always behind the curve, always waiting on an update, never fully enjoying the product that they’ve bought as they’ve bought it. Part of that is the fault of the tech press -- we’re always focused on what’s new, and that means talking about software that hasn’t yet reached most folks."

I've been talking to people on the Original Note 10.1 forum here about not being able to update some apps now on my Note 10.1 (2012) which is still on Jellybean. I was anxious to get JellyBean and it was something new and an Update which I liked very much, but no more updates after that. Am I upset, yes, but I'm happy with it the way it is now. I can update to Kit Kat by using a different Country's firmware which I did before we got Jelly Bean to test it out. I don't do it now, because if I update, I will lose some features I use all the time now. I like being able to cascade the windows and also move the window around the screen. If I lose that in the Kit Kat Update, It's not going to make my experience any better. I am upset that I can't update the apps and may have to do the Kit Kat Firmware, but I'm fine not doing the update if I don't want to. I'm getting a lot of People telling me they'll never buy a Samsung Device again, because a flagship device only got one update in a couple of years. I'm like, what else out there can you get that does what the Note Series does? Nothing! I use my Note 10.1 for drawing, so the S Pen is a big thing to me. Ipads don't cut it and Surface doesn't have many apps and too expensive. So I'm not thrilled about not that many updates, but there's usually a workaround or something to get them on XDA forum. I'm waiting for a new Note 10.1 to come out this year, hopefully if the rumors are true. I will not give up on Samsung, just because of Updates.

I guess my point is, like others have said, if it's something that's really worth getting in an update or a major change, I'm all for it. If it's more problems, I can wait. I love my Note 4 the way it is now and I still don't know all the features it does and I've had it since release day. So updates can be nice, but sometimes it doesn't always seem like it's needed. I use to be all excited like everybody else about them. Talk to me in a year or so, if I get bored with the phone, which I don't see happening, maybe I'll consider it. I hope they find an easy root method so I can skip the Lollipop update. I'll wait until the bugs are out. I know you can Root the Note 4 now, but waiting until it's an easier process. Last I read, Verizon Note 4 you still couldn't root, just T-Mobile and AT&T, not sure about the Sprint Variant. I only want root to skip the OTA, nothing else.

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
kCbE3OB.gif

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I've been talking to people on the Original Note 10.1 forum here about not being able to update some apps now on my Note 10.1 (2012) which is still on Jellybean. I was anxious to get JellyBean and it was something new and an Update which I liked very much, but no more updates after that. Am I upset, yes, but I'm happy with it the way it is now. I can update to Kit Kat by using a different Country's firmware which I did before we got Jelly Bean to test it out. I don't do it now, because if I update, I will lose some features I use all the time now. I like being able to cascade the windows and also move the window around the screen. If I lose that in the Kit Kat Update, It's not going to make my experience any better. I am upset that I can't update the apps and may have to do the Kit Kat Firmware, but I'm fine not doing the update if I don't want to. I'm getting a lot of People telling me they'll never buy a Samsung Device again, because a flagship device only got one update in a couple of years. I'm like, what else out there can you get that does what the Note Series does? Nothing! I use my Note 10.1 for drawing, so the S Pen is a big thing to me. Ipads don't cut it and Surface doesn't have many apps and too expensive. So I'm not thrilled about not that many updates, but there's usually a workaround or something to get them on XDA forum. I'm waiting for a new Note 10.1 to come out this year, hopefully if the rumors are true. I will not give up on Samsung, just because of Updates.

I guess my point is, like others have said, if it's something that's really worth getting in an update or a major change, I'm all for it. If it's more problems, I can wait. I love my Note 4 the way it is now and I still don't know all the features it does and I've had it since release day. So updates can be nice, but sometimes it doesn't always seem like it's needed. I use to be all excited like everybody else about them. Talk to me in a year or so, if I get bored with the phone, which I don't see happening, maybe I'll consider it. I hope they find an easy root method so I can skip the Lollipop update. I'll wait until the bugs are out. I know you can Root the Note 4 now, but waiting until it's an easier process. Last I read, Verizon Note 4 you still couldn't root, just T-Mobile and AT&T, not sure about the Sprint Variant. I only want root to skip the OTA, nothing else.

Haha, yup I've been keeping up with the threads over in the OG Note 10.1 forum. :) Still happy with mine on Jelly Bean, it still performs well and does everything I need. I understand some user's frustration with its OS updates. But in reality, it's 2+ years old now and already received a major OS update from ICS to JB, so IMO it's time to move on from expecting it to receive any more major updates. Personally I don't care for a lot of Google's new app updates (not a fan of Material Design), so not a problem not being able to update them on the OG Note 10.1. Actually wish I could go back to using some older versions on the Note 4 (ex. Maps), but it requires root that the retail Verizon version doesn't have yet (wish I knew about the dev edition sooner).

Anyway, you can kill the OTA updater and its notice nag on the Verizon Note 4 without root using this from XDA (I used it about a month ago, worked like a charm!): :)
[GUIDE] Disable Knox and the OTA without roo… | Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 | XDA Forums

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking forward to improvements in SD card storage AND the ability to shoot in RAW format. The majority of my photography is done in RAW format and it will be nice to have that feature on my Note 4 as well. I enjoy post processing rather than the camera making those decisions for me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
People like new shiny things .. that is why :D.

I personally can wait .. I just want it to be released and be in all its glory (such as squashed bugs) -- So no rush.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Since activating MTP you can now mount a USB thumb drive directly to your phone & access anything on the thumb drive and audio USB which is the same car stereo/phone interface with a iphone except w/o any DRM crude. Cant wit for my 2012 N7 to get it so i can use it in the car.

dovlab

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Developers need to upgrade sooner then others if they want to check if their app is working properly. For example, I need to upgrade my phone to check if apps I made for others will work. The problem is I have only one device (S4) that can be upgraded, and I'm using that phone every day. So, now I'm waiting for the best moment to upgrade and not put my everyday usage at risk...

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Developers need to upgrade sooner then others if they want to check if their app is working properly. For example, I need to upgrade my phone to check if apps I made for others will work. The problem is I have only one device (S4) that can be upgraded, and I'm using that phone every day. So, now I'm waiting for the best moment to upgrade and not put my everyday usage at risk...

As a developer I'd imagine you'd have at least 2 devices and if one of them is a Nexus it may be even more helpful.

dovlab

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
As a developer I'd imagine you'd have at least 2 devices and if one of them is a Nexus it may be even more helpful.

Unfortunately no. I have Galaxy S4 (which I use for development), Alcatel Idol 2 Mini (piece of sh.. if I may say, but good for testing) and Motorola Xoom tablet, which is far from lollipop. I guess I'll take my chances and upgrade G4 in a few days...

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I see so many threads about it. Isn't the note4 fast enough as it is?

It has the potential to fix the assess to the external SD card, that was broken by KitKat.
The inability of non-root apps to write the external SD card is a big handicap for me. Lollipop has a way to apps to write the card again.

I also can't deny that I like to try 'new' things. Though I'm not tired of the stock Note 4 yet, so I'm not in a rush.

Last edited by a moderator:

dcooper830

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy with my Note 4 as it is. I don't anticipate Lollipop being a huge change anyway... just like Kit Kat wasn't a huge change from ICS on my Note 3 .. except that it drained the battery a little faster.

When the Lollipop update comes for my Note 4 I'll do it and be mildly excited. . But I can wait.

My old 2012 Note 10.1 is still on Ice Cream Sandwich and I'm extremely happy with it.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have Lolipop on my Nexus 4 and honestly, there really is nothing special about it. If I had been given the chance today to stay on 4.4.4 or upgrade to 5.0, I would stay. I was actually looking forward to having 4.4.4 on my Note 4. I have a few apps that actually quit working once I upgraded the Nexus 4. I think I'll install those apps on my Note 4 and see how they do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky