Why the new Note 7 MAY(or MAY NOT) be a good idea to buy...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
How is it an upgrade from the note 5? Give me the positives.

Posted via the *Note 5*

Better screen, better FPS, better camera, better processor, larger battery, adds microSD card slot, better software, it's newer so it'll be supported longer, probably faster storage, larger internal storage, etc, etc.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Better screen, better FPS, better camera, better processor, larger battery, adds microSD card slot, better software, it's newer so it'll be supported longer, probably faster storage, larger internal storage, etc, etc.

This may come across negative, but none of those seen better IMHO. The Note 5 seems to do well enough in all those areas. 64gb on my phone is good. I can charge anywhere I'm at or use my portable charger.

Plus, I don't get the "newer so it'll be supported longer" to those who don't keep phones long unless you're keeping phones 2 plus years. My dad has an S2 and it's still working good enough for him on Android 2.something. I could go another year on my Note 5, supported or not.

I want to be convinced (that's why I asked), but the edge screen and new port to buy more dangles just puts me off and nothing seems revolutionary.

Posted via the *Note 5*

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This may come across negative, but none of those seen better IMHO. The Note 5 seems to do well enough in all those areas. 64gb on my phone is good. I can charge anywhere I'm at or use my portable charger.

Plus, I don't get the "newer so it'll be supported longer" to those who don't keep phones long unless you're keeping phones 2 plus years. My dad has an S2 and it's still working good enough for him on Android 2.something. I could go another year on my Note 5, supported or not.

I want to be convinced (that's why I asked), but the edge screen and new port to buy more dangles just puts me off and nothing seems revolutionary.

Posted via the *Note 5*

It might not be a huge upgrade, but you asked what was making it an upgrade. Those are some of the things they improved upon. Saying the Note 5 is good enough is totally plausible, it was a good phone - but the Note 7 is obviously better. Is it better enough to warrant the cost of trading up? That's up to each buyer. :) You're absolutely right that there is nothing revolutionary, this is just a new and improved version of the exact same thing. Sort of a Note 5 meets S7 Edge type of device.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
It's not suppose to be an upgrade from a Note 5 unless someone is just infatuated with upgrading. The Note 5 is still just a year old.

Posted via the Android Central App

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
This may come across negative, but none of those seen better IMHO. The Note 5 seems to do well enough in all those areas.

"We'll enough" does not equal to just as good. The Note 7 will without a doubt be better (especially since the 5 was a downgrade from the 4 for most since it lacked SD card support and had a smaller battery).

I owned the 5 and it is a VERY capable device but the 7 is most definitely better for the many reasons already stated in other posts.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Posted via the *Note 5*

While I get for your needs it may not seem like much and as you said the S2 still works for your Dad but this post goes to show .. It is 100% up to you. You asked what was an upgrade so we told you.. It is up to you decide if it is worth you shelling out the cash you work for. Your Dad? Probably loves his S2. If I use a phone that is a year old I feel sad. Are either of us wrong? No, we both have different needs / wants :).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Samsung lowered the bar with the Note 5 (compared to typical features available on prior Note devices), so there isn't much they need to do to make subsequent Notes more appealing. Consider yourselves "punked", well except for many of us diehard Note aficionados who saw past it and continue to hang on to our Note 4's!!! :)
But are you punked if you didn't care about the features? ;).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
But are you punked if you didn't care about the features? ;).

Absolutely not, unless there is an objective reason one ought to care about those features (which there in this case isn't).

As Synycalwon indicated, we value different things in device and for me, the features that went away from the 4 to the 5 were both things I was happy to see go, the disappointments were the smaller battery and the glass body. When I found out that battery life was much better on the 5 than on the 4, that means the 5 knocked it out of the park IMO compared to the 4. For what I value in phones, the Note 5 was better at literally everything except for possibly durability than the 4. For me, that means all the improvements on the 7 over the 5 make it ever much more so better than the 4. So for me 7 > 5 > 4.

For other users who really need to have a removable battery or really don't want a glass phone (because let's be honest, fragility is a thing that really exists - even my spell checker agrees), the Note 5 kinda sucks and the Note 7 does nothing to rectify the things absent from the 5 except Micro SD - which by doubling the storage from 32 to 64, the MicroSD card is a bit of a moot point for most users. For those users 7 > 5, but 4 > 7 so 4 > 7 > 5.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
The Note 7 will be an excellent phone for those with the Note 4 and earlier. My Note 5 is only eight months old and is functioning very well. One caveat... be prepared to pay Cloe to ONE THOUSAND BUCKS when you easily factor in taxes and maybe more when you add in a case and an extra charger and cable. These phones are getting very expensive.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The Note 7 will be an excellent phone for those with the Note 4 and earlier. My Note 5 is only eight months old and is functioning very well. One caveat... be prepared to pay Cloe to ONE THOUSAND BUCKS when you easily factor in taxes and maybe more when you add in a case and an extra charger and cable. These phones are getting very expensive.

The S7 Edge was around $800 IIRC. If T-Mobile has a BOGO deal I will be able to snag one for around $400ish if the price is near the Edge :).

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

Unless you're getting subsidized pricing.

JeromeM

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm hoping for a good price on contract, I'm not sure if it's different here in Canada but usually by signing the 2 year contract they subsidize about $25 a month so say $600 cdn making the device likely still in the $400 ish CDN range. Since my work pays for my monthly bill (not my device though) no sense in me paying full price and might still be cheaper than the ZTE Axon 7 that I have on pre order (Grey model coming out ~Aug 15th), if that's the case I'll be cancelling the Axon 7 to go with Note 7 even if it's released a bit later.