Why is there a 1/4 inch bar at the top of my screen that is dead when using S Pen?

cowboys703

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
1/4 inch bar at the top of my screen is dead when using S Pen

I just noticed this since I don't use landscape mode too often when using the S Pen. The area of my screen where the toolbar is located in the S Note app doesn't recognize my S Pen. A quick google search led me to believe it might have something to do with the magnets in my case? I'm not too sure about that since it is a Samsung case. This is my second Note 8 and is a refurbished model. Never had this issue with my first one and I had that one longer (and with the same case) than my current one.

Charles Olson

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: 1/4 inch bar at the top of my screen is dead when using S Pen

Simple scientific process: Take the case off and see if that spot is still dead without the case. I had the same problem in my Note 8 and finally realized it was a magnet in the case that was throwing off that one spot.

cowboys703

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: 1/4 inch bar at the top of my screen is dead when using S Pen

I left it off for the night and it was still messed up. I guess I was wondering if it could cause a permanent defect

Lwellner8986

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I myself have had an issue with my S Pen jumping on the screen to another spot when trying to draw a straight line. I took it to the Verizon store and had the store associate take a look at it and he too was baffled. So we went over to the store model and started using my S Pen on that one and colored the whole screen black minus one spot which formed a circle that never allowed the S Pen to write there and it was about the size of a nickel. I have a refurbished warranty model being delivered tomorrow so we'll see what happens. But I'm believing this may just be a Note 8 defect.