Wifi settings crash when trying to open available wifi connections

Lauwer

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and since the last Android upgrade I can't go to the list with available wifi connections anymore in settings. The moment I touch 'Wi-Fi', the settings crash and I get the message "Settings has stopped. Open app again"
I've reset the phone to factory settings but this didn't help.

When I click the Wifi icon from the dropdown screen at the top of the phone's screen, I am able to connect to open connections, but every time I touch the name of a secure wifi connection, the settings crash again and I get the same error message as mentioned above. The secure wifi connections that were already saved in my phone, do still work and connect automatically.
I hope someone can help me with this problem...

Alx75

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

I have the same problem.
I downloaded and installed whatever update that was new and available 2 days ago, and ever since, I cannot access the wifi seetings.
Like Lawer said, I can't see/choose the available networks anymore.

So i factory reset my phone, which took care of the problem, until I reinstalled my apps etc.. from Smart Switch.
From there, the probleme happened again.
From what I've read online, it could be related to one of my apps, but I have taken out my sd card, and uninstalled all the non-stock apps, and the problem is still there, even with a safe mode reboot.

Any ideas?
Thanks all

Lauwer

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your response P. Diddy, I just tried safe mode and yes, still exactly the same problem :-(

I have contacted the Dutch Samsung help center but they sent me to the repair shop, I have an appointment with them tomorrow, will let you guys now if they find the problem.

Woland1

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your response P. Diddy, I just tried safe mode and yes, still exactly the same problem :-(

I have contacted the Dutch Samsung help center but they sent me to the repair shop, I have an appointment with them tomorrow, will let you guys now if they find the problem.

Let us know. I talked to their online support and they weren't helpful in the slightest, just suggested cache wipe/restart, which I told them I had already done. Then they just suggested factory reset.

Lauwer

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Found a workaround: install wifi password manager by osmanapps since it replaces the existing wifi manager.

Smart thinking, thanks for letting me know!! I wasted a lot of time today at the Samsung repair shop and on the process of re-installing afterwards :-( I think they just set the phone back to factory settings, still have the same problem. Thanks again for the great tip!

Woland1

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
Another workaround I found:
1. turn off wifi
2. open the built-in wifi app while it's still off
3. turn on wifi while already in it via the slider in the top right
4. the wifi app will now work, at least for a bit

Last edited:

Electr0

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Hi, didn't find a real fix but the 2 workarounds of Woland1 described in the replies here are great! Have been using it a lot already. Hope this helps....

That's unfortunate.

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

I've been scouring Xda, Reddit, Google Forums, etc and it seems that a few people are experiencing it. I've tried cleaning all the different caches, booting in safe mode (still occurs) and even a master reset and nothing seems to work.

I posted here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7/help/wifi-settings-force-closes-settings-t3585750
But got nothing.

Lauwer

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
That's unfortunate.

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

I've been scouring Xda, Reddit, Google Forums, etc and it seems that a few people are experiencing it. I've tried cleaning all the different caches, booting in safe mode (still occurs) and even a master reset and nothing seems to work.

It's very weird that not that many people experience it.... I thought maybe more people would have posted about it by now. The (Dutch) Samsung helpdesk people didn't hear about the problem yet last week. I also did the exact same actions as you did and wasted a lot of time on factory resets and a useless visit to the Samsung repair center. I wonder if it's a particular app that we use that causes this!

Electr0

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Sorry for the delayed reply, I'm travelling at the moment.

I wonder if it's a particular app that we use that causes this!
Perhaps so?

Maybe we can try and work out what's going on here together. Another user @ac Question is having the same problem over here.

All three of us have only started experiencing this problem since updating to Nougat.

I'm currently on this setup:
  • Android Version: 7.0
  • Baseband Version: G930FXXU1DQBH
  • Kernel Version: 3.18.14-10422490, dpi@SWHE8814 #1 , Mon Mar 13 19:22:59 KST 2017
  • Build Number: NRD90M.G930FXXS1DQCE
  • Android Security Patch Level: 1 March 2017

Perhaps we should both compile a list of app to see which we both have?

Last edited:

Electr0

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
@Alx75 and @Woland1 do you still have this issue? Did either of you end up finding a fix?

If you still have the issue, would you mind filling out the following details:

• Android Version:
  • Baseband Version:
  • Kernel Version:
  • Build Number:
  • Android Security Patch Level:

Woland1

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
@Alx75 and @Woland1 do you still have this issue? Did either of you end up finding a fix?

If you still have the issue, would you mind filling out the following details:

• Android Version:
  • Baseband Version:
  • Kernel Version:
  • Build Number:
  • Android Security Patch Level:
Yep, still have it, working with the workarounds I mentioned.

Android version: 7.0
Baseband Version: G920FXXU5EQB3
Kernel Version: 3.10.61
Build Number: NRD90M
Android Security Patch Level: Feb 1, 2017

Electr0

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Yep, still have it, working with the workarounds I mentioned.

Android version: 7.0
Baseband Version: G920FXXU5EQB3
Kernel Version: 3.10.61
Build Number: NRD90M
Android Security Patch Level: Feb 1, 2017

Cool, thanks for the info.

So it seems that this issue is related to Android 7.0 but has nothing to do with the Baseband, Kernel or Security Patch, as we both have the issue despite the aforementioned differences.

I tried to explore the option of reinstalling the firmware as @B. Diddy mentioned, but the guide using Samsung Smart Switch that he linked to does not work for the S7, at least in my case. The program states that this model of phone is not able to be initialised.

We've also established the following:
  • The issue occurs while the phone is in Safe Mode - As per here* (applies to Nexus devices but it should be ok to assume Safe Mode functions the same way on the S7) this means that no download app should be causing the issue.
  • Clearing the Dalvik/System Cache does not fix the issue
  • Clearing the App Cache does not fix the issue
  • Performing a Hard/Master reset does fix the issue (when a restoration IS completed afterwards)

Therefore we need to find out:
  • Whether a Hard/Master reset fixes the issue (when a restoration is NOT completed afterwards). As per the results when using the phone in Safe Mode, the expected result is that this does NOT fix the issue.
  • If reinstalling the firmware fixes the issue.

As per the above, it seems it must be an issue with the Firmware (Android Version) or one of the Stock Apps.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe