Why root the N7 (seriously)?

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Not trolling here, just can't see any reason to root this device, as easy as it is with the NRT. Compared to my SG4, which I'd love to root so I can dump all the Samsung/AT&T crap, the N7 seems lean and mean to me. Why are those of you who have rooted your N7s done so? Custom ROMs seems to be the only reason I can figure. Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) So you can run apps that need root.

2) So you can run su if you're in a terminal or adb.

3) To be able to modify things in the system area.

Custom ROMs? No, installing a custom ROM means that you're installing a rooted ROM, you don't root the stock ROM just to overwrite it with a rooted one.

If you don't need to do 1, 2 or 3, you don't need to root your phone. (Even if you want to flash a custom ROM, you don't need to root the current ROM, but you'll end up with a rooted ROM since almost all custom ROMs are rooted.)

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Ad blocking is one of my main reasons and exposed framework is another

Sent from my rooted Vzw LG G3 on a couch in Portland Oregon

Sheldonh50

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I rooted mine mostly to install TWRP so I can do nandroid backups. Plus installing Xposed and Titanium BU... but I root all my devices. I'm not big on custom ROMS though.

Posted via the Android Central App

661omar

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I will soon be rooting my N7 as muh gateway to learn and explore that aspect of the Android OS and hopefully, eventually, get to root all of my other devices for all the above reasons, and more!

pb5525

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted mine with wugfresh. I did not need to just thought I would. really dont need to root the N7 2013 at all in my opinion.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, now the question isn't "should I root it?", it's "should I upgrade to 5.02?" To some, that's a no-brainer, but I'm not sure I want to deal with learning the quirks of a new OS. Kinda the way I feel about the Win10 tech preview. Must be gettin' old ;)

Sheldonh50

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm also kind of leary about the new Lollipop Android build, 4.4.4 is so smooth and my devices run great with it... But as soon as I can, I'll upgrade in a heartbeat. I can always go back to Kit Kat if I want.

Now Windows 10. NO WAY! I'm happy with 7 and don't want a Windows Vista fiasco happening on my PC. 😆

grininja

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Old thread but let me tell you why I decided to root my Nexus 7. Because of double tap to wake. Or swipe to wake. Or both, as I wish ;). Using this feature daily in my Lumia 830 and I really missed that. And it is really useful.
Then, because of improved customization of Cyanogenmod, not because I need it, but because of amount of fun when playing with it.
Currently I am running CM12 with ElementalX kernel and tap to wake works flawlessly.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm also kind of leary about the new Lollipop Android build, 4.4.4 is so smooth and my devices run great with it... But as soon as I can, I'll upgrade in a heartbeat. I can always go back to Kit Kat if I want.

Now Windows 10. NO WAY! I'm happy with 7 and don't want a Windows Vista fiasco happening on my PC. ??????

Well, now that the 5.1 image is available for the 2013 Wifi, I may bite the bullet and sideload it (since Google is only offering 5.0.2 OTA), and then root it. As noted above, if it sucks, I can alway go back to KitKat. As for Win10, I seriously doubt the new leadership at MS is going to let a Vista fiasco happen again. I'm looking forward to 10, but not til the official release. Win7 is beginning to feel a bit long in the tooth.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

Now Windows 10. NO WAY! I'm happy with 7 and don't want a Windows Vista fiasco happening on my PC. 😆

Well, now that the 5.1 image is available for the 2013 Wifi, I may bite the bullet and sideload it (since Google is only offering 5.0.2 OTA), and then root it. As noted above, if it sucks, I can alway go back to KitKat. As for Win10, I seriously doubt the new leadership at MS is going to let a Vista fiasco happen again. I'm looking forward to 10, but not til the official release. Win7 is beginning to feel a bit long in the tooth.

beachfl1

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Adblock and full Titanium Backups, as mentioned... also to mount and use USB external drives... can't live without Samba filesharing...