WiFi or Data... Samsung giving choice back to the people

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm not branded with them so there may be other things I'm missing that I don't realize I'm missing not having a branded device, but I have video calling through Duo and have on all of my devices. Do they offer any other kind of VC or do you just not know about Duo?

I know about duo, I use it very little as I use video calling very little in general. The issue with duo calling is most people don't know about it or have it activated, and getting them to get it running is about impossible. Verizon even gives duo as a option on some phones, when they clock the video call it says carrier or duo, but they a!ways go with carrier because it's up and running. It's just like messaging apps. If they would download something like Whatsapp we could send videos, but it's not stock so they won't do it.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I've had similar thoughts about good vs evil, I mean WiFi vs mobile data. And perhaps that's part of the reasoning behind it the push. How many times have we seen people here looking for help because their update was interrupted, failed to fully download or some other glitch type event, presumably over carrier data? If it prevents one call, one upset or distraught customer perhaps it's worth the inconvenience. I just can't get past not everyone has WiFi. Sure they can probably get to someplace that does but... And for people like me who would like to get them update but then end up being far from home when it pops up. I almost always seem to be at work when my updates are available. So with unlimited data I kinda feel like it should be my choice... Just saying.
Exactly, if it's given as a choice then there no issue. For me, I have Verizon home LTE internet which gives me around 50 Mbps speed, I get over a 100 speed direct thru the phone, so for me it's usually quicker thru the phone and it's the same risk either way. I've never had Verizon data issues.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok so all month I've been only checking for updates when there's no WiFi, hoping that it never automatically updated while I was home. So I checked today and see the images for yourself. I'm still just as lost on who is responsible, Samsung or Verizon/carriers, which ever I'm not mad about it.
478ba8c5dfb50d535313167dc2a43808.jpg
ddc6e713903d1070fd28cb5b035c43d7.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok so all month I've been only checking for updates when there's no WiFi, hoping that it never automatically updated while I was home. So I checked today and see the images for yourself. I'm still just as lost on who is responsible, Samsung or Verizon/carriers, which ever I'm not mad about it.
478ba8c5dfb50d535313167dc2a43808.jpg
ddc6e713903d1070fd28cb5b035c43d7.jpg
I think it up to the carrier who allows over mobile data

lxxkindbudxxl

Apr 23, 2022
Visit site
I always hate checking for updates at work because I don't have access to their WiFi. It's frustrating because I can see that there is an update but I'm not able to download it. So today I'm scrolling around the forum and noticed a thread talking about updates and I hadn't gotten one since I got my S22U, which we usually do get one either right out of the box or very shortly there after. So for fun I decided to check just to see if it was available. It was. Not sure why but I pushed the download button expecting I was going to get the usual, please connect to WiFi to download, but to my utter surprise it started downloading. I rubbed my eyes and checked my data status, yup still on 5G. When it finished downloading, I installed the update. All without being at home.

Since I've owned a Samsung device I have never been able to download over data, which I never understood because; one not everyone has WiFi. I mean practically everyone does or has access to it somewhere but still not everyone. I picture people going to McDonalds or Burger King, I guess some might go to a Starbuck's but the Buckers among us would likely have WiFi so maybe not, anyway, all just to get the update for their device. Two, so many people have unlimited plans these days. It tells you how big the download is so why stop us from deciding for ourselves. It just never made sense to me and maybe you have your own take on why WiFi only was good or bad?

Curious if anyone else has noticed this?

I'm curious now if it's an S22 thing or have they across the board began allowing it for all devices?

I cannot figure out how to download via moblie data. S22 ultra with Verizon an att unlimited plans

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I cannot figure out how to download via moblie data. S22 ultra with Verizon an att unlimited plans

I didn't do anything special other than use the Software update option in settings to see if there was an update available then use the download button that appeared with it to see if it would allow me to download the update. Pull down your notifications shade touch the gear icon to open Settings>scroll to the bottom, 5 from the bottom, Software update>Download and install>If there is an update available attempt to download it. Obviously there has to be an update available, if there isn't then you may have to wait until next month when they start rolling them out in your neck of the woods.

This doesn't force an update. This just allows you to update if there is one available.

Now I'm strictly on Verizon, no virtual SIM or any other plans, just straight Verizon. I'm confused how you have both Verizon and AT&T unlimited? I mean if I was going to get a virtual SIM I wouldn't make the second most expensive carrier my back-up SIM but hey to each their own. See this goes back to who is allowing this, Verizon, Samsung, carriers in general? The consensus that is trending is it is controlled by the carriers and seems to be device specific. If you look back in the thread there was another Big Red user that could get the update on their S22 but not their S9 but if memory serves there was an AT&T S22 user that wasn't able to get the update via mobile data. I don't know how difficult it is to remove and install a virtual SIM but perhaps if you uninstalled that SIM checked for the update and then installed it again after you were finished...? But again there has to be an update available.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis