WiFi issues

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Don't notice any WiFi issues on G5

Posted via the Android Central App

The range is very short, particularly on 5 ghz, compared with other phones (S7E, iPhones, etc.). I can have all of them on the same network and the G5 and 10 will drop the 5 ghz network at the exact same place when the others will still hold it.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
this has to be a software issue but though itf not every one is experiencing it then it cant be the hardware its self I would try a factory reset and then see what happens. the thing is that not every one is having this problem.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
this has to be a software issue but though itf not every one is experiencing it then it cant be the hardware its self I would try a factory reset and then see what happens. the thing is that not every one is having this problem.

I agree. It's not inherent to all of these phones. I just brought our phones outside to test just now and the 10 beat the M8 and MotoG for Wi-Fi reception pretty easily. It's as good or better than my old OneX, which had a plastic body and great reception. Wish there was an easy answer. HTC is great with updates so hopefully this will get worked out for those having problems.

Bpschoon81

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
If you are having Wi-Fi issues you probably need a 5GHZ wireless router. If your phone is dropping the signal, it's your router.

My router operates on both 2.4 & 5 GHz, as I stated above. I have issues connected to either, and none of my other wifi devices have these issues. HTC is sending me a third phone though. We'll see if it improves.

Bpschoon81

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
No its not. Read the thread. The 10s don't get as strong a signal at distance as the other devices. They connect and aren't getting booted. I also have Google fiber so my 4 TV boxes act as repeaters. I can look at my network and diagnose the connection to every device.

Its the phone, not the network.

Bpschoon81

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
As a person who deals with antennas on a daily basis. Since when does a phone have range? It's called LOS first and foremost and that comes from the antenna off your router. If your router doesn't have antennas, get one with antennas and you will notice a huge difference.

If an airmen on the ground can't hear me talking to him from the plane it's not his radio on the ground with him. It's usually due to lack of LOS. And I can try switching the antenna position on the plane, especially if I'm transmitting out of the top antenna.

We see this issue every year with the phone getting kicked offline. It's always the persons router/settings.

JFC its not getting kicked off. Its not getting a strong signal. -72 dBm compared to -40 for the A9. Its weaker than every other device connected to the same network box at the same distance from the box.

Keep thinking you know what's occurring, that's fine. Others are reporting the same thing as well. You have no idea the network set up I have nor the diagnostics run on the connections.

Bpschoon81

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Nobody else is having this issue. I have an ASUS dual band 900 gigabit router and I've never had any issues with range or dropped connections aside from my directv genie. Which is a know issue. So I used an ethernet cable, problem solved.

Literally 5 other people within the first 10 posts of the thread plus threads on xda and reddit. Just admit you didn't read a thing in the thread and move on. You've contributed literally nothing constructive. Just waving off an issue because you didn't notice it.

Bpschoon81

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Just admit you have no clue how "range" actually works. It's not 100% dependent on the Wi-Fi radio. Your busted network is the problem. Let someone who know what they are doing fix it because you need a lot of help understanding what I am trying to convey.

Yep. My Google fiber network with 4 range repeaters at all ends of the house is the problem. The fact that every other WiFi device has no issues is not the problem. Its that the 2 brand new 10s require me to reset my network box because you assert that the network is booting them when they get too far from the repeaters.

Never mind that they report weaker signals at the same distance from the boxes than every other device. Its that some how my Google fiber network is crap and it took until the HTC 10 to expose it. I'm sure you're right. Can't be the phone. Has to be the network and its horrible, horrible range that every other device deals with just fine.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Guys. Chill! Interesting discussion.

I've not noticed any WiFi issues with my new 10 but decided to do a quick test: using the app WiFi Analyzer on the channel view, I put my 10, my OG Turbo, and my M7 side-by-side and walked around the house, into the back yard, and out into the driveway in front. My favorite surfing location (the "throne room", three walls away from my router) has the worst reception in the house, but fairly consistently my 10 held a 10dBm+/- advantage over the Turbo, and held onto the signal longer as I walked away from the house on the front sidewalk. FWIW, the 10 seems to have a more sensitive (?) WiFi antenna, consistently showing more of my neighbors signals than the Turbo. Ironically, my M7 generally held a 3-4dBm advantage over the 10! Bottom line: the 10 is better at WiFi than what I've been used to for the past almost two years, which is good enough for me!

PS: I fail to see how the state of a wired network can affect WiFi range; you can have a strong WiFi signal even when your internet cable or fiber is disconnected from the wifi router (try it!). The "strength" of a WiFi signal should be related solely to the power/physical configuration of the wifi antenna (in the router or extender), the distance between the antenna and the receiver (the phone), the signal obstructions between same, and the efficiency of the receiver's antenna in "catching" the signal. In my test (and the OP's) the only variable is the efficiency of the phone's receiving antenna.

A problematic network can affect connection state (I can't connect to the internet) or throughput/speed (my internet is slow) but should have no effect on wifi range.

Sorry... too much time on my hands this afternoon!

Posted via the 10

Last edited:

Bpschoon81

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes. We all know this. You aren't imparting any special knowledge. But again, it had nothing to do with the original problem; that the 10 doesn't read as strong a signal as older devices at the same range from the same antenna.

It's not getting kicked off the network. It's not as fast as the other devices or it intermittently drops out. We can measure the signal strength on the devices. I posted the results earlier. You can't argue with math. So please, next time read a thread before you just jump in and think all the end users are morons, or that Google doesn't know how to set up a network.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
the problem is you yourself are not reading your own thread for there have been people who have doen the same test and have said that the 10 gets better range then you are reporting. So it is not all 10's that are doing it again not everyone is having your issue so it has to be like the guy said it cant just be the phone or it would be every single HTC 10 out there and that is not the case. So you need to be a bit more understanding when someone is trying to help, there is another post that states that the 10 gets better range then the nexus 6p, so I don't know what is interfering with your network but it can be a number of things. because it does seem to be just you and a few other people. because there are people on here who has said that there's is working better then there older phones.
Yes. We all know this. You aren't imparting any special knowledge. But again, it had nothing to do with the original problem; that the 10 doesn't read as strong a signal as older devices at the same range from the same antenna.

It's not getting kicked off the network. It's not as fast as the other devices or it intermittently drops out. We can measure the signal strength on the devices. I posted the results earlier. You can't argue with math. So please, next time read a thread before you just jump in and think all the end users are morons, or that Google doesn't know how to set up a network.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia