Why is my wifi (and sometimes mobile data) being very slow in some cases on my Galaxy S7 Edge

A

AC Question

Hi there everyone,

So about 2 weeks ago I got the Galaxy S7 Edge, which on the whole I am very happy with. However, soon after getting it I noticed that when using wifi certain things do not load at all.

To elaborate:

- Facebook newsfeed does not refresh properly. As most of you will know you can load up Facebook app every 5 minutes and there will always be new posts coming up. Full down to refresh will not work and if I try to click on a Facebook Page Icon it will often say 'cannot connect' at the bottom. With mobile data it is fairly similar but will eventually give me a couple of new posts but only about 3.

- Facebook Messenger App will say 'waiting for network' most of the time. It will sometimes connect while in the window and sometimes I will get push notifications. This is very hit and miss really. Using mobile data instead of wifi is more stable with this app.

- I have noticed that Whatsapp also doesnt seem to push notifications too me as it should do. It will do eventually but more often than not, it doesnt.

- Gmail does not push notifications too me I have to go into the app and pull down to refresh which does seem to work.

- I also use a newsfeed widget from an app called Appy Gamer which has a refresh button. Doesnt not matter whether its on wifi or mobile data, it will not refresh and it should do. The only way I can refresh it is removing it from the homescreen and placing it again.

The strange thing is that my old phone was a Galaxy S6, I used all these apps including the Appy Gamer one and everything worked fine and as it should do. I have tested my wifi connection and its fine, my network provider's coverage is fine (same as old phone). I can however update apps, install new ones and browse the internet on both wifi and mobile data without any issues. I did some digging and saw that the S7 Edge does have a wifi problem and was apparently confirmed fixed in an update they released...but that doesnt seem to be the case here.

Any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Any power saving modes turned on? Do you have Restrict Background Data turned on in Settings>Data Usage?

Also try going to Settings>Wi-fi, tap More>Advanced, and make sure any wi-fi optimization options are turned off​ (not on).

Mathew Creed

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Any power saving modes turned on? Do you have Restrict Background Data turned on in Settings>Data Usage?

Also try going to Settings>Wi-fi, tap More>Advanced, and make sure any wi-fi optimization options are turned off​ (not on).

Hi there thanks for the reply. The background data option is turned on. However, going into WiFi / More / Advance doesn't seem possible. There is no Advance option there at all

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying that Restrict Background Data is turned on? That is, the phone is actively restricting background data usage? If so, turn off background data restriction.

Mathew Creed

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Sorry my mistake...the option is just Background Data on/off. It is set to on which means that the mobile data still updates apps and so on in the background. Mobile data isn't so bad and I can sort of deal with it...the main issue is the WiFi...that's the real killer

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does this only happen on your home wi-fi network, or also on others? If it's only yours. try logging into the router settings and disabling IPv6 temporarily.

lycan666

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Are you using net gear , change your router security settings to the first option that is non aes

Posted via the Android Central App