Wifi settings crash when trying to open available wifi connections

Lauwer

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and since the last Android upgrade I can't go to the list with available wifi connections anymore in settings. The moment I touch 'Wi-Fi', the settings crash and I get the message "Settings has stopped. Open app again"
I've reset the phone to factory settings but this didn't help.

When I click the Wifi icon from the dropdown screen at the top of the phone's screen, I am able to connect to open connections, but every time I touch the name of a secure wifi connection, the settings crash again and I get the same error message as mentioned above. The secure wifi connections that were already saved in my phone, do still work and connect automatically.
I hope someone can help me with this problem...

Electr0

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Breaking News - Possible Fix Found

This morning I may have accidentally discovered a fix, by pure chance.

I turned my phone on and a message came up, along the lines of:
"You have over 200 Wifi access points saved. Would you like to delete the the oldest 259 to improve you Wifi experience?"

I pressed yes, and low and behold, my Wifi settings crash issue seems to be resolved. My Wifi also turns on an off a lot faster that is has since I've been experiencing the settings crash issue.

I've done a quick search and to do this manually it seems the following ways should work:
  • Settings -> Lock screen and security -> Other security settings ->Clear credentials
  • General management -> Reset -> Reset network settings
  • Clear the wpa_supplicant.conf file if your phone is rooted (Guide)
  • Download a Third Party Wifi connection manager, navigate to 'Known Networks' and then Clear All (no specific app noted)
* Sources: Android Central Thread, Stack Exchange Thread

I hope this can solve our issue!
@Woland1 @Lauwer @Alx75
Please try out this solution and report back if it works.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Excellent detective work! It sure seems odd that this would be enough to cause a problem, but if you demonstrated improvement after paring down that list, that sounds like the solution!

Zingapuro

Jun 12, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys,

Just wanted to thank Electr0, insight seems to have solved my problem. Just to clarify, I'm running Android 7.1.1, OxygenOS 4.1.3 on OnePlus3, and this single step solved my problem:

Settings -> Backup & Reset -> Reset Network Settings

Unfortunately, I lost all my saved WiFi passwords -- but it's worth it to stop that annoying Settings crash (sometimes it would happen 10 times in a row before I could finally access my WiFi...)

So yeah -- thanks Electr0 :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001