Why is my battery draining when phone isn't being used?

Stav Edgar

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
my screen is set to auto brightness
all the extra features are turned off (gps, screen gesture, air view...etc.)
wifi is off
phone on power saving mode
turned off auto sync for all counts

I've done all that and my battery is draining even when I don't use the phone. 80% battery lasts me 4.5 hours. Battery runs out within 6 hours even if didn't use it- no web search, games.. etc. What do I do? :'(

SoodNihal

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Restrict the background data of individual apps from settings/data usage...this will work...and clear d apps u dnt use...and change ur antivirus buddy if u have...its d main cause B|

Sent from my GT-N7100 using AC Forums mobile app

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
wifi is off

I've done all that and my battery is draining even when I don't use the phone. 80% battery lasts me 4.5 hours. Battery runs out within 6 hours even if didn't use it- no web search, games.. etc. What do I do? :'(

One thing just to get out of the way first..."auto brightness" is NOT a battery saving feature, though many seem to think it is! If you want to get the most power saving out of the screen brightness, just fix it to a static low setting and (if necessary) adjust it as needed.

Having said that, I don't think that will help since there's obviously something else going on with your phone. I leave all that stuff (wifi, gps, bt, sync, disable power saving mode) on all the time and often get close to 48 hours on a single charge. Can you elaborate more on what items are showing up in the battery usage page? Perhaps install wakelock detector to see if something is consuming power when on standby?

kirkhere

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Location services can waste a lot of battery. Try turning that off in settings. Also check the Battery option in Settings to see what is using battety. For further info about what is using battery, get the BetterBatteryStats app.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Why turn off power savings mode?

Posted via Android Central App

Because it's pretty worthless...

Using the default options, power saving mode does 3 things:

1. CPU Throttling. This may save on power consumption, but it's simply something I'm not willing to do. I'm not going to buy a top-of-the-line device with a fast processor only to cripple it and make my system noticeably slower.

2. Screen power saving. I keep my brightness set at a pretty low level already, so this isn't going to do anything for me

3. Turn off haptic feedback. Again, easy enough to disable on your own if you really want to save power and/or don't care for the feature. Personally, I like it.

Frankly, it's only the first option I'm against, but as I mentioned, the other things it does are things most of us manually do anyway, so #1 is really primary focus here. Just know that if you run with power saving mode on (and leave the CPU option checked), your device will potentially run slower, stutter and lag more as a result of the CPU being throttled. To me, definitely not worth it.

Location services can waste a lot of battery. Try turning that off in settings. Also check the Battery option in Settings to see what is using battety. For further info about what is using battery, get the BetterBatteryStats app.

Location services only use power when they are being used, just having them done does next to nothing. If your location services are running to the point that they are draining your battery, it may be a good idea to figure out what apps are trying to ping your location that often.

As I mentioned above though, I agree the OP needs to come back with some more info regarding what, specifically, is using that much battery, because it's far from normal if the battery is in good condition.

In cases like this, where there is obvious problem above and beyond normal use, simply suggesting the standard responses for conserving battery don't help that much...a more in depth analysis is required.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
It might be from wakelocks. This is when your phone is coming out of deep sleep to sync apps, etc. You can download apps to see which one specifically is causing your battery to drain when you're not using your phone. I use wakelock detector but betterbatterystats works well too

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

OverLordOfYou

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Something has gone haywire in your system. Honestly you'll hate this but it'll save you Days of frustration FACTORY RESET ... It'll wipe your phone but it should only take you a few hours to put it back the way you want or had it. Either way you'll spend hours trying to fix it. At last this way your system is restored and any phishing or spam apps are wiped out and you can get your battery life back. I'm a heavy user = talk on phone an average of 2.5 -3.5 hrs , web browse 1.5 -2hrs, listen to pre downloaded pod cast 2 hrs and YouTube lightly 1/2hr (lost interest in the site for a while) plus have gps , data screen rotation, smart stay, air view, sync and auto brightness all on all the time and the phone will last thru all this on 1 charge and average 9 hrs with non stop use. I do have battery guru installed and it works for me since I have alot of apps that have background sync. I have Facebook, Tweetdeck , flipboard, 3 yahoo accounts (2 company), 3 gmail accounts (2 company). I hardly use power saving bc if you're using your phone and have it on it feels like the battery drains quicker but if its sitting unused I guess it does it's job (I'm not one that keeps my phone without use unless I'm asleep)

Rnkriis

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Do you have Google Now on? I turned mine off and almost doubled the battery life. I noticed it was using a lot of battery just siting there.

tytlyf

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
After the recent update I ran into an issue where my phone would not go to sleep at all. 24/7 awake even when the phone was locked. That's probably what's going on. Use wakelock detector to pinpoint cause and see if your phone is just awake all the time.

SERBDVB

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
how do i disabling location services for facebook , because i 'm using wakelock doctor and facebook is using a lot od pings for location 130 times in 3 hours

Papson kola1

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
wifi is off

D solution is, take ur fone to an engineer, there is something wrong with the battery connector

Aggie Meerwald

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Restrict the background data of individual apps from settings/data usage...this will work...and clear d apps u dnt use...and change ur antivirus buddy if u have...its d main cause B|

Sent from my GT-N7100 using AC Forums mobile app

Thank you!!!! I think you've hit the nail on the head .... I hope!

kojikenn

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
Guys I have a Prob. Im using j7 2016. Its pretty good sometimes my battery lasts 7 days. Then I got too much unnescessary files. Phones needs cleaning so Fatory reset the phone and installed same apps. And I noticed my battery is draining. I dont turn off any sync etc. But it last 3 days
But now aroung 8hours. Im not sure whats the cause

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord