Why is there a grey mark/line on my screen?

chrissyis

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
There is a grey line, dash or mark that has been there as long as I can remember. There is no action that happens.... It is not click able. Any idea which app or where this may be coming from or how to remove it? Has anyone seen anything like this before? I wasn't able to find anything similar searching for help. Thank you so much

Attachments

• 20180123_200936.jpg
    20180123_200936.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I can't see any grey mark or line where you circled -- does it only show up on the phone's screen, and not on the screenshot when viewed on another device?

chrissyis

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
Thank you. I was trying but the mark is not showing in the screen shot. I've attached a normal photo of my device screen now...

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's probably a screen defect. I'd make sure all of your important data is backed up or synced (since the screen might start deteriorating more quickly without warning), then contact Samsung for warranty repair (assuming it's still under warranty). If there's no sign of external trauma, they ought to cover it. But if this was due to some kind of trauma like a drop (which could be evidenced by scrapes or dents), then they'll probably deny the warranty coverage, and you'd have to pay for the screen repair out of pocket.

chrissyis

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
Wow you think it's a screen defect huh? Its been there as long as I can remember.... Possibly before this device even, which is only maybe a year old...
I could research sending it in for a defect.... I really think it's some app I have....

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Wow you think it's a screen defect huh? Its been there as long as I can remember.... Possibly before this device even, which is only maybe a year old...
I could research sending it in for a defect.... I really think it's some app I have....
If it doesn't show up on screenshots, it's hardware.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

If it's due to an app you installed, it should go away in Safe Mode: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28008. If it persists, then it's most likely a hardware issue.

cheryl73

May 2, 2018
Visit site
There is a grey line, dash or mark that has been there as long as I can remember. There is no action that happens.... It is not click able. Any idea which app or where this may be coming from or how to remove it? Has anyone seen anything like this before? I wasn't able to find anything similar searching for help. Thank you so much

I have this same issue, mine is in the same side but higher up. Started a few weeks ago. Did you ever figure out a fix?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I have this same issue, mine is in the same side but higher up. Started a few weeks ago. Did you ever figure out a fix?

Does yours show up on screenshots (take a screenshot of a white screen and upload it to a computer or Google Photos or something, and look at it on another screen). Alternatively you can use SideSync or Miracast to show your phone screen on a TV or another screen.

If it doesn't show up in a screenshot or when cast/mirrored to another screen, it's almost certainly a hardware problem and will probably require replacing the screen to fix.

If it shows up in screenshot/mirror then it's a software problem of some kind.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol