Why is my phone restarting on its own and unmounting the SD card?

Epscillion

Jul 5, 2019
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S7 and since a recent update a few days ago it has been restarting on it's own everyday at least once a day. When I go into my phone after the update my SD card is gone from the storage menu. So I restarted the phone myself and that gets my SD card back up on the storage menu. I'm not sure what to do from here to get it to stop restarting.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S7 and since a recent update a few days ago it has been restarting on it's own everyday at least once a day. When I go into my phone after the update my SD card is gone from the storage menu. So I restarted the phone myself and that gets my SD card back up on the storage menu. I'm not sure what to do from here to get it to stop restarting.
What Android version your on ? Oreo?
Have you tried clearing cache in recovery?

Epscillion

Jul 5, 2019
Visit site
Thank you for responding so quickly. My Android version is 8.0.0 , and it isn't an Oreo. I've cleared it from storage where it says "clean now", but my SD card still doesn't show up. Only when I restart the phone myself does it pop back up. I'm not sure how to clear the cache in recovery.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
8.0 is Oreo
Recovery resart the phone before it starts back up.hold volume up and power button same time then in menu scroll with volume button to cache and select with power button
Thank you for responding so quickly. My Android version is 8.0.0 , and it isn't an Oreo. I've cleared it from storage where it says "clean now", but my SD card still doesn't show up. Only when I restart the phone myself does it pop back up. I'm not sure how to clear the cache in recovery.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Just because the card is new doesn't mean it can't be defective or somehow corrupted already. Does it randomly restart if you leave the card out? Can you test another card?

Reactions: Golfdriver97

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, first things first -- that's an 8 year old phone that's running a very outdated version of Android, so I would strongly suggest considering upgrading to a more current phone, for security's sake. Outdated devices like these are at much greater risk for security vulnerabilities that never got patched .

Have you already read through this thread and tried what has been suggested? Let us know what you've tried so far.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Name

May 25, 2024
Visit site
I tried putting the microSD card into my computer to check there was nothing wrong with it - I was able to backup and write to the card like normal.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Let's take issues one by one. The OP of this thread mentioned the phone restarting every day. Is that happening to you as well? If so, is there an auto-restart option in your system settings?

Name

May 25, 2024
Visit site
There is an auto-restart option, but I turned that off years ago. The phone is not restarting every day, it just happens when I restart it with the microSD card inserted. And when it restarts, it dismounts the card/stops detecting it.

Name

May 25, 2024
Visit site
Nothing different I'd think, but I actually found a message saying the card was corrupted apparently, so backed everything up and already formatted it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sketch232