Wifi sharing

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I think a lot of you know this already, but I also know that a lot of you don't, mostly people coming to Samsung from other brands or OS like iPhones. Our phones, including the latest Samsung Flagships for the past couple of years, can share the Wifi connection, so you can create a Mobile Hotspot without data connection, this is perfect for Cruises and other situations like a Hotel Room and trying to set a Roku or other streaming devices while traveling.

I'm in the middle of a Cruise planning for November and while adding the Internet package to the room I remembered this unique feature (as far as I know only Samsung devices has it) so I just got the 1 device package instead of 4 devices package saving a lot of money by doing this. With this on, I should just connect my phone, turn on the Hotspot with the sharing the wifi connection option on, and the rest of my family can connect to the web through my phone.

I don't know if Verizon allowed it this time but they didn't last year, shame on them for their greedy policies and handicapping all Android devices.

So for those of you that would be interested on this, you just go to Mobile Hotspot settings and turn it on.

Last edited:

ihearlivepplz

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Had to read quite a few times to understand this but thank you, I honestly didn't know this was possible. I personally don't have use for it (yet) but I could definitely see potential use while traveling so that I would only have to pay for one device access to a hotel/plane/ship's wifi.

In case it wasn't clear, OP is referring to Samsung devices having the ability to use Mobile Hotspot with WiFi as the data connection rather than Mobile Data (3g/4g). Apparently this is not something common among other device manufacturer's but could be disabled by your carrier.

Activating it is as simple as Turing on the WiFi Sharing option under Hotspot settings.

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
If you have the unlocked version (or if you bought a different version but flashed the Unlocked firmware), then you can share wifi with no problems, regardless of what carrier or plan you are on.

If you bought a carrier specific phone (for example, the Verizon Galaxy S8), then you might have problems depending on what plan you have. For example, if you are using one of the older plans, they require you to pay a monthly fee in order to use wifi sharing.

Centerman66

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
If you have the unlocked version (or if you bought a different version but flashed the Unlocked firmware), then you can share wifi with no problems, regardless of what carrier or plan you are on.

If you bought a carrier specific phone (for example, the Verizon Galaxy S8), then you might have problems depending on what plan you have. For example, if you are using one of the older plans, they require you to pay a monthly fee in order to use wifi sharing.
I have the unlocked s8+ and do not have wifi sharing as an option. My carrier is AT&T so maybe it's them that is blocking this feature.

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the unlocked s8+ and do not have wifi sharing as an option. My carrier is AT&T so maybe it's them that is blocking this feature.

What do you see when you go to:

Settings -> Connections ?

Is there a an option for "Mobile hotspot and tethering" about midway down the screen? Or are you saying your phone is missing that option altogether?

Centerman66

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
What do you see when you go to:

Settings -> Connections ?

Is there a an option for "Mobile hotspot and tethering" about midway down the screen? Or are you saying your phone is missing that option altogether?
I have all of that. Just the option for wifi sharing is grayed out. Thanks AT&T.

Kurt Stuhler

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
This option is available on all smart phones and has been on all Samsung Galaxies. The option is provided by your carrier and the data plan you select, it has nothing to do with the phones options.
Verizon has had this option for many years now, your plan may not have been set up to use it.

To be able to use it, you need a cell phone signal, you can't connect to Wi-Fi and re-broadcast the Wi-Fi signal (it would feed back into itself) so before you go on your cruise, make sure the ship broadcasts a cell signal and not just a Wi-Fi signal.

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
This option is available on all smart phones and has been on all Samsung Galaxies. The option is provided by your carrier and the data plan you select, it has nothing to do with the phones options.
Verizon has had this option for many years now, your plan may not have been set up to use it.

To be able to use it, you need a cell phone signal, you can't connect to Wi-Fi and re-broadcast the Wi-Fi signal (it would feed back into itself) so before you go on your cruise, make sure the ship broadcasts a cell signal and not just a Wi-Fi signal.
YOU ARE WRONG!!

Read up:
http://wccftech.com/how-to-enable-galaxy-s7-wifi-sharing/

Kurt Stuhler

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
I guess that was for Verizon and Samsung. I use AT&T for my provider and I've had Wi-Fi sharing ever since I bought my first Samsung phone which was a Galaxy S5. Before that I had it on my iPhone 4 and 5.

Verizon has had Wi-Fi sharing for other phones such as the HTC One for several years, we have our field staff set up on them.

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I guess that was for Verizon and Samsung. I use AT&T for my provider and I've had Wi-Fi sharing ever since I bought my first Samsung phone which was a Galaxy S5. Before that I had it on my iPhone 4 and 5.

Verizon has had Wi-Fi sharing for other phones such as the HTC One for several years, we have our field staff set up on them.

You are still not getting it. "Wifi Sharing" is taking a wifi (not cellular) signal as source and boardcasting it as wifi hotspot to multiple devices.

Galaxy S5 is not capable of this.