Why is the S21U still so expensive?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
It's over a year after it's introduction and it seems to still be selling for list price almost everywhere.

I thought prices dropped after a phone had been on sale for a few months.

Am I missing something? Are there any deals to be had on the S21U?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I too would have thought that prices would have dropped by now -- but unfortunately, the smartphone market can be that way. How soon do you need to upgrade? Black Friday and back-to-school sales would be safe bets for deals!

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Are you looking for unlocked? Or Carrier version? It all depends usually some deals run on the months soon after release and then sometimes carriers bump the prices back up... Is there a reason why you're looking for the S21 over the s22 U?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Are you looking for unlocked? Or Carrier version? It all depends usually some deals run on the months soon after release and then sometimes carriers bump the prices back up... Is there a reason why you're looking for the S21 over the s22 U?
From what I've read the battery life of the S21U is much better than the S22U. And I like the form factor of the S21U better with its rounded off corners. I also like a flatter screen. I really don't like curved edges and the S21U has a flatter screen than the S22U. Cameras seem to be almost identical other than at extreme zoom which I rarely, if ever, use. Plus, it's a bit less expensive (or so I thought LOL).
Looking for either a Verizon version or an unlocked one. Unlocked works on the Verizon network, right?

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
From what I've read the battery life of the S21U is much better than the S22U. And I like the form factor of the S21U better with its rounded off corners. I also like a flatter screen. I really don't like curved edges and the S21U has a flatter screen than the S22U. Cameras seem to be almost identical other than at extreme zoom which I rarely, if ever, use. Plus, it's a bit less expensive (or so I thought LOL).
Looking for either a Verizon version or an unlocked one. Unlocked works on the Verizon network, right?
Totally understand...let's see if anything pops up for sales ...I think supply might be the issue ...are you looking to trade in anything ?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I went ahead and ordered the silver unlocked version on Amazon. Still don't understand why the price hasn't budged in over a year but, whatever.
Now searching for a case.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Because its still a top tier device and only a year old. It has dropped in price, but don't expect to get a mint or good condition s21 ultra for say $500. That is mid range device prices.

Last edited:

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Because its still a top tier device and only a year old. It has dropped in price, but don't expect to get a mint or good condition s21 ultra for say $500. That is mid range device prices.

I just got an email from Samsung where we can trade in our s21 Ultras and get the 22 Ultra for 299 for the 512. But I also read the battery wasn't as good as the 21 and I was thinking about it but realized we have more ram 16 over 12 so it probably isn't worth it. My husband just liked the idea of the pen inside and said he would use the pen more we have pens now and hardly use them. But I am starting to think it's not worth it.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I went ahead and ordered the silver unlocked version on Amazon. Still don't understand why the price hasn't budged in over a year but, whatever.
Now searching for a case.

Congratulations on your purchase! How are you liking your S21 Ultra so far?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Other than the fact that it's a heavy device, I'm loving it. Buttery smooth, great reception, battery life is incredible and the cameras are amazing.

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Form factor for sure. Something else I learned.....the S22 Ultra no longer works with the Razor Kishi. If you're a gamer, that matters. I'm just glad I pulled the plug when I did and I got mine in October. Guess I'll go ahead and get an S-Pen and case too. I just haven't found a case with a kickstand that also can be used with the S-Pen (that I like).

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Another factor is demand, people still want to buy them.
Yes, I was one of them. I found the slightly rounded corners and flatter screen more to my liking than the S22U. Also there are far more problems occurring with the S22U. Battery life has been a problem with the S22U so that was also a determining factor. Aesthetically I also prefer the look of the camera module on the S21U over the isolated camera bumps on the S22U. S pen was never a factor as I'd never use it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Other than the fact that it's a heavy device, I'm loving it. Buttery smooth, great reception, battery life is incredible and the cameras are amazing.

That is awesome! Regarding the device's weight, perhaps you'll get used to that in a little while. :) Enjoy your new phone!

Oct 19, 2018
Visit site
I'm very biased and have this awesome phone. So I'd say like others one of the best phones, camera and video out there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky