Wifi Question(s)

kennedy27403

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if the Wifi radio works differently than the GPS one. Supposedly you can leave GPS on all the time, and it will only drain battery when an app that uses it is opened (Google maps, navigation) etc. Is this the case for Wifi as well or if left on will it always be searching for a signal, thus draining battery constantly?

keenan6

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I have mine on every time I'm home.

Sometimes I forget to turn it off when I leave, but I haven't noticed a different in battery life...

toddpedersen

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
There might be other programs out there that are free, but JuideDefender which is free, has an add on called Juice Defender Ultimate for $2 I think, that automatically turns your wifi on and off when you leave home or any other location you use wifi most often at.

I have mine on every time I'm home.

Sometimes I forget to turn it off when I leave, but I haven't noticed a different in battery life...

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if the Wifi radio works differently than the GPS one. Supposedly you can leave GPS on all the time, and it will only drain battery when an app that uses it is opened (Google maps, navigation) etc. Is this the case for Wifi as well or if left on will it always be searching for a signal, thus draining battery constantly?

Supposedly leaving wifi on will drain your battery. I've never tested it, but that's what I've read. It may depend on whether you have the "Notify me when a open network is available" option is selected. If so then your phone will be always scanning for a network. I always turn my wifi off.

It should also be noted that when you're at home (or anywhere that you have access to wifi), using wifi is less of a batter drain than using the cellular data network.

kennedy27403

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
How safe is using unfamiliar open networks? I've heard that your info (passwords, etc) can be accessed through the network. Would that apply any time you're using their internet or only if you're using sites that require your info (ie, is it safe if you're just browsing the web, not doing online banking, logging into accounts, etc.)?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Tech