Why is there a conversation with myself in whatsapp?

Tickleddragon

Oct 15, 2022
Visit site
My own phone number has appeared as a conversation in whatsapp. It's the phone number with area code, not my name. It has my photo etc. I didn't update the app or my phone, it appeared randomly this evening. I don't even have myself listed as a contact in my phone.

There is an incoming message saying 'waiting for this message. This may take a while'. If I write a message of my own to this conversation, it sends and shows as viewed immediately.

There are no other instances open in linked devices.

Any ideas why it's appeared? Should I be worried about my security?

ashune

Feb 4, 2018
Visit site
Have you recently installed any other messaging app or any other type of app that might have needed your phone number? It might have added the contact temporarily or something. As for the "awaiting message" thing, I have no clue. If someone were to log into your Whatsapp on another phone, it would have logged you out on this phone. Have you maybe played around with WhatsApp Web or desktop app? Check the "Connected devices" list in Whatsapp to check for new logins from desktop computers and web browsers. Also are you using the beta version of Whatsapp? It might just be a bug.

Tickleddragon

Oct 15, 2022
Visit site
Have you recently installed any other messaging app or any other type of app that might have needed your phone number? It might have added the contact temporarily or something. As for the "awaiting message" thing, I have no clue. If someone were to log into your Whatsapp on another phone, it would have logged you out on this phone. Have you maybe played around with WhatsApp Web or desktop app? Check the "Connected devices" list in Whatsapp to check for new logins from desktop computers and web browsers. Also are you using the beta version of Whatsapp? It might just be a bug.

Op here...

Thanks mr_master. I haven't installed any new apps recently. I've gone through my apps and there's nothing I don't recognise.

There are no connected devices listed. And I'm not in the beta program

Last edited by a moderator:

Tickleddragon

Oct 15, 2022
Visit site
Update - my profile picture just disappeared. A notification told me I didn't have one and asked me to upload one. But I've had the same one for years - it's just suddenly gone!

My own phone number has appeared as a conversation in whatsapp. It's the phone number with area code, not my name. It has my photo etc. I didn't update the app or my phone, it appeared randomly this evening. I don't even have myself listed as a contact in my phone.

There is an incoming message saying 'waiting for this message. This may take a while'. If I write a message of my own to this conversation, it sends and shows as viewed immediately.

There are no other instances open in linked devices.

Any ideas why it's appeared? Should I be worried about my security?

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Update - my profile picture just disappeared. A notification told me I didn't have one and asked me to upload one. But I've had the same one for years - it's just suddenly gone!

Whatsapp just rolled out a new feature to display profile pictures in notifications. Your profile picture disappearing could be from a slow connection and it just isn't loading.

Tickleddragon

Oct 15, 2022
Visit site
Whatsapp just rolled out a new feature to display profile pictures in notifications. Your profile picture disappearing could be from a slow connection and it just isn't loading.

No, it disappeared as in, whatsapp popped up a notification saying I didn't have one set and asking me to upload one. I went into settings and the one I've had for years was gone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000