Wi-Fi on when turned off, keeps trying to connect.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the Sprint S4 but try going to settings > Wi-Fi (actually click on Wi-Fi, not just turn it off) then click on Smart mode, it will go to a new screen and then in the top right you can move the slider to off.

Hope this helps! It seems to be working on mine. I like you was about to throw my phone out the window it was pissing me off so much.

This.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

csingerus

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem. If nothing else is working, try this:
Settings>more settings>mobile networks>network mode. If the network mode is set to global, that may be your problem. Click LTE / CDMA to re-establish your 4G connection and exit. Make sure wifi is turned off and you should be good. Hope this helps you!

Running with scissors and my Verizon Samsung Galaxy SIII 4G LTE phone.

Blesd1

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
:) At long last! This is the answer! Settings>More Settings>Mobile networks>Connections optimizer>Uncheck box that says "automatically select best mobile network"

My WiFi hasn't cut back on automatically since I've done. Thank you for posting this. :-*

Blesd1

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
:):):) At long last! This is the answer! Settings>More Settings>Mobile networks>Connections optimizer>Uncheck box that says "automatically select best mobile network"

My WiFi hasn't cut back on automatically since I've done. Thank you for posting this. :-*

Crystal Beck

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I was having this same problem. Do you by chance have AT&T? With the new system upgrade (I'm still on the galaxy s3) I had a lot of new stuff pop up. I found an app called AT&T smart wi-fi. I opened it and there was an option to disable the automatic connection. May want to see if that's what's doing it on yours too. :)

TheMysticCraft

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I am having similar issues. I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 from AT&T and have been having WIFI issues since I upgraded from the Note 2 (which is a shame because I never had these isses with the Note 2).
When I am at home, WIFI is fine and always stays connected. When I am at work, it has to accept the guest agreement to connect. Has no issue pulling the agreement up, but keeps lagging after clicking 'Agree'. Then says it fails to connect. This will happen 7 - 8 times before it will finally connect. It will then randomly disconnect, which is annoying when trying to do work; then go through the 7 - 8 tries again before re-connecting.
If I shut WIFI off, it will still randomly connect!

I have disabled everything imaginable (ATT WIFI App - which made it worse and wouldn't connect at all. Auto network switch, always allow scanning, keep WIFI on during sleep...ect) and followed all the tips in this forum; nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions?

Tayler Beebe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I was having the same issue. I went into my settings then went into more settings go into mobile networks and uncheck connections optimizer fixed my problem completely :)

Might be bit different for yours I have a Samsung gs3

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
OK setting wifi menu button advanced wifi unchecked auto connect and always scan
Also turn off pass point that's how the att app gets started
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Danielle Baldridge

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
1. Are you using the Samsung BatteryGuru app?

2. In the AT&T Smart WIFI app, if you set it to any option other than the lowest setting, it'll keep turning wifi on. I eventually killed the AT&T Smart WIFI app.

Omg! I used to have an s4 and never had this problem but with the note 3 I was. Anyway, via the wifi settings page I unchecked everything but it was still doing it. Your second suggestion did the trick! Thank you so much for posting. It's such a simple solution but I never would have found it on my own. Thanks again. Your the best!! :D

Mitali Gupta

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
hey,
i had been having the same problem with my droid.
I resorted to going to 'settings' and clicking the 'forget network' option to use my pack data without unwanted disconnections.
However, since i flit btw wifi and data pack a lot, this was highly cumbersome.
So i dug deeper.
Strangely enough, i found the problem was not with the wifi settings per se.
The root of the problem was in the power settings of my device.

go to settings > power management> deselect or turn off the 'location based wifi' * option

and voila! problem solved!

*Location based wifi allows your wifi to connect automatically when an open network is available.

Hope this helps.

mrjhonesgm

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
I am going crazy with this phone. I LOVE the droid after being a forced IPhone sheep for years. but some things i can't quite figure out.

Something on this thing keeps forcing wifi to turn on. I don't want it to do this. I want to enable wifi only when i want to use it. I don't want it automatically connecting to att wifi areas, and i don't want it to just 'pop' on.

Currenly, even with wifi turned OFF, i get constant popups of connection failures, that it keeps wanting me to connect, and says it failed. i cancel the message out,then go into settings, sure enough, wifi is completely turned off....

Then i get the popup again. i cannot even describe how annoying this is. i dont want to use wifi, ever, unless i manually turn it on. I also downloaded this 'better wifi' app that doesn't fix the problem at all.

1. I can't figure out what is forcing wifi on, but i want to stab it in the face,
2. if i have wifi turned off, i dont wan it to ever, under any circumstances, try to connect without me doing it.

is this possible? i'm sure this is purely my fault, and i did something stupid, i just can't figure out what i did.

FYI this is a new Galaxy S4, The new love of my life

Hi. I had the same problem and I solved it by going to Settings / Application manager.
Then you have to check the apps that had the "Permission: Connect and disconnect from Wifi" set. So you have to uninstall the app or force it to stop. In my case Avast Anti-theft app had that permission set, drilling my battery and getting on my nerves.
Best regards from México.
Hasta pronto amigos androidianos!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia